Stratford Lees of the South
    Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee
    Southern Slave Owners
    Arlington House
    Emancipation Records in South Carolina
    Slavery Archives in South Carolina
    Slavery Archives in Georgia

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Guest; 30 April 2006, 11:33 AM.
  • Eki
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by KONSHESGIRL
    I am looking for information about my Great Grandfather Moses Lee either out of Georgia or South Carolina. He was married to Daisy and lived in Abbeyville, South Carolina. Could have been part of the slaves Robert E. Lee freed on his deceased father-in-laws plantation.

My great-grandparents had 5 Children:
    (Gobner) Manning Lee: my grandfather
    James Lee
    Ollie Lee
    Ael Lee
    Pearl Lee

Most of the family later gravited to Grand Rapids, Michigan in the 1950's. I am looking for ANY possible leads on:

Born Free Slave Lists
    Robert E. Lee: Black offspring
    Stratford Lees of the South
    Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee
    Southern Slave Owners
    Arlington House
    Emancipation Records in South Carolina
    Slavery Archives in South Carolina
    Slavery Archives in Georgia

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    I have a 20/25 Y-DNA match at relativegenetics.com that says "Desc of William Henry Lee (b1798SC?>OH>ILd1855)". So I guess William Henry Lee was born in South Carolina in 1798.

Comment

• M.O'Connor
      FTDNA Customer
      • Oct 2005

Look at the top of the page for the word "PROJECTS" It is hidden within a string of words near the pot of this page. Look for Lee under projects. there may be answers in a Lee Surname project. Members also post family trees under "Patriarchs"

Comment

• Eki
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Eki
        I have a 20/25 Y-DNA match at relativegenetics.com that says "Desc of William Henry Lee (b1798SC?>OH>ILd1855)". So I guess William Henry Lee was born in South Carolina in 1798.
        I also have a 19/25 match saying "Desc of Charles Carter Lee (b1798StratfdVAd1871VA)". Wikipedia says Robert E Lee was from Virginia. Could this Charles Carter Lee have been a relative of Robert E Lee, or is Lee a very common name in Virginia?

Comment

• Eki
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Eki
          I also have a 19/25 match saying "Desc of Charles Carter Lee (b1798StratfdVAd1871VA)". Wikipedia says Robert E Lee was from Virginia. Could this Charles Carter Lee have been a relative of Robert E Lee, or is Lee a very common name in Virginia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E_Lee
          Google already answered my question. Looks like Charles Carter Lee was Robert E Lee's older brother:

Comment

• Eki
            • Nov 2005

You can see the Lee surname project results at Relative Genetics here:

login: Leefamily
            password: Leedna

They have several haplogroups (I1a, I1c, R1b, R1a, E3b and J2), so not all Lees have the same paternal ancestor.

Comment

• Eki
              • Nov 2005

I never knew the US political elite in the 19th century were so "inbred". Robert E Lee was related to presidents Zachary Taylor and Abraham Lincoln and Taylors daughter Sarah Knox Taylor was married to Confederate president Jefferson Davis.

Comment

• Eki
                • Nov 2005

These Virginia Lees have become very interesting to me. It looks like their ancestors were Normans in the 11th century Cheshire, England:

I also have some relatively close matches with people name Fleming, and have already earlier suspected my Y-DNA might have arrived in 14th century Finland (then part of Sweden) through southern Sweden (then part of Denmark):

It turned out that in 11th century there was a Norman called Gherbod the Fleming, who was the Earl of Chester:

This is like building a puzzle. Flemings and Lees in 11th century Chesire, some Flemings and Lees have similar Y-Dna. Could they have been related back in those times?

Comment

• Eki
                  • Nov 2005

Looks like the de Leigh family of Chesire claimed descent from Adeliza, Countess of Aumale, the half-sister of William the Conqueror:

And Gherbod the Fleming was the first husband of William Conqueror's wife Maude of Flanders:

I guess the Norman elite was quite "inbred" too, so maybe it's still possible that the Lees (Leighs) and the Flemings might be related.

Comment

• Eki
                    • Nov 2005

"It was the 8th Duke of Argyll who used to cry: “I am pure Celt”; however, there is no doubt at all that the arms of Campbell are anciently the arms of the Baldwins, Counts of Flanders."

Now it looks like that also DNA proves the Duke wrong. I have 19/25 matches with people named Campbell in the Relative Genetics database, as well as 13/17 and 12/16 matches with people named Wells, who apparently descend from Normans named de Welles:

"Richard d’Ouille (de Welles) ,b ca 1030, brother of Robert (Roger) d’Oilley, a companion of the Conqueror and 1st Castellan of Oxford held the Manor of Welle in Dorset and Manor of Wedna (Welle) in Essex, apparent ancestor (due to Saxon mispronunciation of Ouille) of Wells family in Dorset and Somerset)."

It would be nice to know if I had common ancestors with these people before or after the Norman times.

Comment

• Eki
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Eki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E_Lee
                      I updated my FTDNA markers to 37 and got some more markers also for the Relative Genetics database. Now I have a 25/32 match with "Desc of Charles Carter Lee (b1798StratfdVAd1871VA)". But I now also have a 19/21 match with someone named Davis. I wonder if Robert E Lee and Jefferson Davis were related?

Comment

• Sonia
                        • Dec 2004

I have Abbeville, SC Lees, too.

Greetings,

My LEEs are from Calhoun Falls, Abbeville Co, SC and I have kept track of your Moses Lee from census records to see if they connect to my Henderson LEE line (b. ca 1805 SC). Feel free to contact me offline at [email protected]. Sonia

Comment

• KONSHESGIRL

South Carolina Lee's

I am sorry, I haven't been to this posting in several months. Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have been more specific in my question: I am looking for information about my Great-GREAT-GF's family out of S. Carolina...not my great grandfather...and this search is for the paternal side....which consists of portugese jewish, & african....believed to be carib...yet still out of s. carolina.

On my maternal side, I have recently had access to my family's tree & the information was mind boggling to say the least...here I just thought we were black folk. But we are mixed with irish, native american, cuban & african. Go figure. I knew my ggf who was Irish, but I didn't really know what my ggm was until my gm died this past april. She told us what she knew, "cherokee, irish & black" but the cuban, was a surprise. I recently had my DNA done here at FTDNA and belong to the very rare haplogroup "W"....

last name MIRANEY....also out of south carolina.
                          Last edited by Guest; 31 July 2006, 01:02 AM. Reason: missed something

Comment

• K. Campbell
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • May 2003

Your reference below to the Campbell's being Flemish is just plain wrong. This myth has been completely debunked. A few avid internet posters keep this and other mis-information alive (The Campbells being Melungeon is another such lie.). DNA results if anything, prove the Duke right -- or as right as is possible with the current state of research.

Originally posted by Eki
                            "It was the 8th Duke of Argyll who used to cry: “I am pure Celt”; however, there is no doubt at all that the arms of Campbell are anciently the arms of the Baldwins, Counts of Flanders."

Now it looks like that also DNA proves the Duke wrong. I have 19/25 matches with people named Campbell in the Relative Genetics database, as well as 13/17 and 12/16 matches with people named Wells, who apparently descend from Normans named de Welles:

"Richard d’Ouille (de Welles) ,b ca 1030, brother of Robert (Roger) d’Oilley, a companion of the Conqueror and 1st Castellan of Oxford held the Manor of Welle in Dorset and Manor of Wedna (Welle) in Essex, apparent ancestor (due to Saxon mispronunciation of Ouille) of Wells family in Dorset and Somerset)."

It would be nice to know if I had common ancestors with these people before or after the Norman times.

Comment

• JacqueliFinley
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Nov 2017

ALL Lee Descendants

I am interested in helping all of the Lee descendants that are being denied their ancestry and are being discouraged by possible tampering with DNA results. If you are a Lee descendant, and we are cousins, regardless or race, color, religion, etc., and we all have the right to know our roots and family heritage. I know how difficult this can be.

Please contact me at [email protected] and share my contact information with any other Lee cousins interested in getting to the truth.

Thank you,
                              Jacqueli Finley

Comment

Working...
                              X