Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Y-DNA Haplogroup Confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    FTDNA is very good at accurate testing, but they do have problems with their haplotree. My understanding is that it's not uncommon for someone who's R1b and transfers their Geno 2.0 results into an FTDNA account to end up with the obviously wrong haplogroup of F-M89. I don't know what the discrepancy is between Geno 2.0's tree and that of FTDNA that causes this.

    Once you received your STR results, FTDNA was able to make a prediction of R-M269. Haplogroup predictions for those without SNP tests at FTDNA (yours are from Geno 2.0) are made based on ths STR results.

    Now, it seems that after further analysis of your Geno 2.0 SNP results (maybe in light of their prediction of R-M269), they've determined that your confirmed haplogroup is R-FGC11678. So, it must be that your Geno 2.0 results have you as FGC11678+.

    You've correctly noted in another thread that FGC11678 is a subclade of U106. More specifically, based on consulting the U106 Project tree, it's a subclade of Z156, a major branch of U106. Please join the R1b-U106 Project at https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/u106/about. We have over 800 Big Y results of project members (about 25% of the total membership) and use a comparison spreadsheet to continually find new subclades. We may be able to place you in a more downstream subclade - FGC11678 has two known subclades (FGC14326 and A5396) - which may not be tested by Geno 2.0.
    He is negative for U106 and therefore there is absolutely no reason for him to join the U106 project. P312 and DF27 are not tested by Geno 2.0 but CTS4528, L238, DF19, L21, U152, and U106 are tested by Geno 2.0. He stated the following in the initial post "I recently transferred my results from the National Geographic Gen 2.0 Test. That test listed my haplogroup as P310." That means he tested negative for U106.

    That leaves very few branches below P310 that Geno 2.0 didn't test that he could be positive for with DF27 being the largest one out of those. The others are DF99, A9063, and a couple more that can be seen at http://www.ytree.net/

    He can verify all of that by downloading the file that shows up in his default page like the one in the example at http://i.imgur.com/gcRTGZr.jpg

    He really should get the R1b - M343&M269 Backbone SNP Pack or BigY test then he wouldn't have this terminal SNP problem at FTDNA.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Armando View Post
      He really should get the R1b - M343&M269 Backbone SNP Pack or BigY test then he wouldn't have this terminal SNP problem at FTDNA.
      While FTDNA is suggesting the R1b - Z156 SNP Pack I agree with Armando and will go with the R1b - M343&M269 Backbone SNP Pack

      My Geno 2.0 test showing positive for FGC11678 is a mystery to me.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by MLT View Post
        While FTDNA is suggesting the R1b - Z156 SNP Pack I agree with Armando and will go with the R1b - M343&M269 Backbone SNP Pack

        My Geno 2.0 test showing positive for FGC11678 is a mystery to me.
        As I wrote to you by e-mail, did you check the csv file to make sure that there was a call for U106? If U106 was a "no call," then you are probably U106+. In that case, the Z156 SNP pack would be appropriate for you.

        Don't order any SNP pack until you've seen what call, if any, Geno 2.0 gave you for U106.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
          As I wrote to you by e-mail, did you check the csv file to make sure that there was a call for U106? If U106 was a "no call," then you are probably U106+. In that case, the Z156 SNP pack would be appropriate for you.

          Don't order any SNP pack until you've seen what call, if any, Geno 2.0 gave you for U106.
          I already know it won't be a no-call. There is always a positive or negative call for U106 in Geno 2.0 files.

          Comment

          Working...
          X