mtDNA access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mtDNA access

I recently transferred my Geno 2.0 results which included mtDNA to FTDNA. My Dashboard shows a Mitochondrial section, but it appears to be inactive (no mtDNA on MyDNA drop down menu and not accessible in Project Management). I found in a FAQ section regarding Geno to FTDNA transfers: "Note: You will only receive Y-DNA and mtDNA matches if you order FamilyTreeDNA testing as the Geno 2.0 data is not compatible with the FamilyTreeDNA matching databases." What kind of FTDNA testing does this refer to? Does it really mean that I have to pay over $100 to test my mtDNA again?!

In the meantime, I'm able to search for my haplogroup matches without FTDNA generating them, so is there a need to buy another test?

Thanks!

According to this page in the FTDNA Learning Center, "After testing with the National Geographic Genographic Project, what will I receive when I transfer my results to FamilyTreeDNA?" (I've highlighted what you actually get for mtDNA and Y-DNA in red):
    If you transfer your Geno 2.0 Next Generation results, you will get:
    • Access to the myFamilyTree feature.
    • Your positive Y-DNA SNPs (if you are male) on the most up-to-date Ytree.
    • Your mtDNA haplogroup (if you have not previously tested mtDNA with FamilyTreeDNA).
    • Y-DNA and mtDNA data can be accessed with the free transfer.
    • If you would like to upgrade to a FamilyTreeDNA Family Finder test for $39, you will receive myOrigins results and matches.
    • Autosomal raw data can only be accessed after upgrading to the Family Finder test.

Note: You will only receive Y-DNA and mtDNA matches if you order FamilyTreeDNA testing as the Geno 2.0 Next Generation data is not compatible with the FamilyTreeDNA matching databases.

If you transfer your Geno 2.0 results, you will get:
    • Access to the myFamilyTree feature.
    • Your positive Y-DNA SNPs (if you are male) on the most up-to-date Ytree.
    • Your mtDNA haplogroup (if you have not previously tested mtDNA with FamilyTreeDNA).

Note: You will only receive Y-DNA and mtDNA matches if you order FamilyTreeDNA testing as the Geno 2.0 data is not compatible with the FamilyTreeDNA matching databases.
    What the "Note:" section refers to is the ability to see matches; since Geno 2.0 (any variety) is not compatible, you would have to order mtDNA and/or Y-DNA tests in order to see matches. FTDNA would then use your remaining DNA sample to do any of those tests, and then you would see match lists and whatever other information is provided. The Geno 2.0 tests use a chip with a limited selection of markers for both mtDNA and Y-DNA, which are chosen to give you a good idea of your haplogroups, but are not the same as what you get with the chips at FTDNA, thus are incompatible for matching.

With your transfer, you should be able to at least see your mtDNA haplogroup, and (if you are male) your Y-DNA SNPs information, regardless of which of those two types of Geno 2.0 test you transferred. If Geno 2.0 Next Gen., you should be able to see the data and access (download) the data files. Has it been more than a week since you transferred? You may want to contact Customer Support using the link at the top right of this page.

I am glad to see that you were at least able to transfer your Geno 2.0 kit to FTDNA, as I had heard that not all transfers were working, and the IT department was working to fix that.

Comment

thanks so much for replying with a further explanation. I can't afford the FTDNA mt test, so I guess I'll just rely on the Haplogroup and do 'backdoor' searching for matches, which already resulted in 5 very likely direct female cousin relationships. Yes, I too am pleased that the Geno 2.0 transfer finally went through on March 3.

thought: my 2 brothers had their yDNA tested (111) with FTDNA. Since their mt will be the same as mine, can I transfer the results to their profiles and if so would that allow the full results to be shown?
      Cheers!

Comment

If you mean that you want to transfer your actual results to your brothers' accounts, I know of no way to do that, and you would not want to do it anyway. If that choice was available, it could lead to a lot of mistaken transfers, and while you in your own case may know that your two brothers have the same mother as you do, others might not be aware of things like adoptions, etc. So there are possible situations where siblings may have different haplogroups. You also may have mutations that your brothers do not. Additionally, Geno 2.0 did not provide you with full results, as they did not test your full mitochondria. The Geno 2.0 test only tested a particular selection of mtDNA locations, in order to be able to predict an mtDNA haplogroup for most people. It is not always able to predict the many many branches within a given haplogroup. Because it only tests a limited amount of locations, it is incompatible for matching at FTDNA. Even if you could transfer your results to your brothers, it would not result in full results showing in their accounts, just as it does not in your account.

What you can do, if you are sure your brothers and you have the same mother, is to edit their profile information and write something like, "[brother's name]'s mtDNA haplogroup is X, determined from his sister's results from Geno 2.0 testing." You can do this by going to your Account Settings, and under Account Information scroll down to "My Personal Story," at the bottom. If you are managing their kits, and they aren't interested in their kits or do not want to be bothered, you can add a statement with your name and saying you manage the kit.

FTDNA usually has a sale for Mother's Day, featuring a discount on mtDNA testing. Also, there may be other deals for Black Friday, and right after that for FTDNA's Holiday Sale until the end of the year. If you can save $1 a day, you might be able to afford it by then. The FTDNA mtDNA FullSequence test does literally test your full mitochondrial sequence, and is the last test you would ever do for mtDNA.The mtDNA FullSequence test will also show any mutations you may have.

I'm not sure what you mean by "backdoor" searching for matches, but I leave you to it.

Comment

Thanks so very much! I now have an even better understanding of all of this. I had already noted my 2 brothers' profiles, which I manage, with the mt Haplogroup information. Also posted in various groups. Thankful for the upcoming sales with which I might be able to afford the test.

As for 'backdoor', I did an advanced search for FF and X and then sorted by mt Haplogroups to find them, then did a basic check with the profile information for each. Still need to contact them to verify completely or nearly so.

Thanks again - I really appreciate your assistance and wish you the best!

Comment

Working...
          X