cousins/brothers from Y12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cousins/brothers from Y12

If I order a Y 12 marker DNA test through the genographic project can this tell me if my relatives are related through great grandparents or great great grandparents? Or do you need more markers for this.

Since I want this type of info (as well as being part of the genographic project) would it be better to order the test through FTDNA of National Geographic?

Thanks

Originally posted by Cats
    If I order a Y 12 marker DNA test through the genographic project can this tell me if my relatives are related through great grandparents or great great grandparents? Or do you need more markers for this.

Since I want this type of info (as well as being part of the genographic project) would it be better to order the test through FTDNA of National Geographic?

Thanks

if i test that tell me who i am
    if i test a cousin who might be a decendent from my ggrand dads second wife
    if we match all the paper work to that ggrand dad is proven

every cousin who test and goes back past the original ggrand dad . that proves the paperwork another step ect ect

thats why we do surname groups hopefully cousins will test and other people will test into your cousins

Comment

Originally posted by Cats
      A 12 marker test might tell you if two men are closely related, but not specifically whether the common ancestor is the great grandfather or the great great grandfather.

No test can make that distinction for certain, and only the most expensive tests have the potential for it.

The only potential difference is the cost (ordering through National Geographic is $99, and you can only get that price directly from FTDNA if you order through a project). The tests are identical, and you can transfer your results between the Genographic Project and FTDNA regardless of how you start.

Comment

Working...
      X