X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derby74
    • Jun 2008

White Indian

This might be a bit confusing (most genealogy questions are!!), but I am going to try anyway!

My 2X great grand mother on my father's maternal side had two nephews that when they registered for the WWI Draft listed themselves as "White Indian". In their description they said they had black hair and brown eyes. At the time of registring they lived in Campbell Co, TN.

Now that you have that info, anybody know what a "White Indian" means?
    There are some of this part of my family that beleive this is where our "unproven" Indian connection comes from!
  • Yaffa
    • May 2007

Am Ind

If you are not in Dr. Pabon's Am Ind project you might want to join and ask her this question you have posted in the forum

With our premier suite of DNA tests and the world’s most comprehensive matching database...your DNA has met its match!

Comment

• purple flowers
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Derby74
      This might be a bit confusing (most genealogy questions are!!), but I am going to try anyway!

My 2X great grand mother on my father's maternal side had two nephews that when they registered for the WWI Draft listed themselves as "White Indian". In their description they said they had black hair and brown eyes. At the time of registering they lived in Campbell Co, TN.

There are some of this part of my family that believe this is where our "unproven" Indian connection comes from!
      this is hard , do you have any other stories about origins?
      we have two big problems when doing research .one is the word " indians", indians due to the British , dutch , and so on and do on ... are everywhere... the second one is British were hauling dot not feathers around the world also.

so this document is a government Document and it is the truth, we just do not know if it is Dot or Feather or even something else..unless you have lot more stories to go on, you might want to check for India immigrants onto the areas that your family was from.
      but these guys are not lying there is some kind of india-n or indians or west indians..
      say even from the British or dutch west Indian islands.. but lots of Tuscarora slaves went sent there too, that can still mean anything.
      I hate that word "Indians"!
      I know you just want to know the truth...whatever that is .
      but obviously this is a government document and they are not lying they have some cultural or blood connections to some kind of indians.. I just do not know today what they mean.
      do you have any other clues to go on?

Comment

• kawashkar
        • Aug 2006

My 2X great grand mother on my father's maternal side had two nephews that when they registered for the WWI Draft listed themselves as "White Indian". In their description they said they had black hair and brown eyes. At the time of registring they lived in Campbell Co, TN.
        White Indian means light mestizo. A person with some Indigenous ancestry but mainly European in phenotype.

Comment

• Donald Locke
          FTDNA Customer
          • Nov 2004

There are some of this part of my family that beleive this is where our "unproven" Indian connection comes from!
          I have never ever heard anyone call themselves a White Indian.

A white man with black hair and brown eyes, can discribe many peoples.
          But discribing yourself as a white indian with black hair and brown eyes seems to suggest your ancestors maybe European ( British ) Romany.

I would love to check in to this with you, would you mind telling me who your 2 male ancestors were in the draft so I can go view the draft records myself?

There are 5,433 men from Campbell County Tn. who signed up for the draft, help me narrow down that list

Comment

• tomcat
            FTDNA Customer
            • May 2005

From Lee Sultzman's tribal histories: "Also spelled Menomini, Menominee is from their own language meaning "good seed" or "wild-rice people." Other names were: Addle-Heads, Folles Avoines (French), Folsavoins (French), Kagi (Winnebago), Malhomini, Malouminek, Mendmene, Mineamie, Nation de la Folle Avoine (French), Nepaming, Omanomini (Ojibwe), Wild Oat People, and Wild Rice People (or Men). Because of their relatively light complexions, the Menominee have also been called the "White Indians.""

Comment

• purple flowers
              • Oct 2007

HUM the Menominee I think are said to be related to the RED Paint People/Maritime Archaic who were also fair. it is said that their women were tall and beautiful and fair . so it is said ... some of the most beautiful women were Menominee , some legends say .
              very simular type " beautiful" legends as the Perquimans women/Queens were said to have been .

both of these were also an algonquin language family I believe as was the Powhatan.

Comment

• Kaiser
                • Sep 2005

With 17.6% genes from India, we know what we are talking about: Somebody's g-g-g-grand-dad had an Indian maid.

Comment

• tomcat
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • May 2005

... anybody know what a "White Indian" means?
                  A couple other possibilities: they were mixed-race and described their ancestry with an unhyphenated White-Indian (as opposed to Black-Indian); or they were of an Indian family integrated into the White community (like the distinction between Reservation Indians and non-reservation Indians).

Comment

• rainbow
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by tomcat
                    A couple other possibilities: they were mixed-race and described their ancestry with an unhyphenated White-Indian (as opposed to Black-Indian); or they were of an Indian family integrated into the White community (like the distinction between Reservation Indians and non-reservation Indians).
                    That's what I was thinking too.

Comment

• tomcat
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by tomcat
                      From Lee Sultzman's tribal histories: "... the Menominee have also been called the "White Indians.""
                      Although the Menominee are MI and WI Indians and Derby74's ancestors are TN, the two regions are linked in the late 19th early 20th centuries by the fact that many Appalachian folk went north to WI for The Big Cut (timbering) and the Menominee reservation (now a WI county of the same name) comprised hundreds of square miles of virgin White Pine. The Menominee set up their own lumbering operation. So, if Derby74's ancestors have any connection to woodswork this might be a a connection to consider.

Comment

Working...
                      X