*Poof* You're A Uyghur!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sitw
    My apology. It was the spelling confusion. I really meant Cossacs, as you may see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossacs
    Ah, Cossacks. Then I would merely 'warn' you that different ethnic groups have very different historical perspectives on Cossackdom. I myself try to avoid the subject in mixed company.

Comment

• Originally posted by lgmayka
      Ah, Cossacks. Then I would merely 'warn' you that different ethnic groups have very different historical perspectives on Cossackdom. I myself try to avoid the subject in mixed company.
      yes, there are some authors in former Soviet Republics, particularly in Russia, who advocate some "non-traditional" theories of Cossak origin. Interestingly, in Russia most adepts of such theories (which simply stress the presence of non-Slavic components in the gene pool of this minority) are ethnic Cossaks who prefer being a distinct ethnos and treat the traditional theory as a reminiscence of Russian or Ukrainian nationalism, because both Russian and Ukrainian nationalists consider Cossaks of S. Russia as a mixture of Russians and Ukrainians. Nevertheless, from the population genetics standpoint, it does not matter which theory of Cossak origin dominates in the popular literature, formally, "Cossak" is a distinct population of Southern Russians.

ps. One may find it improper to recall the "criminal" definition of the 17th century, but I think it's OK to discuss the Cossak ethnic origin. BTW, this year we'll see molecular data from several Cossak populations
      Last edited by vraatyah; 1 May 2007, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Cossacks are mixture of Slavic and Turkic peoples. Russian outlaws and run-away peasants were finding refuge among Turkic peoples living in Ukrainian steppes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irubak
          Russian outlaws
          to the same extent as an average present day Australian descends from convicts, including those whose parents or grandparents were recent immigrants.

Comment

• Originally posted by vraatyah
            to the same extent as an average present day Australian descends from convicts, including those whose parents or grandparents were recent immigrants.
            'Outlaw' wasn't used as a disrespectful term, I was just stating the fact

Comment

• Don't recall if I posted in this thread before. Too lazy to look and see.

I match 'Uyghur II' from Xinjiang, China in my extended DNATRIBES report done in January 2007.

So.... *Poof* I'm an Uyghur too!

Comment

• Ah! So here is that old Uyghur thread.

Here is a link from the East Asian thread:
                http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/95/20/11501

Uyghurs are about 25% European.

For the record, the Uyghur 2 match that I had dropped to a non-match in my last DNATribes update (the 15 markers in January 2008).

below 1.0 is a non-match
                (0.23) 0.72
                Last edited by rainbow; 2 May 2008, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X