American Indian admixture in White Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rainbow
    Oh, the three Wax men. I just googled them again and they were a Cherokee delegation that traveled to London and met King George III of England in 1762.

Here is a link talking about it, without the wax photo.
    It says 'Chief Ostenaco' and two other men named Cunneshote and Woyi.

http://209.85.215.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=9&gl=us
    I think that was his second trip to england ... on the 1832 trip, Ostenaco is probably the one young man on the far right side .
    Woyi is also known as pouting pidgeon.
    Last edited by purple flowers; 19 July 2008, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by purple flowers
      I think that was his second trip to england ... on the 1832 trip, Ostenaco is probably the one young man on the far right side .
      Woyi is also known as pouting pidgeon.
      Did you mean 1732?

Woyi means pouting pigeon? lol
      And I had that weird dream that ended with a pigeon looking at me.
      The 'hairy' pigeon/dove had a patch of long fur that blew in the breeze/wind. that was how I noticed it was hair/fur and not feathers. lol

Comment

Did you mean 1732?

Woyi means pouting pigeon? lol
        And I had that weird dream that ended with a pigeon looking at me.
        The 'hairy' pigeon/dove had a patch of long fur that blew in the breeze/wind. that was how I noticed it was hair/fur and not feathers. lol
        yes I saw that after my time was up for fixing it ..
        I had also noticed that cunna shote was also Occonostota / standing turkey. I knew he went to england but I never could figure out when. I have never seen that picture I can't tell who is whom.. they are all brothers or cousins, but very close related. is there a site which tells which one is supposed to be Oconostota ?
        maybe that is your new name... "not feathers" or "hairy dove".. "windy tuft " <LOL> just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rotf!
        Last edited by purple flowers; 20 July 2008, 05:58 PM.

Comment

• http://www.aaanativearts.com/cherokee/Oconostota.htm
          I think I just figured this out..

I am from two of his daughters, and one I believe, the one who married Old Bark/ anyone know the name Barker as in the cherokee Bob Barker ?
          .. I think she is my direct line . a creek woman named aniwaya( seems to be an adopted wolf maybe / but may not be the cherokee Paint clan, or the paint clan was adopted creek, I do not understand this part. how paint and wolf get confused all of the time.. .. because maybe this is why my grandma family was down with the choctaws, I have figured because of some surnames/ concerning treaty party .. thus it was for political reasons... maybe it was political and maybe they were never cherokee or adopted cherokee and so the cherokee forced them out completely . my grandma's just married a few cherokee's but even before that they may have been something different. why is the question I guess. paint clan seems to be important.
          I trace to aniwaya through Nionee Ollie also , not direct . and most of her family were forced out also it sure looks like to me. denied on the rolls , many of her grandkids were denied citizenship because they were treaty party or moved to Ohio and KY . some kind of politics were definately going on .
          this says Oconostota goes to england twice I know of only once for sure. I wish I could tell which of the brother/cousins is him in the 1762 pianting . none of them look like that picture to me.he looks like my nephew in that painting , which that isn't really that possible I don't think. unless the wolf clan and the what appears might be a adopted paint clan from another tribe might be the same line and why they are always confused about who is paint or wolf. because paints and wolfs do get mixed up all of the time.
          anyway in the 1732 painting

"The one Indian woman in the picture, also in English dress, represents Tomochichi
          Last edited by purple flowers; 21 July 2008, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• the rest of the story that was cut off.

"The one Indian woman in the picture, also in English dress, represents Tomochichi

Comment

• it is cutting up my posts

wife....Senawchi. The other Indians are usually identified simply as "Indians," though sometimes they are called Creek or "Yamacraw."

I always thought my sister and mom looked like her, now lots more now, more as she get older.....but close enough!
              Senawchi is freinds with nancy and they must have somekind of connection..now I think it makes some sense. cool way too cool.
              this is too cool.

now there is still a thin chance I come from Oconstota's white wife who he met on his trip to england. but I do not think he is in this group unless he is the tall one in the back. many people say he di not go the first time. ... but that can still be his brother or uncle standing turkey who married the english woman who died in childbirth.....
              so then why does my sister and my mom look like the old creek woman who was freinds of the same family unit we came from. anyd my family sems to be a bit confused as to wether they were cherokee or muscogee of somekind...
              so I think we were here already, no matter what they think the dna says. either way I do not think we were orginally cherokee. it just seems like paint clan and creek and Yamacraw and yuchi is something I need to learn more about.

"However, we must be sure what Indian tribal cultures are represented. I will argue we are looking not just at Yamacraw or Creek Indians but at Upper and Lower Cherokee as well as Algonquian and suggest that the "Yamacraws" were actually Yuchi. In fact, it is doubtful that any of the portraits are of Creek (Muskogee) Indians, the supposed subjects."

http://www.pantherslodge.com/indians.html
              the cicles are getting smaller, I think I am sneaking up on it..

Comment

• I never heard of a Paint clan before. Do only Cherokees have that?
                Until I read up on the Lenape, I didn't know there was such a thing as a Turkey Clan and Turtle Clan. I knew America is called Turtle Island, but I didn't know there was a turtle clan until reading about the Lenape. I've seen eagles and wolves and horses depicted in modern artwork, so I wasn't surprised that there was/is a Wolf clan.

About Cherokee pouting pigeon...maybe he was from the wolf clan, since the dove/pigeon in my dream had fur/fair.

I clicked on the link you posted, and I'll read it now. So far I took a quick look to see how long the page is and to see the photos.

edit: Cherokee Bob Barker? Do you mean the former tv show host for The Price Is Right? I didn't know he was Cherokee.
                Last edited by rainbow; 21 July 2008, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• well woyi dad is probably moytoy II known also as moytoy pigeon. moytoy II should be wolf. I think!

Comment

I never heard of a Paint clan before. Do only Cherokees have that?
                    Until I read up on the Lenape, I didn't know there was such a thing as a Turkey Clan and Turtle Clan. I knew America is called Turtle Island, but I didn't know there was a turtle clan until reading about the Lenape. I've seen eagles and wolves and horses depicted in modern artwork, so I wasn't surprised that there was/is a Wolf clan.

About Cherokee pouting pigeon...maybe he was from the wolf clan, since the dove/pigeon in my dream had fur/fair.

I clicked on the link you posted, and I'll read it now. So far I took a quick look to see how long the page is and to see the photos.

edit: Cherokee Bob Barker? Do you mean the former tv show host for The Price Is Right? I didn't know he was Cherokee.
                    well Paint clan was "the Herb" or medicine clan and they used red paint too.. that is all I know for sure.. creeks used yuchi as slaves . some of this makes tons of sense why my grandma always shrugged her shoulders ( she couldn't talk from strokes from diabetes ) shrugged her shoulders like "kind of " when we asked her if she was Choctaw or Cherokee.. we always got a " kind of " shrug .. or maybe " a little bit of that " shrug Or maybe a " close enough ".
                    other than that it looks like it sure could be either Yacamaw or yuchi . but Yuchi is looking better.. it also has a slight siouan connection and when you look up at wikipedia "Saponi" that lady is probably my group too she looks very much like my great grandma. so maybe some siouan got into the yuchi or visa versa.
                    Last edited by purple flowers; 21 July 2008, 02:34 AM.

Comment

• I finished reading that link. A lot of stuff. I never heard of Yuchi before.
                      One of the 3 reasons there was a 'chilly reception' could have been because there was a female there.

Comment

• Originally posted by purple flowers
                        well Paint clan was "the Herb" or medicine clan and they used red paint too.. that is all I know for sure.. creeks used yuchi as slaves . some of this makes tons of sense why my grandma always shrugged her shoulders ( she couldn't talk from strokes from diabetes ) shrugged her shoulders like "kind of " when we asked her if she was Choctaw or Cherokee.. we always got a " kind of " shrug .. or maybe " a little bit of that " shrug Or maybe a " close enough ".
                        other than that it looks like it sure could be either Yacamaw or yuchi . but Yuchi is looking better.. it also has a slight siouan connection and when you look up at wikipedia "Saponi" that lady is probably my group too she looks very much like my great grandma. so maybe some siouan got into the yuchi or visa versa.
                        She couldn't talk at all? That's awful.
                        Maybe the shrug was an annoyed/upset shrug. When something is said to me that annoys me I'll make a quick shrug while I inhale/exhale strongly. Maybe it means she doesn't like being called a Cherokee or Choctaw?

But if you can read her shrugs and it means 'maybe', then I guess that is what it must be.

And from stuff I've read, there was a lot of intermarriage between various tribes, so maybe she was some of both?
                        I know of a Lenape that doesn't like Cherokee.
                        Last edited by rainbow; 21 July 2008, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• D9s...

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=7403

There is a thread about 6 new str markers. One of them, D9S....., is said to be good in detecting Native American Indian ancestry. It is a 31% chance, and best for recent admixture, and is most common in the Surui of western Brazil, but is 'ubiquitous (shows up everywhere)' throughout the Americas, at a lower rate.

Comment

• On my current DNA Tribes Native American panel, of the 40 categories, I have 0.00 with 36 of them, and at the very bottom of the list, the last of the 0.00, is Surui.

Comment

On my current DNA Tribes Native American panel, of the 40 categories, I have 0.00 with 36 of them, and at the very bottom of the list, the last of the 0.00, is Surui.
                              so maybe you need to ask them if the 0.00
                              's are in any kind of order like
                              alphabetical , ascending, descending, or any kind of order.

Comment

She couldn't talk at all? That's awful.
                                Maybe the shrug was an annoyed/upset shrug. When something is said to me that annoys me I'll make a quick shrug while I inhale/exhale strongly. Maybe it means she doesn't like being called a Cherokee or Choctaw?

But if you can read her shrugs and it means 'maybe', then I guess that is what it must be.

And from stuff I've read, there was a lot of intermarriage between various tribes, so maybe she was some of both?
                                I know of a Lenape that doesn't like Cherokee.
                                years before her and her sister had said that they were all once cherokee. but that they were now more or less " chickshaw"with a little cherokee"/ and the choctaw was closest to that .. so none of us can figure out just what a chickshaw was or came from..
                                now I know boat loads of those who are known as cherokee with lots of chickasaw and shawnee blood .. this is where I landed with her surnames. that must be the answer. it is the only thing that makes sense now. is that most of them never really were very much cherokee.
                                these groups of people were and married the ruling classes of each tribe for many years.... then I don't think they knew who they were when the dust settled. most didn't sign up as anything, well maybe no one wanted their mixed up selfs. that makes lots of sense actually. while they were uniteing the tribes and going from tribe to tribe with conections in all tribes . maybe none of them fit into any of the tribes later when the dust settled.

Comment

Working...
                                X