X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Man
    replied
    Originally posted by PDHOTLEN
    My paternal ancestry is Norwegian. Since R1a1 is regarded as little more than a prehistoric incursion, I keep an eye on origin theories pertaining to my haplogroup.

That said, I don't really attempt to unearth deep scientific papers, since I don't have direct access to them.

I remember reading, a long time ago, that Sweden had an invasion of dark-haired horsemen. If that's the case, and they were these R1a's, then they probably came in from around the top of the Gulf of Bothnia. I assume they had advanced intelliigence of what was on the Scandinavian peninsula before they invaded. I suspect metal ore-rich terraine might have been a factor. On the other hand, maybe those good--looking blond Scandie girls attracted them.

Those good looking blonde Scandie girl sure attract me!

Leave a comment:

• PDHOTLEN
    replied
    I'm R1a1 too

My paternal ancestry is Norwegian. Since R1a1 is regarded as little more than a prehistoric incursion, I keep an eye on origin theories pertaining to my haplogroup.

That said, I don't really attempt to unearth deep scientific papers, since I don't have direct access to them.

I remember reading, a long time ago, that Sweden had an invasion of dark-haired horsemen. If that's the case, and they were these R1a's, then they probably came in from around the top of the Gulf of Bothnia. I assume they had advanced intelliigence of what was on the Scandinavian peninsula before they invaded. I suspect metal ore-rich terraine might have been a factor. On the other hand, maybe those good--looking blond Scandie girls attracted them.

Leave a comment:

• Kaiser
    replied
    Originally posted by Eki
    I then noticed the Khazar empire had towns called Samiran, Samandar and Sambalut:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazar#Khazar_towns
    These Khazar towns names clearly have Persian roots (eg, samandar = sea); Khazar origins around the Caspian seaboard is a distinct probability. A small portion of Khazar Jews who have migrated to Europe and merged amongst the Ashkenazim belong to the Y-Chromosome Haplogroup R2, while others belong to R1a.

Leave a comment:

• Eki
    replied
    Originally posted by Noaide
    Sami in Sweden and on the Kola penninsula have around 20% R1a while its less than 5% among the Sami in northern Lappland, Finland (Anara, Skolt).

If Khazars spread as horseriders into Sami territory I think the dense taiga alone in Finland and the difficult terrain and climate further north would make any rapid expansion into these areas extremly difficult on a horseback.

Noaide
    I think they more likely used waterways and boats, just like the Rus or Varangian traders.

Leave a comment:

• Noaide
    replied
    Sami in Sweden and on the Kola penninsula have around 20% R1a while its less than 5% among the Sami in northern Lappland, Finland (Anara, Skolt).

If Khazars spread as horseriders into Sami territory I think the dense taiga alone in Finland and the difficult terrain and climate further north would make any rapid expansion into these areas extremly difficult on a horseback.

Noaide

Leave a comment:

• Eki
    started a topic How much R1a do the Sami have?

How much R1a do the Sami have?

I speculated in the "R1a haplgroup" thread that the R1a in Scandinavia and Finland originates from the Khazars. I then noticed the Khazar empire had towns called Samiran, Samandar and Sambalut:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazar#Khazar_towns

Maybe the name of Sami also came from the Khazars?
Working...
X