Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geno 2.0 NG and transfer cost

Hi had a kit result in Geno 2.o NG .

Can someone tell me if I transfer that over to FTREE DNA which is advertised as free, is there any other costs involved to be able to compare my result with others just like any other kit .

You can't do autosomal DNA matching unless you get the Family Finder for the reduced price of $39. Males can't do Y-DNA STR matching unless they get an STR test at regular price and no one can get mtDNA matching unless they get mtDNA testing at regular price. The only thing that males can somewhat do for comparison of Y-DNA is look at what other people have for their SNPs in the SNP pages of projects. I can't remember if the mtDNA mutations show up on the mtDNA page at FTDNA without an mtDNA test from FTDNA.

Comment

Transfer of Geno 2 NG to FTDNA free?

Thank you Armando
      I had the STR 12 marker test done three years ago but there were only a couple of matches with different surnames so I wasn't going to consider testing more STRs.

The Geno 2Ng test results were transfered to the same yDNA kit number so was useful in some way and I'm sure the surname project would have been happy to get the extra SNPs as well. But most of all I was very happy to get quite a bit of other information to show the person who supplied the DNA. Something that FTDNA is lacking.

I can use the autosomal matching and comparison facility.

The mtDNA does not appear in FTDNA and won't unless I pay more money but I consider that test to be the most useless test in my opinion. So I won't be doing that.

So I was wondering that if I had not paid the $39 what would be the point of the free transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lassie View Post
        Thank you Armando
        I had the STR 12 marker test done three years ago but there were only a couple of matches with different surnames so I wasn't going to consider testing more STRs.

The Geno 2Ng test results were transfered to the same yDNA kit number so was useful in some way and I'm sure the surname project would have been happy to get the extra SNPs as well. But most of all I was very happy to get quite a bit of other information to show the person who supplied the DNA. Something that FTDNA is lacking.

I can use the autosomal matching and comparison facility.

The mtDNA does not appear in FTDNA and won't unless I pay more money but I consider that test to be the most useless test in my opinion. So I won't be doing that.

So I was wondering that if I had not paid the $39 what would be the point of the free transfer.
        Without the $39 Family Finder the extras are the Y-DNA haplotree with the positive SNPs in green, the Y-DNA CSV file, and the mtDNA CSV file but even that isn't all that good of a reason to do a transfer if other testing isn't going to be done.

Comment

One thing I wonder is why it sometimes takes so long for the full $39 transfer to FamilyFinder to go through. All the DNA testing is already done. ALl they need to do is just feed the RAW data into FamilyFInder database, but on my current transfer the estimated completion time is 5-8 weeks?! That's nearing as long as the test from scratch would take.

Comment

Apparently they had some weird bug in their transfer system, nothing to do with the data itself, I guess maybe some weird computer code where some storage structure overflowed in some cases, whatever, anyway it seems like they fixed the last of the potential Geno transfer into FamilyFinder database bugs so that probably should not be a worry any more.

Comment

Working...
            X