Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Indian admixture in White Americans

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • American Indian admixture in White Americans

    Hi,

    I am looking for studies, statistics, census, historical cites, and particularly genetic studies about the degree of American Indian admixture in white americans. I am interested in white American-Native admixture only, because that was the dominant group that colonized the country, and I would like to find out how many natives managed to insert into that society sucessfully.

    I am trying to figure it out how many Natives escaped genocide or expulsion to the west by assimilating and mixing with the pioneer population of the ealy colonies of the United States.

    Why? Because I am trying to find out if there was mass admixture in the British colonies like it happened anywhere else in the Americas, Canada included. And that is needed to clarify if there was an actual genocide in East North America or there was something else going on there.

    I have seen certain studies that declare that 6% of the White American population do have Native Ancestry, and I believe the actually figure somewhere between 6 and 15% of the genetical makeup, but I need more solid studies. But I am certain that Pocahontas children were not the only ones that assimilated to the white settler society at all.

    Any help, will be appreciated. Historical and genetical refferences are welcomed, and personal experiences, particularly from the East coast, are welcome too.

    Thanks,

    Omar Vega,
    Chilean

  • #2
    I can tell you both the Acadia(area now called Nova Scotia) French (mom's side of the family) and many Appalachian mountain people(dad's side) are a mix of White/Euro and Native American and have been since the Euro side started coming in, between 1599 and 1640's. There are a lot of us out there.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Shari
      I can tell you both the Acadia(area now called Nova Scotia) French (mom's side of the family) and many Appalachian mountain people(dad's side) are a mix of White/Euro and Native American and have been since the Euro side started coming in, between 1599 and 1640's. There are a lot of us out there.
      Hi,

      That's very interesting to me. Do you have more data and refferences?

      Regards,

      Omar Vega

      Comment


      • #4
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Acadians

        This will start your research with the acadians. I am related to 95% of them.
        &
        During the early years, the French brought relatively few of their women to North America, so intermarriage between French and Micmac became very common. These two factors bound the Micmac so closely to the French, that they found it very difficult to accept British rule after France cession of the Maritimes to Great Britain in 1713. Currently, most Micmac have French surnames, and they have remained among the most firmly converted of all Native American groups. At the same time, they have also retained much of their language and culture, and their practice of the Catholic religion has incorporated many of their traditional native beliefs.
        http://www.dickshovel.com/mic.html

        For the mountain people,, it will be a little harder to get the info. But it is out there.
        Last edited by Shari; 29 August 2006, 07:36 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          This will start your research with the acadians. I am related to 95% of them.
          &
          During the early years, the French brought relatively few of their women to North America, so intermarriage between French and Micmac became very common.
          Great country, Canada! I miss it very much, indeed.

          Yes, I knew about French-Native intermarriage and also it sounds me the name "acadian", because a classic car comming from Canada. I recall the Micmacs as well, particularly for the dissaster of a ship that exploted during the second world war and that affected them.

          Well, I lived in Canada for five years as an immigrant, in Saskatchewan, actually, so I know Canada is a lot more tolerant with Natives that the U.S.
          Also, I had the honor to visit the Lou Riel town in Saskatchewan when I lived there.

          That's why I wonder if those intermarriages did not happened with the Brits in colonial times as well. I suspect they did happened but, somehow, knowing the racist attitudes they have always had, people forgot their heritages in there. It is amazing that so few has been writen about the topic in the U.S.

          By the way, Chile, my country, is by definition a "meti" country as well, and we do keep ancient native customs in fusion with the Spanish ones. Besides, we have ethnic tribes that still speak their ancient languages and practise theirs religions. In fact, South America is as rich in Native heritage like Mexico, only that we love "our" native traditions better than the aztecs

          Omar Vega

          Comment


          • #6
            Native and British marriages did happen all of the time. Sir William Johnson who was Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Northern Colonies of British America, encouraged these unions and took an Native wife himself. The Loyalists, (Canadians), who fought the Rebels during the American Revolution fought along side of the Native people and forged intense bonds that included marriages.

            As the 1800's progressed and the European population increased in America so did some very rigid racist views, and you are right that it led to a lot of people losing their family history and heritage.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pleroma
              Native and British marriages did happen all of the time. Sir William Johnson who was Superintendent of Indian Affairs for the Northern Colonies of British America, encouraged these unions and took an Native wife himself. The Loyalists, (Canadians), who fought the Rebels during the American Revolution fought along side of the Native people and forged intense bonds that included marriages.

              As the 1800's progressed and the European population increased in America so did some very rigid racist views, and you are right that it led to a lot of people losing their family history and heritage.
              Now I got really interested. Do you got more info, web links, books, refferences, e-mails of people, etc?
              I know that in my own country -Chile- intermarriage with Natives was very common and people recognize it as well. I also know that it happened in all the Americas, including Brazil and the Caribean. So I have always wonder what happened with the native-european mixed people of the early British colonies of the North East North America, that, certainly, did existed.

              I am sure that when the 18th century's racism arrived, some of them went back to their tribes BUT OTHERS DON'T. Perhaps most of them considered themselves "white" already and they forgot about the past (in coloquial speech: hidding the "Indian in the closet")

              I wish history makes this point clear, because is an history as important and very similar to the situation of the 15th century's Jews of Spain. Other people that was force to choose an identity or leave.

              Thanks for the info, and I insist Canada was and it is a great country.

              Omar Vega,
              Chilean - former immigrant in Canada

              Comment


              • #8
                There are references to the Euro and Native marriages and relationships scattered everywhere but here are some links that you may find interesting:

                Joseph Brant (Thayendanegea), Mohawk
                http://www.indigenouspeople.net/brant.htm

                AFRICANS AND INDIANS: ONLY IN AMERICA
                http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/blk-ind.html
                (This has more to do with the African/Native mix but has many interesting things.)

                Excerpts from "The History of Montgomery Classis, R. C. A., 1916", by W. N. P. Dailey
                http://www.fortklock.com/Bio.htm
                (This was written in 1916 by an American so it is written from a racist perspective and also an anti-Loyalist one, however there is some interesting information.)

                METIS CULTURE 1791-1792
                http://www.telusplanet.net/public/dgarneau/metis28.htm
                (here is a list of Metis marriages which, I think, is only a very small fraction of the reality.)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kawashkar
                  Hi,

                  I am looking for studies, statistics, census, historical cites, and particularly genetic studies about the degree of American Indian admixture in white americans. I am interested in white American-Native admixture only, because that was the dominant group that colonized the country, and I would like to find out how many natives managed to insert into that society sucessfully.

                  I am trying to figure it out how many Natives escaped genocide or expulsion to the west by assimilating and mixing with the pioneer population of the ealy colonies of the United States.

                  Why? Because I am trying to find out if there was mass admixture in the British colonies like it happened anywhere else in the Americas, Canada included. And that is needed to clarify if there was an actual genocide in East North America or there was something else going on there.

                  I have seen certain studies that declare that 6% of the White American population do have Native Ancestry, and I believe the actually figure somewhere between 6 and 15% of the genetical makeup, but I need more solid studies. But I am certain that Pocahontas children were not the only ones that assimilated to the white settler society at all.

                  Any help, will be appreciated. Historical and genetical refferences are welcomed, and personal experiences, particularly from the East coast, are welcome too.

                  Thanks,

                  Omar Vega,
                  Chilean
                  Hola Omar,
                  I personally am of mixed Cherokee Indian [Eastern] and Scottish descent on my maternal side. Every one of my grammas married a Scots trader. i would be happy to assist however I can. Please feel free to contact me directly at:
                  [email protected]

                  Bob

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bob Swinea
                    Hola Omar,
                    I personally am of mixed Cherokee Indian [Eastern] and Scottish descent on my maternal side. Every one of my grammas married a Scots trader. i would be happy to assist however I can. Please feel free to contact me directly at:
                    [email protected]

                    Bob
                    Thanks you very much, Bob.

                    I will contact you by e-mail shortly. I have so many things to ask I would like to order my mind a little bit before redacting the mail.

                    Regards,

                    Omar

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Were stil here!

                      I am mixed Virginia Algonquian(Potowomeck) and European. My native ancestors lived in what is now called Stafford and King George County, Virginia, in the Southeastern United States. We were one of the 32 tribes that was a part of the Powatan Confederacy. My 11th g.grandfather Japasaw, Weroance of Pasapatanzy, was a brother to Powatan(Wahunsenacawh), father to the famous Pocahontis (Matoake Amunute), who maried John Rolfe, My European 8th g.grandfather the infamous Rev. John Waugh (who almost caused a war between Maryland and Virginia. He was responsible for the policy of seperation of church and state becasue he was always interfering in politics even though he was a minister)married the grandaughter of Wahangonoche(son of above Japasaw, cousin to Pocahontis, nephew to Wahunsenacawh)last weroance of the Potowomeck. Intermarrying with the European insured the survival of the tribe. My own European and Native ancestors killed each other. Were still here! Maria

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        From both sides!

                        Forgot to add the my Potowomeck heritage comes from both sides of the family. Mother and father. Originally we were Pumunkey but Wahunsenacawah changed our tribal afilliation to Potowomeck(The Potomac river is named after our tribe)when he gave his brother and my 11th g.granfather, Japasaw power over the Potowomeck tribe. Tribal historian is Bill Deyo and his cousin is Cheif Robert Green He is head of the reorganized tribe. The movie The New World was about The Powatan Confedracy. Maria

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Maria - I'm fascinated that you've been able to find so much information on your Eastern Tribe family connections. You mentioned the tribal historian - has keeping a good history been a priority for the tribe? (I'm not going to be so lucky, no matter what - it seems my NA ancestry comes through an extramarital affair in the 1870s).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Maria_W
                            Forgot to add the my Potowomeck heritage comes from both sides of the family. Mother and father. Originally we were Pumunkey but Wahunsenacawah changed our tribal afilliation to Potowomeck(The Potomac river is named after our tribe)when he gave his brother and my 11th g.granfather, Japasaw power over the Potowomeck tribe. Tribal historian is Bill Deyo and his cousin is Cheif Robert Green He is head of the reorganized tribe. The movie The New World was about The Powatan Confedracy. Maria
                            Is the name Potowomeck related to the Three Fires Algonquin tribe of the Great Lakes - Pottowatomi?

                            Tom

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Not connected.

                              Tom.
                              I have never heard of them being connected to each other. Some people confuse them but totally different. There were about 32 tribes under Wahunsenacawh.. Our name can be spelled different ways. I perfer Potowomeck(e) , but I have seen Potomac, Potomack, Patamack, Patawomeck, Potomack, etc. Like my ancestors names were Japasaw a.k.a. Weroance of Passapatanzy, Iopassus, Jabasaw, Jabazeus. Wahangonoche was a.k.a. Weroance of Passapatanzy, Whipsewossan, Whiptewasin, Whipsawason, Wipsewassin, Weepsiwasson, ect. Whipsawason Point in in King George Cty, VA. Have a nice day. Maria

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X