Original Geno 2.0 results refined?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Geno 2.0 results refined?

My father and I each did the Geno 2.0 (not Next Generation) when it was new, back in the fall of 2012.

I had copied and downloaded all the information back then, and haven't logged in very often since. But for jollies, I logged in today. There were some small changes, in the display mostly, but I noticed the estimate for my nearest mtDNA branch, K1A, has refined the estimated age from 20,500 +/- 6,050 years ago in 2012, to 18,400 ± 1,730 years ago today. I'm actually K1a3, but doubt they will ever add that last branch step to my heat map and description.

Has anyone else seen changes or heard if results from the Next Generation, or any other source, are being used to improve reported results on the older Geno 2.0 test?

Another little change was that they no longer show your actual mt or Y haplogroup on the "Your Deep Ancestry" page (heat map & description page), where they used to put them on the tabs, which now just say "Your Maternal Line," or "Your Paternal Line." Wonder why that got removed? Did it cost too much to keep the old code to show it?

Geno project

I'm thinking you are talking about the same thing that I'm about to but, my apologies if you're not.

It was my understanding that samples through FF were automatically submitted to the Nat Geo Genographic project. Is that still the case? If so, do you receive any reports from them about your sample?

Comment

I did the original Geno 2.0 back in 2013. Sometime between then and 2015, IIRC, they refined and updated my mtDNA haplogroup to be more precise, bringing it up from K1a to K1a15.

So I think they've been working behind the scenes off and on to keep things fresh and accurate.

There have probably been some client interface stylistic changes, too.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrinkman View Post
        I'm thinking you are talking about the same thing that I'm about to but, my apologies if you're not.

It was my understanding that samples through FF were automatically submitted to the Nat Geo Genographic project. Is that still the case? If so, do you receive any reports from them about your sample?
        Do you mean Family Finder tests originally done through FTDNA? I've never heard that. I manage ten other FF kits, and there was no mention in the release forms, or anywhere else, about FTDNA submitting results to the Geno project. I think it would be ethically wrong to do so, without getting permission from the owner of the DNA. If you do the Geno 2.0 test (original or Next Gen), you can transfer them to FTDNA. FTDNA does the actual lab testing for National Geographic, so they already have the sample stored in custody for Nat. Geo. Transferring just gives them permission to access it for FTDNA testing.

Leo76, they haven't refined my mtDNA haplogroup, just the age estimates. It was given as K1a3 at the beginning, just the map only went to K1a. It would be nice if they could get down to the next level (K1a1, K1a2, etc).

One of my trivial pet peeves back in 2012 when I got my results was that although they actually advertised that you could print the results out and save them in the nice box the kit came in, that was not the case. Besides the fact that the box is not 8" by 11", there was no "print" format available on the website. Of course, you could always print the webpage, but you'd get extraneous stuff, not just your results on the printed page that way. There are ways to provide a webpage's contents formatted for printing, and clicking on a "print" button will usually give that result. They could probably even set it up to print so you could fold it to fit the box!

For some reason I thought that print option had changed since, but I didn't think to look when I logged in earlier. Maybe it was for the Next Gen version.

Comment

I checked my files, and discovered that I had logged in in 2014 and found the print option then - just forgot in the meantime. It's in the column on the right of the "dashboard" page after you've logged in. Page is normal U.S. size, 8" by 11".
          Last edited by KATM; 4 May 2016, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X