Blond hair, red beard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blond hair, red beard.

Okay, a strange question. My dad always said his blond hair and red beard were the true signs of a viking. How true is this?

There's a thread about red hair on another forum. I haven't read it.

http://forum.skadi.net/genetics_red_hair-t12121.html

Jim

Comment

When I was in elementary school (early 70's) that is what I was taught. I had a teacher who had an obscession with Iceland and the Vikings. She said that anyone who was blond descended from the Scandinavians.

I have straight blond hair on my head, a curly, flaming red beard (although I keep it in a tightly controlled goatee) and dark chest hair. My RAO section indicates a more Mediterranian connection in my YDNA. YDNA is only one line of ancestry, though, so I could have tons of Viking ancestors pouring their he-man Erik and Lars genetic material into me without it showing up on the FTDNA test.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisB123
        Okay, a strange question. My dad always said his blond hair and red beard were the true signs of a viking. How true is this?

i am that but i aint no viking lol
        i also have black body hair
        sudanesse,chadite lol

Comment

[QUOTE=Andrew M]When I was in elementary school (early 70's) that is what I was taught. I had a teacher who had an obscession with Iceland and the Vikings. She said that anyone who was blond descended from the Scandinavians.
          QUOTE]

king david was read headed [ruddy]

Comment

Adam and Edom also mean ruddy, red, or from the red earth.

Nero and Augustus Cesar were also blond. A book on Roman times by Dr. Albert Bell Jr. mentions that Romans liked blondes so much that women often took hair from German slaves and weaved it into their own or sometimes even risked their lives (chemical damage) to lighten the colour their hair.

Comment

Ive seen many Australian Aborigines with blond hair, while they are young, and Papuans with red hair.

Comment

Dang! Those Vikings really got around.

Comment

Quite a few sports teams carry their ubiquitous moniker.

Scandinavian Pride organizations encourage use of the word "Norman" or "Norsemen" instead of the prejorative "Viking" and they would also have you know that their helmets never had horns or feathers on them. Otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance against the Raiders or the Rams.

Comment

What about hair that is blonde during childhood and darkens during adolescence to a reddish brown? Would that count as Viking?

Comment

Originally posted by haplogroupc
                      What about hair that is blonde during childhood and darkens during adolescence to a reddish brown? Would that count as Viking?
                      No, I see that phenomenon here in British families, and obviously few of them are of Scandinavian descent. It probably has more to do with latitude and pigmentation than descent.

Jim

Comment

Dr. Solar Wolff addresses this issue in one of the posts linked to the "Germanic" forum:

My observation is that there are actually two types of blond hair. One is the case of depigmentation. The other is the case of the dominant or partially dominant blondism as seen in "infantile blondism" which is common in Anglo-Saxons. In this latter case, the hair is blond as a child and then becomes darker at about 18 years. It is as if during childhood blondism was dominant but yielded to the true natural color in adult life. Again, my observation is that the depigmentated blondism is less bright or platinium-color. The platinum blondism seems to me to be assoicated with the infantile blondism or Nordic blondism of the Hallstatts. The depigmented blondism seems to me more a UP blondism. UP tend to have shades of red in their hair or golden blondism which I think is an incomplete blond dominant (like infantile blondism). So, I think blondism is dominant over red hair where the Nordic blondism is present.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M
                          Dr. Solar Wolff addresses this issue in one of the posts linked to the "Germanic" forum:

My son and I both changed from blonde to brown.
                          Do you have a link to this "Germanic" forum?

Scot

Comment

The second post on this thread contains the link. The discussion goes from red hair to blond. Here's the link again: http://forum.skadi.net/genetics_red_...2121.html?amp;

Comment

My hair changed from being very blond when I was a little guy to what it is now. Now it is very dark brown, sometimes it even can look black. I was blond until I was about 4 or 5 then it changed to a golden brown throughout the rest of elementary school. When I reached high school it really darkened. Now I am 20 and it is dark brown. Interesting how it can change so much.

My facial hair is mostly dark but I do have quite a few red and blond hairs scattered throughout. My eye colour is hazel (green on the outside with brown around the pupil).

Y-DNA: J2a*

Comment

Working...
                              X