Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geno 2.0 Next Gen versus Family Tree DNA testing

Hello there,

I am currently awaiting my results from a 1) Family Finder test, 2) mtFullSequence, and 3) Y-DNA at 67 markers from Family Tree DNA. They should be ready in a couple of months.

My question is, I just became aware of the existence of the Genographic Project. Is there any reason why I should also test with them, having ordered the 3 above mentioned tests from FTDNA? Would I receive more/different/deeper information if I also test with the Geno 2.0 kit?

Thanks a lot!

No need to test with Geno. You have almost all your bases covered, except perhaps a deep y-subclade assignment based on terminal SNP (67 STRs will only give you broad haplogroup). But you might not even care about that; it's not really necessary for genealogy in modern time frames.

You're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderbluenyc View Post
      Hello there,

I am currently awaiting my results from a 1) Family Finder test, 2) mtFullSequence, and 3) Y-DNA at 67 markers from Family Tree DNA. They should be ready in a couple of months.

My question is, I just became aware of the existence of the Genographic Project. Is there any reason why I should also test with them, having ordered the 3 above mentioned tests from FTDNA? Would I receive more/different/deeper information if I also test with the Geno 2.0 kit?

Thanks a lot!
      The FamilyTreeDNA mtFullSequence test is much better than the mtDNA test by Geno 2.0 and you get a FASTA file from FTDNA that you can upload to http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/ and you get matching. Geno 2.0 provides a limited CSV file for the mtDNA and does not provide matching.

The Geno 2.0 test does not provide the raw file for the autosomal DNA test. They just provide an ethnicity estimate. After a free transfer to FTDNA an option to purchase the Family Finder test for $39 is made available. Some people like the ethnicity test from Geno more but that also depends on where your ancestors are from and what you are looking for from the ethnicity test.

As Leo76 stated that 67 marker test will provide a predicted haplogroup but does not provide Y-DNA SNP testing. If you are in a haplogroup that has SNP packs at FTDNA then the advantage of the Y-DNA SNP testing by Geno 2.0 is very small especially since they haven't completed the fixing of the mess caused by their haplogroup caller. Look for the posts here and the Anthrogenica forum on the Geno 2.0 mess. If you get a BigY test at FTDNA then there is absolutely no advantage to the Geno 2.0 test since the BigY is far better than Geno 2.0 Y-DNA testing.

Geno 2.0 does not do Y-DNA STR testing and therefore can't do Y-DNA matching. Your Y-DNA at 67 markers test at FTDNA is a Y-DNA STR test which allows for matching at FTDNA.
      Last edited by Armando; 7th May 2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo76 View Post
        No need to test with Geno. You have almost all your bases covered, except perhaps a deep y-subclade assignment based on terminal SNP (67 STRs will only give you broad haplogroup). But you might not even care about that; it's not really necessary for genealogy in modern time frames.

You're good to go.
        Thanks Leo! I appreciate your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
          The FamilyTreeDNA mtFullSequence test is much better than the mtDNA test by Geno 2.0 and you get a FASTA file from FTDNA that you can upload to http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/ and you get matching. Geno 2.0 provides a limited CSV file for the mtDNA and does not provide matching.

The Geno 2.0 test does not provide the raw file for the autosomal DNA test. They just provide an ethnicity estimate. After a free transfer to FTDNA an option to purchase the Family Finder test for $39 is made available. Some people like the ethnicity test from Geno more but that also depends on where your ancestors are from and what you are looking for from the ethnicity test.

As Leo76 stated that 67 marker test will provide a predicted haplogroup but does not provide Y-DNA SNP testing. If you are in a haplogroup that has SNP packs at FTDNA then the advantage of the Y-DNA SNP testing by Geno 2.0 is very small especially since they haven't completed the fixing of the mess caused by their haplogroup caller. Look for the posts here and the Anthrogenica forum on the Geno 2.0 mess. If you get a BigY test at FTDNA then there is absolutely no advantage to the Geno 2.0 test since the BigY is far better than Geno 2.0 Y-DNA testing.

Geno 2.0 does not do Y-DNA STR testing and therefore can't do Y-DNA matching. Your Y-DNA at 67 markers test at FTDNA is a Y-DNA STR test which allows for matching at FTDNA.
          Wonderful, thanks a lot Armando. I might get into the SNPs testing later on depending on the results from FTDNA.

I am mostly interested in finding the roots of my paternal (Jewish-Polish) ancestors since we have no data whatsoever from that side of the family once my grandparents migrated to Argentina in the early 1900s. Most likely several of those relatives died during the holocaust. That said, we heard rumors that some men escaped to England.

I have joined already a surname project, so I hope to find more information once I receive my results. I might even go for the BigY at FTDNA later on.

Cheers.
          Last edited by thunderbluenyc; 7th May 2016, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Hello there,

Thanks a lot!
            Well the things you'd miss are:
            Geno 2.0 NG gives you reference populations averages from a ton of populations for Ancestry Composition while FamilyFinder MyOrigins kinda leaves you having without a clue of what people from current areas tend to score. And it also seems to plot the regions out in a more accurate fashion than MyOrigins does (for instance MyOrigins shows the Eastern European barely even covering Latvia, despite some Latvians getting like just about 100% of that! While on Geno 2.0 NG they show, properly, that component, easily covering all of the Baltics and just overall it's shape seems more accurate to what it actually picks up. Same goes for Finnish and Siberian where they show a much larger and different area that also seems to be much more accurate, etc. The actual component % might be very similar to the same though.)

It also gives you a nice series of maps for both haplogroups and you can track them step by step out of Africa and it tells you information each step along the way that is nice.

mtFull obviously gives you better mtDNA haplo than Geno.

Y STR 67 gives worse haplo info although does allow for some matching which the SNP test at Geno would not allow for.

For a first time tester, I'd suggest starting with Geno 2.0 NG and doing the full transfer to FTDNA and then adding on mtFULL or YBig etc. later on if you want can afford it.

As an upgrade from Geno 2.0 users, I'm not so sure. I could see doing it for one person for sure, after that, for others in your family/group, maybe it's more sense to just have other Geno 2.0 users do FF and, if desired, mtFULL or some Y test.

Comment

Wonderful, thanks a lot Armando. I might get into the SNPs testing later on depending on the results from FTDNA.

I am mostly interested in finding the roots of my paternal (Jewish-Polish) ancestors since we have no data whatsoever from that side of the family once my grandparents migrated to Argentina in the early 1900s. Most likely several of those relatives died during the holocaust. That said, we heard rumors that some men escaped to England.

I have joined already a surname project, so I hope to find more information once I receive my results. I might even go for the BigY at FTDNA later on.

Cheers.
              Well you don't perhaps don't sound particularly interested in deep ancestry tracing or anthropology and migrations or ancestry composition and all that stuff that I like, but simply genealogy and nothing more (?), so you probably wouldn't get anything extra out of Geno and probably just want to get into FTDNA database, onto GEDMATCH, maybe into 23 and ancestry databases and perahps do BigY for more matching (although many get few hits).

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input!

After reading more and more, learning tons of cool stuff, I think I will take the Geno 2.0 NG test in order to learn more about my deep ancestry tracing and anthropology (which I find fascinating). Also, testing in two different platforms/companies might give more (hopefully!) confidence in the results.

Finding matches is definitely interesting for the past few generations, but eventually I'd also want to know the big picture of how the different composition of ethnic groups came to be.

Comment

The Geno test is processed by FTDNA, so you are not testing with 2 companies. The Geno test only has one part that it does that your current FTDNA tests don't do and that is SNP testing. If that interests you, you can order SNP Packs or preferably the Big Y which is better than any SNP Pack. The Big Y becomes an option to order in your kit after you have your Y-DNA test batched. Read up on it as it might interest you if you want to research your deep ancestry. So basically, it would be wasteful to order a Geno test given the FTDNA tests you have already ordered.

Comment

Geno Test

After my DNA being analyzed twice for accuracy at Geno Project 2. My mtdna designation is J1c4. My full mt results after testing at FTDNA is J1c.

If I am officially J1c4 at Geno, partnership with FTDNA, what does that mean for my J1c matches at FTDNA?

Comment

Originally posted by Amerijoe View Post
                      After my DNA being analyzed twice for accuracy at Geno Project 2. My mtdna designation is J1c4. My full mt results after testing at FTDNA is J1c.

If I am officially J1c4 at Geno, partnership with FTDNA, what does that mean for my J1c matches at FTDNA?
                      To your matches at FTDNA?

Matches do not change, regardless of your haplogroup designation.

Mr W

P.S.
                      If you take a look at https://www.familytreedna.com/mtDNA-...Mutations.aspx and at your mtDNA results, do you have A9632G and T12083g ? These are mutations required to be classified as J1c4.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                        The Geno test is processed by FTDNA, so you are not testing with 2 companies. The Geno test only has one part that it does that your current FTDNA tests don't do and that is SNP testing. If that interests you, you can order SNP Packs or preferably the Big Y which is better than any SNP Pack. The Big Y becomes an option to order in your kit after you have your Y-DNA test batched. Read up on it as it might interest you if you want to research your deep ancestry. So basically, it would be wasteful to order a Geno test given the FTDNA tests you have already ordered.
                        Even though both FTDNA tests and Geno tests are processed by the FTDNA lab they really are very different tests. They use different Illumina chips, different SNPs, different reference databases, and they even have different phylogenetic trees.

The Geno 2+ Y-DNA SNP test is very limited although some Y-DNA subclades are better covered than some SNP packs, if they are even available at FTDNA, but the results aren't 100% reliable because they don't always correctly test the Y-DNA. Sometimes Geno 2+ tests the reverse strand which doesn't do anyone any good. All of the other companies and Ybrowse use the forward strand. They claim they test 15,000 Y-DNA SNPs but many of them are just redundant names for the exact same mutation. Then for the mtDNA Geno 2+ doesn't even test all of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X