No announcement yet.

Blond hair, red beard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's keep the discussion on genetics and try to keep the images to a minimum and relevant to the subject.

-Darren Marin

Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      Let's keep the discussion on genetics and try to keep the images to a minimum and relevant to the subject.

-Darren Marin

Family Tree DNA

You better remove the two posts complete.
      Since the most important image is gone anyways.

And we already left "Blond, red beard" topic long ago.
      So lets go back to red beard, blond hair topic:

I used to have a red beard and blond hair, when I was young.
      The chin was copper like. That has changed.
      Last edited by Daniel72; 17 June 2009, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Just to add something to the thread. Haplogroups have absolutely nothing to do with phenotypes (or physical appearances/characteristics). Phenotypes are autosomal related and Haplogroups are unrelated to autosomal DNA. This is why Y-DNA or mtDNA cannot be used to tell what someone might look like.

-Darren Marin
        Family Tree DNA

Comment

Do the autosomal DNA tests offered by FTDNA tell you what your ethnic origin is? Are there any tests out there that can give you that information (i.e Eastern European, Irish, etc...)?

Comment

FTDNA and the National Geographic can tell where you came from in the world.

Comment

what type of test?

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS_A_CHGO View Post
                what type of test?
                Well, typically, its said, one most likely comes from the country where you have the most matches (not total but percentual).

thats how "iGENEA" (an European FTDNA reseller) does calculate the "country of Origin":

the country with the percentual highest number of 12/12 matches, is simply rated as "country of origin" in a distance of 40 Generations (1000 years)

Thats a little bit sketchy. But I dont think its that much more sketchy than calculation of MRCA is in general.

Comment

Interesting... would an autosomal test (i.e the ones offered by FTDNA) tell you anything about your ethnicity at all???

Comment

Originally posted by sturmgewehr View Post

R1 in Africa has European descendant????

does it mean that someone from Europe with R1 went to Africa and now they got it there??? or the R1 came from Africa to Europe?

Greetings
                    Hi,

I recently read somewhere that over 90% of the men in a single tribe in Cameroon are R1b. And R1b is found at lower percentages elsewhere in Africa.
                    I tried to find that page again, but only found this wikipedia article that only says "very high freqency".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1b_(Y-DNA)

Originally posted by wikipedia article
                    R1b1
                    R1b1 is defined by the presence of SNP marker P25.

R1b1* is found in Northern Cameroon in west central Africa at a very high frequency, where it is considered to represent an early back-migration from Asia.[11] R1* (which seems likely also to be R1b1, though not tested for M343 and P25) was also reported in the Bantu of southern Cameroon, and in Oman, Egypt, and the Hutu of Rwanda. Again the authors of the study felt that their data suggested an ancient back migration from Asia to Africa.[12] Another example of R1b1* was discovered in Guinea-Bissau.[13] Further examples have been found among speakers of a variety of different languages in Sudan.
                    But since this thread is about blond hair and red beards, I'll say that I don't know if any of the R1b men in Africa are blond. I doubt it. Autosomally they would be mostly African, I think.

About red hair....my mom says she was born with red hair....and that a month later it all fell out and grew back in as black hair (or black/dark brown). My mothers father was a redhead (his parents had dark hair), my mothers mother had dark hair.

Comment

Originally posted by CHRIS_A_CHGO View Post
                      Interesting... would an autosomal test (i.e the ones offered by FTDNA) tell you anything about your ethnicity at all???

I think the autosomal test by DNATribes tells your deep ancestry.

I tested for one specific marker at FTDNA, the one that about 33% of Native Americans get a 9 for, to see if I had it too, but I don't. My chance of having the 9 was about 5%, I think.
                      Last edited by rainbow; 24 June 2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X