Clear All

• Haplogroup T Help Please

I was tested by the NG Genographic Project and have markers

16126C
    16294T
    16296T
    16304C
    16519C

I understand from someone who wrote me some time ago that I ought to be classified a T2 but am not sure why. There was no explanation of why or what that means.

I'm not real sure what to do with this info. I have ordered the refining test from FamTreeDNA but am not sure exactly what that will tell me or what I can do with it. I did like the map that I got from the Genographic Project showing my acestors' trek from Eastern Africa to an area close to Archangel, evidently a town in Russia that is close to St. Petersburg. I have a difficult time reconciling this with my oldest known ancestor on the mtDNA line, Martha McNeil that evidently was born in Ontario Canada but whose ancestors probably came from either Ireland or Scotland. Will FamilyTreeDNA provide a similar map for the results of the next round of testing or must I imagine that in my mind? Or will it even tell me where my ancestors were during that earlier period? I don't even have any idea about what "period" it will test. How many more generations closer to me will it bring my ancient ancestry? I think my Hap T ancestors arose sometime about 10,000 years ago but does anyone have a "guestimate" of when they might have arrived in that Russian location?

I mistakenly posted this on another thread earlier; I apologize. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

I'm not sure how up-to-date this site is. It shows the branches of the Maternal Haplo Groups. They list T* and T1...You might find some information here. There are contacts there also for questions.

http://www.worldfamilies.net/mtDNA.htm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a

If you went to that site and clicked on Haplogroup Project T*, and followed the links to the results page you would end up here.
    http://www.worldfamilies.net/mtdna/t1/results.html

Check the other T1-Project. Look at the Matriarch pages. There is email contact. http://www.worldfamilies.net/mtdna/t1/
    Last edited by M.O'Connor; 21 April 2006, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Thank you! and....

Checking the markers, it appears that I don't fit in Haplogroup T* or T1. My markers, I am told indicate that I am a T2. Any ideas where I might go for info on that? I have searched but have not been very successful.

Also, how long will it take for me to get my HVR2 testing results, any idea? I did not have my initial testing done through FamilyTreeDNA but instead through the NG Genographic project. I don't even know if I will be getting my results by mail or over the internet. There is nothing on my personal page at FTDNA to indicate that I have ordered tests or at what stage they are at. On the NG Genographic project page we were able to track the progress of the testing.

I appreciate your assistance.

Comment

I am new here, and don't know anything about haplogroup T. I would, however, like to point out that it is easy to reconcile a result showing origin in the White Sea area with an oldest known mtDNA-relative in Scotland or Ireland. The Norwegian Vikings actually found many of their slaves in the White Sea area, and slaves where often freed and become part of the Viking society. Some of these freed slaves could easily have participated in the colonization of Ireland. York (Jordvik) was one of the cities founded by Norwegian vikings. This is of course only one of many probable explanations. Europeans have always migrated between different European countries, although usually only a few thousand people each year.

Comment

Would the vikings bring slaves from all the way from the White Sea area to Ireland..when there are people in Ireland already that they can exploit?

..and I supose that was around 1000+ BP?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa

ChynahMoon: If you've ordered a test. I have found that the
          "PENDING RESULTS" tab doesn't show up right away on your home-page.

Once the Pending Results tab is added to your home-page
          ..click on it and you will see the tests ordered and approximate date of completion. It will list the Batch number that your sample is involved with.

If you look at the forum "Batch Calendar" there will be a topic named after your Batch number. There you can converse with others and share some idea.
          Shared information about the progress of the batch

Comment

Originally posted by ChynahMoon View Post

16126C
            16294T
            16296T
            16304C
            16519C

I understand from someone who wrote me some time ago that I ought to be classified a T2 but am not sure why. There was no explanation of why or what that means.

I'm not real sure what to do with this info. I have ordered the refining test from FamTreeDNA but am not sure exactly what that will tell me or what I can do with it. I did like the map that I got from the Genographic Project showing my acestors' trek from Eastern Africa to an area close to Archangel, evidently a town in Russia that is close to St. Petersburg. I have a difficult time reconciling this with my oldest known ancestor on the mtDNA line, Martha McNeil that evidently was born in Ontario Canada but whose ancestors probably came from either Ireland or Scotland. Will FamilyTreeDNA provide a similar map for the results of the next round of testing or must I imagine that in my mind? Or will it even tell me where my ancestors were during that earlier period? I don't even have any idea about what "period" it will test. How many more generations closer to me will it bring my ancient ancestry? I think my Hap T ancestors arose sometime about 10,000 years ago but does anyone have a "guestimate" of when they might have arrived in that Russian location?

I mistakenly posted this on another thread earlier; I apologize. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.
            Have you found anything more on your Martha McNeil? Have you joined the Clan MacNeil DNA Project??

Comment

Sympathy

Checking the markers, it appears that I don't fit in Haplogroup T* or T1. My markers, I am told indicate that I am a T2. Any ideas where I might go for info on that? I have searched but have not been very successful.

Also, how long will it take for me to get my HVR2 testing results, any idea? I did not have my initial testing done through FamilyTreeDNA but instead through the NG Genographic project. I don't even know if I will be getting my results by mail or over the internet. There is nothing on my personal page at FTDNA to indicate that I have ordered tests or at what stage they are at. On the NG Genographic project page we were able to track the progress of the testing.

I appreciate your assistance.

I too am a T. Different configuration, but a T.

Some thoughts for you:

FT DNA does the testing for the National Geo Project.

Write Darren at FT DNA. He is an extremely helpful person. Look for him in their Contact section. He will himself or through Ashley clear up any confusion as to the status of your tests.

Time to results is a function of the load on FT DNA at the moment and the quality of your sample. I am on my second round of testing for my FGS because they could not get a quality "read" on it. The testing protocol is very strict. However my HVR1 and 2 came in within 3 weeks of my ordering it, 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

You will read lots of theories about the origin of you DNA and how it came to be where it is. I would do a Johnny Depp, read them, and say, now that's interesting. Some may even be helpful. T is a very old haplogroup and widely dispersed but at low frequencies. Different configurations of markers are found in concentrations in different localities, however. My T, for instance, is said to be Eastern Mediterranean. My closest matches are in Spain, Sicily, German, Mexico, and Syria (as well as my mother's home country). But my mother's family thought of themselves as Bahamian and English. They believed themselves to have been in the Bahamas for at least 300 years. England before that. MT DNA changes slowly and there is a good chance there is a very long period of time separating you and your matches from a common ancestor. Or you could, as I did, find 7 known cousins in the data bank. Again, as I understand it and I am no expert, T is widely distributed through Europe and into the Near East, but not at the high frequencies of some of the mt Haplogroups. There is a lot left to be learned about it and its anthropological history.

On the other hand, be aware that there are people who visit this forum who do in fact know quite a bit about T. Look for posts by people like Ann Turner or Valarey (sp?). He in particular may be of interest given what you say you have been told about the possible epicenter of your T. Also be aware that there is a project underway, the T Project, where in excess of 250 T's are receiving a full FGS. We may soon know a lot more about T. Welcome to the party.

Comment

My cousin's mtDNA is T2, having the same differences to the CRS as you, with an additional one, actually a deletion at 16257, or listed as 16257- .

My cousin's is Norwegian / Finnish, and there are other exact matches in Finland.

I'm still waiting on the HVR2 results.

In the Scandinavian mtDNA Project, there are 3 people with your exact T2 differences to the CRS... interestingly they also have their HVR2 numbers.

I'd suggest that you do HVR2 as well.

16126C
                16294T
                16296T
                16304C
                16519C

Comment

Working...
                X