Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Startling Proof that Neanderthals and Modern Humans Interbred!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T E Peterman
    replied
    Good point. There might be other undiscovered lines descended from R out there. Any statements like this all require the implicit "in light of the current knowledge base".

If there was a lot of R* out there, I would suspect that we would find other SNPs to define R3 or R4 (although I doubt they would be called that for long).

Sinilarly, if there was a lot of R1* out there, I would suspect that this would get divided into R1c*, R1d*, etc.

So far, though, modern descendants of these postulated haplogroups haven't been found. Yet, if you go to ISOGG & look at the number of SNPs that uniquely define P, R & R1, one sees a strong hint that many other branches once existed.

Timothy Peterman

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
    By the time humanity was coming out of the last Ice Age (12,000+ years ago), Mr. R____ probably had countless descendants scattered across Central Asia. Yet, only THREE of these descendants carried y-DNA that survives to this day: R2, R1a, R1b.

All other lines of patrilineal descent from Mr. R_____ went extinct.
    Do we really know enough at this juncture to be so certain that only R1a, R1b and R2 exist in the world? Is there no possibility of an R3 or R4 somewhere out there among the vast untested?

Leave a comment:

• T E Peterman
    replied
    One thing to remember is that NONE of the modern patrilines or matrilines are of Neanderthal origin. All go back to a source in East Africa.

Some might consider this a discrepancy, but it isn't. Most human patrilines & matrilines have been elimintaed by genetic drift. As an example, we can look at the human patrilineal group R. One man had the pertinent SNP mutations perhaps 25,000+ years ago. By the time humanity was coming out of the last Ice Age (12,000+ years ago), Mr. R____ probably had countless descendants scattered across Central Asia. Yet, only THREE of these descendants carried y-DNA that survives to this day: R2, R1a, R1b.

All other lines of patrilineal descent from Mr. R_____ went extinct.

If 99% of all patrilines have gone extinct, one shouldn't be too surprised to learn that the few patrilines that the earlier population had inherited from the Neanderthals were among the 99% that later vanished.

Autosomal DNA has a far greater chance of survival & this is no doubt where we find that 1% to 4% of Neanderthal DNA. It would be interesting for Family Tree DNA to develop a test in conjunction with Family Finder that would show which parts of the 22 autosomal chromosomes are Neanderthal.

Timothy Peterman

Leave a comment:

• gtc
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
    Humans have at least 1-4% Neanderthal DNA:
    4% explains my brother-in-law.

Leave a comment:

• Kaiser
    replied
    Breaking News - Neanderthals and Humans Bred

Neanderthals and Humans bred in Mid-East about 60,000 years ago. Humans have at least 1-4% Neanderthal DNA:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...bred-dna-gene/

Leave a comment:

• M.O'Connor
    replied
    Is there any fresh news on the Neander Paleo Europeans?

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by Maria_W
    How about the 1962, color, 90 minute, unrated movie Eegah! Here the scene:A teenage girl driving through the desert is confronted by a huge Neanderthal-like man and she returns to the city to share her story with her father, an explorer, and her boyfriend... When her father doesn't return from searching for the creature, the girl and her boyfriend head out to the desert to find him and the girl is taken hostage along with her father...Its up to the efforts of the boyfriend to rescue the father and daughter before the caveman can make her his mate...... It is so bad, its good!

But seriously, I think National Geographics has been running a program this week about the possibilty on intermating between the two..

Maria
    Sounds like a really fun old "B" science fiction movie, like the "Colossal Man".

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    Duh...

What am I saying, I watched the program the other night and it was very interesting, I think it was on National Georgraphic channel...

Maria

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    It almost happened....

How about the 1962, color, 90 minute, unrated movie Eegah! Here the scene:A teenage girl driving through the desert is confronted by a huge Neanderthal-like man and she returns to the city to share her story with her father, an explorer, and her boyfriend... When her father doesn't return from searching for the creature, the girl and her boyfriend head out to the desert to find him and the girl is taken hostage along with her father...Its up to the efforts of the boyfriend to rescue the father and daughter before the caveman can make her his mate...... It is so bad, its good!

But seriously, I think National Geographics has been running a program this week about the possibilty on intermating between the two..

Maria

Leave a comment:

• CWF
    replied
    Maybe I should get my great uncle's wife tested.

Leave a comment:

• rjhanson54
    replied
    Aug 2008 study: Neanderthals probably did NOT interbreed

See http://richarddawkins.net/articleCom...e,page1#227187
    and
    http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...anderthal.html

Leave a comment:

• Andrew M
    replied
    See http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1103083616.htm

Looks like there's a reason for my expensive kids' dental corrections.

Leave a comment:

• Jambalaia32
    replied
    Your Pappy

Reports say some men have Neaderthal DNA ,but no modern women have any-so maybe your daddy is a neanderthal.....?

Leave a comment:

• Stevo
    replied
    Originally posted by Maria_W
    My daugther and I love to watch those old movies like "The Neanderthall Man" "Cave Women In Bikinis" "I Married a Teenage Caveboy." I love the Geigo commercials with the cavemen.
    I like them, too.

I mentioned earlier on this thread that I went to high school with a Neanderthal teenager. He would be a middle aged Neanderthal by now.

I think he got an A+ in shop class for flint sharpening and for making the perfect spear thrower.

Leave a comment:

• Maria_W
    replied
    Neanderthalls!

Looks like it should be on the cover of The Sun or World Weekly News! Maria

Leave a comment:

Working...
X