Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European tribe in pre-Columbian America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irubak
    replied
    Dear Cobramach and Igmayka,

Thanks a lot for your comments and links. I keep digging!

Leave a comment:

• lgmayka
    replied
    Originally posted by cobramach
    I do think it is entirely possible that Europeans may have made their way into the New World during the ice age and other pre-Columbian times; we just can't prove it yet.
    Take a look at YGHJ3 on Ysearch. His nearest neighbor at 67 markers is a genetic distance of 32 from him. His surname project's page makes clear that his Old World origin is actually unknown:

Maybe his patrilineal line is Native American, ultimately from central Asia (where R1a1 is indeed found) or even from Europe.

Leave a comment:

• cobramach
    replied
    I am always intrigued, yet skeptical of stories like this. So, I did some digging and found this article: http://anthro.colstate.edu/Church2006.pdf

Go to page seven, where there are comments indicating skeletal remains showing typically native American features. Genetic testing demonstrates relationship to people currently living in the area.

The article also says the European connection has been sensationalized and overstated. I do think it is entirely possible that Europeans may have made their way into the New World during the ice age and other pre-Columbian times; we just can't prove it yet.

Leave a comment:

• Irubak
    started a topic European tribe in pre-Columbian America?

European tribe in pre-Columbian America?

I've just read an article about finding mummies which belong to "Chachapoyas", a tall, fair-haired, light-skinned race. They commanded a large kingdom from the year 800 to 1500 that stretched across the Andes. Some researchers believe that they might originate from Europe. These mummies would be great opportunity to find out their haplogroups. Unfortunately, the article just mentions that the mummies are going to be on show in a museum in Lima, but nothing about if any genetic research is planned. Does anubody know more about it?

Here is the link to the article:

Hands over her eyes and her face gripped with terror, the woman's fear of death is all too obvious. The remarkable mummy was found in a hidden burial vault in the Amazon. It is at least 600 years old and has survived thanks to the embalming skills of her tribe, the Chachapoyas or cloud warriors
Working...
X