DNA Analysis & Quality Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Analysis & Quality Control

Does anyone who tested through GP remember if Quality Control was checked for any period of time before their results were posted?

I had my mtDNA tested through GP several months ago and I seem to recall that DNA Analysis had been checked for a while and then suddenly my results were available, without seeing Quality Control checked. But I don't remember for sure.

I have two Y-DNA tests which currently have DNA Analysis checked -- one as of last week and one as of this week. I could be wrong, but I believe the checkmarks on the GP page mean that particular step is complete. So if that's the case, then it means my tests have completed analysis and are in Quality Control as we speak. And I guess I wouldn't see QC checked since the results should be uploaded very soon after QC is complete.

Anyway, this is just a curiosity thing -- I'm anxiously, but patiently waiting for the results of these two tests One is my maternal grandfather, the other is my brother.

Elise

You know, I have not yet joined the Genographic Project.

I will probably do so soon just to get the inexpensive (for FTDNA customers) mtDNA test.

That way I can see if the family Native American legend is true, since the Native American was supposed to be my maternal great-grandmother.

Since my maternal grandmother had long, golden-blond hair and blue eyes, I suspect her mom was only partly Native American, if Native American at all.

We'll see.

Maybe.

Comment

Are males allowed to have their mtDNA tested in the Genographic project? I got the kits and they seemed to say Y for males, mtDNA for females.

Comment

For a male to get the mtDNA test they submit their sample and indicate that they are a female.

Comment

Originally posted by Marttinen
          Are males allowed to have their mtDNA tested in the Genographic project? I got the kits and they seemed to say Y for males, mtDNA for females.
          The answer is yes, but I'm not sure of the exact procedure. Men wanting to take the mtDNA test have check "female" I think. If they want to take both tests, they have to order two kits.

Bill Hurst

Comment

So there may be Andrea (my first name is Andrew) and Stephanie (Stevo)trying out for mtDNA. Sounds like a plot line for "Bosom Buddies." My wife and I did the tests just before Christmas. She got more exact matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
              You know, I have not yet joined the Genographic Project.
              I will probably do so soon just to get the inexpensive (for FTDNA customers) mtDNA test.
              It would actually be less expensive and more convenient for you to order your mtDNA through FTDNA since you've already tested with them. Costs only $89, no shipping charges and no additional swabbing.

If you order your mtDNA through GP (and I believe you can just by checking "maternal" on the card that you would return to GP), you'll get a new kit for $99 plus shipping and have to do the swabs again. I also don't think you would be able to add your mtDNA results to your existing account/kit# -- you would get a new kit #, starting with N, when you transferred your GP mtDNA results to FTDNA.

On the other hand, you can upload your FTDNA test results to GP by paying the $15 donation to the GP. I wonder if you can upload both Y-DNA and mtDNA or if they'll only take one or the other?

Comment

Cutting any steps where you have to wait is worth the money. While my wife and I ordered kits at the same time, office and mail mix-ups made mine come over a fortnight after hers. We mailed the swabs in at the same time.

It was hard looking at her kit, knowing that there's nothing I can do to speed up the process other than send e-mails.

Comment

Oops!

Originally posted by efriedman
                  It would actually be less expensive and more convenient for you to order your mtDNA through FTDNA since you've already tested with them. Costs only $89, no shipping charges and no additional swabbing.

If you order your mtDNA through GP (and I believe you can just by checking "maternal" on the card that you would return to GP), you'll get a new kit for $99 plus shipping and have to do the swabs again. I also don't think you would be able to add your mtDNA results to your existing account/kit# -- you would get a new kit #, starting with N, when you transferred your GP mtDNA results to FTDNA.

On the other hand, you can upload your FTDNA test results to GP by paying the $15 donation to the GP. I wonder if you can upload both Y-DNA and mtDNA or if they'll only take one or the other?
                  Uh-oh!

Sometimes I am dumber than dirt.

I was under the mistaken impression that if one was already an FTDNA customer, he just paid the $15 to join the GP and got whatever was lacking that was required: in my case, an mtDNA test.

Okay, yeah, I'm stupid. mtHEAD.

Boy, am I embarrassed.

Comment

.....On the other hand, you can upload your FTDNA test results to GP by paying the $15 donation to the GP. I wonder if you can upload both Y-DNA and mtDNA or if they'll only take one or the other?
                    Elise, you can certainly upload both - for $30. I did that. They are listed separately under Order Tests on your FTDNA personal page, as I remember.

Bill Hurst

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hurst
                      Elise, you can certainly upload both - for $30. I did that. They are listed separately under Order Tests on your FTDNA personal page, as I remember.
                      Bill Hurst
                      Good to know, thanks! I started through GP, plus I only have mtDNA results, so I didn't have a way to check this. Actually, some of my project members have tested both mtDNA and Y-DNA, so I guess I could have looked through their myFTDNA pages to find out!

Comment

About my QC question.....

By the way, does anyone know the answer to my original question that started this thread?

Comment

http://www.argusbio.com Hypervariable Region $25.00
                          Now that's just cheap.

Comment

Working...
                          X