Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bringing the DNA information current?

Hello,

I just received my results from National Geographic - Haplogroup E3b (M35).

I understand from other postings the Y chromosome DNA (in males) represents a miniscule portion of all the genetic material that is passed down from one generation to another.

Also, that information has little to do with external physical traits of the person.

I am very curious to know the genetic basis for my physical traits.

Specifically, I am caucasion (blue eyes and brown hair), but my paternal grandmother (who was born in the area in Europe which is very close to the border with Asia) had many oriental features.

I was also told by a physician that my eyes include an epithelial fold which he said was an oriental racial haracteristic.

I am hoping to trace my DNA from where the information provided by National Geographic ends, to the present. I have just ordered a DeepSNP-E3b test from Family Tree DNA. What further information will the test result provide to me?

I am thrilled to now be involved in this fascinating area of inquiry, and just getting started to learn about it. Any information you can provide would be very appreciated.

Steve

Y-DNA and Mt-DNA tests, however detailed, can only tell you about your direct paternal and maternal lines respectively. In order to get any information about the rest (the majority) of your ancestors and the origin of physical traits, you need to test your autosomal DNA.

AtDNA is the DNA of the 22 chromosomes that are a 50-50 blend of paternal and maternal autosomal DNA.

There are, at present, only 2 such tests available: DNATribes (www.dnatribes.com) and AncestryByDNA 2.5 (www.ancestrybydna.com). DNATribes test yields scored matches to reference populations, in order to get good matches you should first visit their site and see for yourself if the references populations in which you are most interested are part of DNAT's database. AncestryByDNA yields percentage estimates of ancestries from 4 major (generic) populations - European, East Asian, Native American and Sub-Saharan African. Depending on your ABDNA scores you may qualify for their follow-on Euro 1.0 test that yields percentage estimates of origin from different areas of Europe. You should visit their site first to see for yourself if either of these tests would be satisfying or useful to you.

Ethnoancestry (www.ethnoancestry.com) has promised another AtDNA for release this year. You might want to read what they have to say about their proposed offering.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by sbs
      Hello,

I just received my results from National Geographic - Haplogroup E3b (M35).

I understand from other postings the Y chromosome DNA (in males) represents a miniscule portion of all the genetic material that is passed down from one generation to another.

Also, that information has little to do with external physical traits of the person.

I am very curious to know the genetic basis for my physical traits.

Specifically, I am caucasion (blue eyes and brown hair), but my paternal grandmother (who was born in the area in Europe which is very close to the border with Asia) had many oriental features.

I was also told by a physician that my eyes include an epithelial fold which he said was an oriental racial haracteristic.

I am hoping to trace my DNA from where the information provided by National Geographic ends, to the present. I have just ordered a DeepSNP-E3b test from Family Tree DNA. What further information will the test result provide to me?

I am thrilled to now be involved in this fascinating area of inquiry, and just getting started to learn about it. Any information you can provide would be very appreciated.

Steve
      Hello Steve,

Welcome to E3b. Your understanding of Y-DNA haplogroup is correct: it has practically nothing to do with physical traits, which as it has already been mentioned elsewhere depend on autosomal DNA.

There can be, however, some loose correlation between haplogroups and phenotype or physical traits, particularly in populations that have remained relatively isolated for very long periods of time. Such populations that are considered autochthonous are of the greatest interest to projects such as the Genographic Project because they can represent genetic pools in a more pristine state.

For most of us and in general terms, the farthest away our ancestral migrations have taken us over the centuries, the more diluted and/or mixed our genes have usually become. So now it isn't rare to find in a single individual traits whose origins can be traced to dissimilar ethnicities. Such as the Asian epicanthic fold and North Europe's blue eyes, among some of the most noticeable.

Autosomal DNA tests, IMO, haven't reached yet the desired resolution (and some would say accuracy) to give us a detailed explanation of our genetic make-up, although rapid progress is being made. The problem is not on the technological side but on the correct identification of autochthonous genetic markers first and their unambiguous correlation to specific bio-geographical origins.

Anyway, just in case you haven't stumbled across with our E3b Project, I recommend you browse around and consider joining so that your haplotype is included in the next haplogroup cladograms.

There are a few other websites related to E3b and a few must-read studies that you can find posted in this forum. Just do a search for E3b and take your time to review whatever you find interesting. There's a loong road of discovery ahead!

Best regards,
      Victor

p.s. And please let us know of your SNP results when you get them.

Comment

Working...
      X