Help!!! Heplogroup W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!! Heplogroup W

Hi, I am totally new at all this. I am african american and trying to fill in some of the missing gaps of my lost ancestry. Now that I have the 1st DNA results...whats the next step logically....?? Thanks "Penny"

Originally posted by Penny
    Hi, I am totally new at all this. I am african american and trying to fill in some of the missing gaps of my lost ancestry. Now that I have the 1st DNA results...whats the next step logically....?? Thanks "Penny"
    Are you able to have your dad, your brother, or one of your dad's brothers tested for y-dna?

That would be helpful.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm new to this stuff myself.

Were you in Batch 147 by any chance?

Comment

Batch 147 ????

Thanks, Yes, I can have my paternal father tested. What is batch 147??? Please pardon my ignorance at all this... I have no immediate family and only met my father late in life so I really want to research this. I know that I have a great grandmother on my fathers side that was (Native American-Cherokee), and there is a lot of Irish (from slavery I presume). My results of the initial DNA are puzzling. I should probaly search my fathers surname Marable which was from a plantation owner.

Comment

Have you uploaded your results to MitoSearch, and looked for near-matches?

Keep in mind that the mtDNA test only looks at what you inherited from your mother's mother's mother's mother...

If you could convince your brother or father to submit a yDNA test, you could then get a higher-precision idea of the heritage from your father's father's father's father...

Comment

Thanks, Yes, I can have my paternal father tested. What is batch 147??? Please pardon my ignorance at all this... I have no immediate family and only met my father late in life so I really want to research this. I know that I have a great grandmother on my fathers side that was (Native American-Cherokee), and there is a lot of Irish (from slavery I presume). My results of the initial DNA are puzzling. I should probaly search my fathers surname Marable which was from a plantation owner.
          Batch 147 is the lab batch a bunch of us were in. Its results are just now coming in. It's not important, so don't worry about that.

As Igmayka and I suggested, you should have your dad (and brother, if you have one) y-dna tested, if you can. That way you can get the info on your male line.

MtDNA haplogroup W, as far as I can tell, is not an African haplogroup. It is found mainly in the Caucasus Mountains (between the Black and Caspian Seas - Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, etc.), the Middle East, and down into India. Looks like some of it extends up into Eastern and Central Europe, as well.

Here is a pretty nifty set of haplogroup maps that might be of help. The Y-DNA maps come first, so you have to scroll down to get to the mtDNA map near the back. The maps were put together by a Chemistry professor at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and come with a fairly extensive set of y and mtDNA bibliographies.

Welcome to the forum, and best of luck!
          Last edited by Stevo; 20 May 2006, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X