Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genographic Project nominated for Webby Awards!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genographic Project nominated for Webby Awards!

Voting for the 10th Annual Webby Awards is underway and the Genographic Project is a nominee! Just being in the list of nominees should bring new people to the project who otherwise wouldn't have looked for it, but won't it be great if the project also wins

The Webby Awards are awarded in 65 categories and each category actually gets two awards: the Webby Award and the People's Voice Award. The International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences votes for the Webby Award, but the public votes for the People's Voice Award.

The Genographic Project is in the lead in its category for the People's Voice Award right now, but the 2nd and 3rd place sites are close behind.

To vote, register at the Webby Awards website using this link:

http://peoplesvoice.webbyawards.com/register.mhtml

After you register and sign in, you'll see the 65 categories. The Genographic Project is in the Science category under the Society section (bottom of the Ballot Menu page).

Cast your vote by May 5th. Winners will be announced on May 9th and honored on June 12th in NYC.
    Last edited by efgen; 24 April 2006, 07:59 PM.

Originally posted by efriedman
    Voting for the 10th Annual Webby Awards is underway and the Genographic Project is a nominee! Just being in the list of nominees should bring new people to the project who otherwise wouldn't have looked for it, but won't it be great if the project also wins

The Webby Awards are awarded in 65 categories and each category actually gets two awards: the Webby Award and the People's Voice Award. The International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences votes for the Webby Award, but the public votes for the People's Voice Award.

The Genographic Project is in the lead in its category for the People's Voice Award right now, but the 2nd and 3rd place sites are close behind.

To vote, register at the Webby Awards website using this link:

http://peoplesvoice.webbyawards.com/register.mhtml

After you register and sign in, you'll see the 65 categories. The Genographic Project is in the Science category under the Society section (bottom of the Ballot Menu page).

Cast your vote by May 5th. Winners will be announced on May 9th and honored on June 12th in NYC.
    Every time I try to go to the People's Voice section of the web site to vote, I get "Internal Server Error" and cannot get in.

Anyone else having that problem?

I would like to vote for the Genographic Project.

Comment

broken link or something.

Comment

I just went back to the website and I'm getting that error now as well, though it was working fine before. Looks like they're having a problem with their web server, so I would try again in a few hours -- or worst case, tomorrow. Figures the site would break right after I mention it!

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efriedman
          I just went back to the website and I'm getting that error now as well, though it was working fine before. Looks like they're having a problem with their web server, so I would try again in a few hours -- or worst case, tomorrow. Figures the site would break right after I mention it!

Elise
          Thanks, Elise.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Comment

as I had posted in the news thread...there is a conference in South Africa next month (May i suppose) for the Genographic program

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...5551320467B252

Comment

This morning I successfully voted for the Genographic Project.

So far, it's in the lead, with 27% of the votes cast.

Comment

Same here .. voted this aternoon...still at 27% but in the lead ..
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisS
                  Same here .. voted this aternoon...still at 27% but in the lead ..
                  Chris
                  I hope everyone here will go to that site and vote for the Genographic Project, too.

Comment

I just voted. the Genographic Project is still in the lead with 26% but Astronomy Online is at its heels with 25% so please vote!
                    Judy

Comment

I put my vote in for The National Genographic Project. It's still in the lead by one percent.

Comment

Not everyone on the web knows about the voting, or cares. I for one do not sign-up to internet sites that i don't use daily. This voting really means nothing to me. i never heard about the site till this thread appeared.
                        Like-wise for billions of others.

The Geno program seems to be written by christian influenced scientists.

Why would they refer to a common ancester as eurasian Adam of MT Eve ?

There are other religious groups and people who may cringe at the projects use of Adam and Eve when it was totally unnecessary.

just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by M.O'Connor
                          Not everyone on the web knows about the voting, or cares. I for one do not sign-up to internet sites that i don't use daily. This voting really means nothing to me. i never heard about the site till this thread appeared.
                          Like-wise for billions of others.

Why would they refer to a common ancester as eurasian Adam of MT Eve ?

There are other religious groups and people who may cringe at the projects use of Adam and Eve when it was totally unnecessary.

just my opinion
                          I don't think the Genographic Project has any religious agenda.

"Adam and Eve" are just well known biblical names for the supposed progenitors of the human race. They are part of our common cultural coinage and are recognized even by those who profess no religion or who do not believe a literal Adam or a literal Eve ever existed. In labeling the common male and female ancestors of the human race "Adam and Eve," scientists are simply using names that make it clear what they mean.

Among religious persons, many do not believe in a literal Adam and Eve, and those who do include Jews and Muslims and not only Christians.

Besides that, the science behind the Genographic Project - or the theory and assumptions behind it - is most profoundly evolutionary and not specifically Christian.

According to the biblical account, human life originated in Mesopotamia, not in Africa, as the folks from the Genographic Project maintain.

I think it would be a great thing for the Genographic Project to win this award. It would bring the science of DNA testing added recognition and might inspire more people to have their DNA tested. That would just enlarge the data base and make the work of genealogists easier.

Comment

Originally posted by M.O'Connor

Why would they refer to a common ancester as eurasian Adam of MT Eve
                            As Stevo pointed out, the terms Adam and Eve are used by scientists as a cultural shorthand for male and female progenitors of the human race. Ironically, those of the Judeo-Christian faiths would be more likely to call our yDNA progenitor Noah instead of Adam, because our yDNA ancestor lived tens of thousands of years later than mtDNA ancestor Eve. (You may recall that according to Genesis, Noah and his sons repopulated the human race--with the help of their wives, of course.)

The Bible is our culture's single most famous book, and it should not surprise anyone that we all often draw on its language. We do the same for Shakespeare, though to a lesser extent.

Comment

Scientific short-cut?

well...this is intended to be a very worldly multi people project.

It's just my opinion on an observation I made of the project.

Does it make it easier to understand who our Eurasian Ancestor was?

no biggie to me...

Comment

Working...
                              X