Who should I have tested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should I have tested?

I have not yet ordered a test because I am not sure who I should be giving it to. I am trying to find out if I am Jewish on my Maternal Grandfather's side. I am not sure if it came through his mother's family or his father's. Who would I have tested for the mother's side? Help!

Originally posted by Roxy
    I have not yet ordered a test because I am not sure who I should be giving it to. I am trying to find out if I am Jewish on my Maternal Grandfather's side. I am not sure if it came through his mother's family or his father's. Who would I have tested for the mother's side? Help!
    I'd say your grandfather, his brothers or their sons.

Comment

Unfortunately, my grandfather and his only sibling (brother) have both passed away. My grandfather had one son and so did his brother. Would I need my grandfather's cousin in order to get his mother's side of the family? Testing my uncle would only show if it came through the men right? I'm so confused.

Comment

Roxy,

You might check out the Inheritance Chart available off FamilyTreeDNA's home page - www.familytreedna.com - for guidance.

I suppose you need to contact and test members of the extended maternal family to find carriers of the supposed Jewish yDNA or mtDNA lines.

Also you might read some of the threads in the other forums on his page - DNA and Genealogy, Y-DNA Help and Mitosearch Help - that relate to the determination of Jewish ancestry by yDNA and mtDNA tests.

There are no exclusively Jewish yDNA or mtDNA haplogroups. And besides the yDNA "Cohanim haplotype" I am not aware that any other Jewish yDNA or mtDNA "markers" have been identified.

This seems a problem better addressed by paper genealogy. But there is an autosomal test that has reference Jewish populations in it's comparative database. See - www.dnatribes.com

Tom

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for the help. I did look at the Inheritance Chart but it wasn't helpful. I think what I have figured out is that I would have to test one of my grandfather's female cousins (or their daughters) to trace it through his mother's line. My grandfather had done extensive paper research before his death and was stonewalled on the Jewish question by family members who preferred not to know. Those who were upset are no longer living so I might be able to get someone of my generation to help. I will check out the website for dnatribes. Thanks.

Roxy

Comment

Working...
          X