European Y-Haplogroup Numbers ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.E.C.
    My idea is Italians have started to disregard their heritage with the baby-boom generation growing up in the 60's.
    Things got worse with time. Twentysomething people like me don't care at all and I wouldn't even try to talk about genetics with my friends.
    As I told you before their answer would sound like this: "my family is and have always been Italian and anyway I don't care..."

I consider myself lucky because when I was a little kid I have spent a lot of time with my grandfather, who trasmitted to me the genuine affection he had for this land.

I think Italian-Americans' love is magnified by time and distance, that's why they are so proud of their origins.
    I'm afraid on some occasions they idealize a country that doesn't exist.
    It is the case that the Italian churches are not very cooperative with genealogy researchers, whether this is the LDS seeking to film church records or individuals trying to find out about their ancestors in the town of birth. There are some churches that have allowed the LDS to film, but generally not. And I have heard time and again on the genealogy e-mail lists how Italian priests will just ignore written requests for information.

This seems to be the case also with the average Italian. Many times the reaction to hearing that some Italian-American is researching his ancestors from their town of 100 or more years is that it's another "crazy American." Or the other reaction is suspicion that they're looking to lay claim to property their ancestor left behind. That's funny considering probably the majority of Italian immigrants 100 years ago were poor peasants!

I guess I will find out personally how Italians react to Italian-Americans researching their ancestors. I sent out 62 letters to people who share any one of 6 surnames in my family tree. I tell them about my ancestor with their surname and include a short family tree that shows that line for my ancestors. I ask them to write back if they think we may be related. I sent these letters 2-3 weeks ago. I'll see what replies I get.

Mike

Comment

Good luck, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by EBurgess
        What is the Polish perspective on DNA testing? Have you seen much participation?
        I've found some interest, but only to the extent I'm willing to pay for it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by lgmayka
          I've found some interest, but only to the extent I'm willing to pay for it myself.
          I knew we were related, Igmayka!

You've been calling the same relatives I have!

Comment

Originally posted by EBurgess
            Actually my post was on a Rootsweb message board for that family name. So clearly not SPAM. I have in the past sent out unsollicited ground mail to people in England. This actually yielded my first lucky break.

Maybe people are more receptive to snail mail? It is more personal.
            Now there's some spammer saying he "offers the services on dispatch of messages on forums". Maybe we should let him do all our posting. Think how much time we'd save. Especially Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Eki
              Now there's some spammer saying he "offers the services on dispatch of messages on forums". Maybe we should let him do all our posting. Think how much time we'd save. Especially Stevo
              Posting messages I can handle.

Now if that spammer would just show up for work in my place . . .

Anyway, in a little under three weeks I will be out for the summer!

Yeah, baby!

Comment

nothing wrong with that Stevo..It's like you are getting out for the summer with good behavior.

I'm sure teaching is a real personal challenge to keep the interest of our students alive

Comment

Working...
                X