Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplotype F , Marker M168 > M89

Received my Test Results

Ok, so I received my test results and wish to know where can I go from here ? Give me some ideas.

1. Form a Haplotype F club
    2. Evangelise FTDNA and Genepgraphic project in my ethnic group and locale to improve statisitcs.
    3. Do nothing

I have access to a full blown DNA lab and would like to take the results to the next level.

Any ideas appreciated.

Congratulations! You are indeed rare among those who have been commercially genetically tested (i.e., outside of research studies). Although F was defined as a haplogroup rather early, all of its constituents were turning out to be members of more specific haplogroups: G, H, I, J, and K. Indeed, some researchers were beginning to think that perhaps F was a phantom haplogroup, with no living human members, until an unimpeachable study in India found some. Even today, it is debatable as to whether any 'ordinary' Europeans are actually of haplogroup F. The Ysearch database has a few, but most seem bogus (i.e., due to mistakes or misinterpretation).

So you ask, What do you do now? I suppose it depends on your goals.

1) If you wish to assist the genetic research community in understanding your haplogroup, please upload your results into the Ysearch database. There should be a hyperlink to do this, perhaps on the Y-DNA Matches tab of your FTDNA page.

If you tested with the Genographic Project and do not yet have an FTDNA page, you can get one by going to your Genographic page and clicking on a hyperlink which might be labeled See More or something like that. You should eventually find a hyperlink for copying/transferring your DNA information to FTDNA, which creates an FTDNA account for you. Once you have that account, you can then semi-automatically upload your results to the Ysearch database.

When you create your Ysearch entry, be sure to mention your SNP results explicitly in the Comments section. Otherwise, many researchers may simply refuse to believe that you really are of haplogroup F!

2) Since researchers know so little about haplogroup F right now, they would be very appreciative if you would then order more markers from FTDNA. I presume right now you have only 12 markers? FTDNA offers upgrades to 25, 37, or 67. The more the better, from researchers' point of view.

Keep in mind that in the long run, the more that researchers know about your haplogroup, the better they will be able to reconstruct your region's population history.

3) You certainly could form an FTDNA Project for haplogroup F. Of course, you would initially be the only member, and would have to be its administrator. But if you have such a project, and especially if you are its administrator, you may be more successful in persuading other people to get tested. And you will have access to their test results even if they otherwise do not wish to make them public.

Needless to say, you will probably only find members of haplogroup F in India, and perhaps only in your own ancestral region.

4) If your goal is to create or expand a family tree of your relatives and ancestors, you will want to get as many different patrilineal lines tested as possible, preferably from among people of the same surname as yours (because they are more likely to be related to you). Thus, it is not necessary to test your own brother, father, father's brother, or father's father, because they have the same Y chromosome you do (unless biological paternity is in doubt somewhere!). But if someone in your ancestral village is not knowingly related to you but has the same surname, he is probably worth testing.

5) I'm not sure what you mean by 'access to a full-blown DNA lab'. Do you have access to a lab that can perform the same tests that FTDNA can? If so, you presumably can get these tests done more cheaply in your own lab than through FTDNA. But do keep in mind that FTDNA has a well-deserved reputation in the industry. A new startup, even with the same equipment, would have to build a similar reputation for integrity, dependability, etc. Nevertheless, a populous country like India might be a very ripe market for DNA ancestry/genealogy testing.

Comment

Please, Kumar, upload your results to Ysearch. Right now, the most credible, and perhaps the only genuine, haplogroup F in the database is Heida, KV3T9:

http://www.ysearch.org/search_view.asp?viewuid=KV3T9

Comment

By the way, Kumar, I hope you realize that although M89 is indeed the SNP for haplogroup F, we do not ordinarily refer to a person as F unless he tests negative for the subsidiary haplogroups marked by M201 (haplogroup G), M69 (haplogroup H), M170/M258/P19 (haplogroup I, the three SNPs are equivalent and only one need be tested), 12f2.1/M304 (haplogroup J, again the two SNPs are equivalent), and M9 (haplogroup K, which also has its own subsidiary haplogroups). If you got your results from FTDNA or Genographic, those tests were correctly performed; but if you are running tests in your own lab, you must take into account the known haplogroup tree:

http://isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_YDNATreeTrunk.html
        Last edited by lgmayka; 3 July 2006, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X