Q&A from Genographic presentation in Russia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A from Genographic presentation in Russia

This Russian-language forum thread reports on a lecture in Russia by Spencer Wells on the Genographic Project. I think it worthwhile to translate the Q&As into English, making use of my rusty Russian. The translation is rather literal.

1) Question: Is it planned to modify the Genographic Project web site so as to promote in customers the idea of joining genetic genealogy communities (similar to those that are on FTDNA's site)? We know that out of 209,000 Genographic participants only about 50,000 have joined FTDNA projects. Correspondingly, about 75% of all results are not accessible to the public, and that's about 150,000 results!

Answer: The databases of FTDNA and the Genographic Project are two different things. At the present time no changes are planned, since all results will be available (with limitations) in 2010--after the conclusion of the Project. It is quite probable that in October there will be a renovated web site which will acquire new functions (possibly a forum with communities).

2) Question: On the Worldwide Web a large number of works on the topic of population genetics are available. But they do not pertain to the Genographic Project. Prior to the conclusion of the Project, is there planned any release of scientific proceedings containing "interim" results of the Project's work?

Answer: This year a scientific paper will come out on some results of the Project's work. Also planned are the release of a new film and book for a wide public audience.

3) Question: Is it planned to renovate the Genographic Project web site to accommodate the Russian-language user?

Answer: By the end of the year a renovation of the site is planned. Added will be such European languages as German, Spanish, and French. The Russian language is planned for no earlier than next year. Also, the site will acquire new functions.

4) Question: In transferring one's data from FTDNA into the Genographic Project, some specific haplogroup information is lost. For example, I belong to O3a5. In transferring my data into your project I "became" O3. Will this loss of results be corrected?

Answer: At the present time stress is put on the basic haplogroup, and branches of some of them (O3, J2, and some others) are overlooked. This situation will be fixed to the degree we are able, tentatively by the end of the year.

Originally posted by lgmayka
    This Russian-language forum thread reports on a lecture in Russia by Spencer Wells on the Genographic Project. I think it worthwhile to translate the Q&As into English, making use of my rusty Russian. The translation is rather literal.

1) Question: Is it planned to modify the Genographic Project web site so as to promote in customers the idea of joining genetic genealogy communities (similar to those that are on FTDNA's site)? We know that out of 209,000 Genographic participants only about 50,000 have joined FTDNA projects. Correspondingly, about 75% of all results are not accessible to the public, and that's about 150,000 results!

Answer: The databases of FTDNA and the Genographic Project are two different things. At the present time no changes are planned, since all results will be available (with limitations) in 2010--after the conclusion of the Project. It is quite probable that in October there will be a renovated web site which will acquire new functions (possibly a forum with communities).

2) Question: On the Worldwide Web a large number of works on the topic of population genetics are available. But they do not pertain to the Genographic Project. Prior to the conclusion of the Project, is there planned any release of scientific proceedings containing "interim" results of the Project's work?

Answer: This year a scientific paper will come out on some results of the Project's work. Also planned are the release of a new film and book for a wide public audience.

3) Question: Is it planned to renovate the Genographic Project web site to accommodate the Russian-language user?

Answer: By the end of the year a renovation of the site is planned. Added will be such European languages as German, Spanish, and French. The Russian language is planned for no earlier than next year. Also, the site will acquire new functions.

4) Question: In transferring one's data from FTDNA into the Genographic Project, some specific haplogroup information is lost. For example, I belong to O3a5. In transferring my data into your project I "became" O3. Will this loss of results be corrected?

Answer: At the present time stress is put on the basic haplogroup, and branches of some of them (O3, J2, and some others) are overlooked. This situation will be fixed to the degree we are able, tentatively by the end of the year.
    Thank your for the translation. This is good information to know. You seem to have many talents.

Comment

lgmayka:

were all these questions asked by our own Grigoriev? Number 4 at least could have only been him!

When Wells made a presentation here in DC, it sounded like two papers were ready, one about Chad and one about some Philipino negritos (Y-hap Ksomething). We'll see which of the two comes out first (if it is one of them). There was footage from the upcoming documentary (from Chad and Tajikistan). I'm curious about the Tajikistan sample, for my own haplogroup, though it seemed something more in the distant future.

cacio

Comment

Originally posted by cacio
        were all these questions asked by our own Grigoriev?
        Yes, but he asked the first question as a favor to me.

Comment

Hello!

Cacio, Yes it is.. These Q. were asked by me... And some dialog was with A.G.Moen after the lecture...

Remsy, D-r Spencer Wells and Grigoriev...
          Last edited by Grigoriev; 29 May 2007, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X