Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 Haplogroup

Hello,

I received my results from the Genographic project and it identifes me as part of the L2 haplogroup. On the map on my results page, there are 3 small pics at the bottom. One that shows the migratory patterns, one that shows people in Rwanda, and another that shows the Bantu culture.

What I'd like to know is this: Are those pics just examples of the L2 haplogroup or are the results saying that my ancestors really did come from Rwanda and were of the Bantu culture? I would just like to be sure that I'm reading this right.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

African haplogroups

Hi Silver,
    I am an L3 per the Genograhic project. I believe the results we received are highly ambiguous.It doesn't tell exactly what area,village,township etc., only that we share the same genetic markers from a large group of people already residing in a common country on a common continent. What about tribal affiliations? I don't think they delved too far into our stories with only 12 markers. In truth, there are so few of us of African origin that are participating. I just want credibility to the stories I've heard from the old ones. I'm trying to figure out exactly what tests I need to add more depth. I don't want to buy tests that have already been done. I want to avoid the proverbial rip off. Maybe this is your answer as well.
    African Ancestry.com can give more detail. Just keep surfing.

Comment

DNA Testing

I haven't taken the test yet. I plan on taking the test with National Geographic. I want to know whether the test reveals the country that your ancestor's came from or whether it just tells you the continent that they came from. I already know that I am part Subsaharan African and part European, I would like to know the exact country in Africa that they originated from.

Comment

Unfortunately, your Y-DNA and your mtDNA aren't reproduced in your body with some sort of label "Made in ... ". So exact locations cannot be inferred from one sample alone. The whole idea of DNA tests, especially the Genographic Project, is to test as many people as possible so that the exact location where any mutation first occurred can be inferred from where and how these new haplogroups spread. That will take some time, as it depends on the number of people who can get tested, but it cannot be done unless people participate who are willing to wait a while for definite answers. Consider your participation in the Genographic Project as the first stage in testing, and upgrade later for as much as you can afford. More detailed information than sub-Saharan Africa can undoubtedly be retrieved from your DNA, but that is beyond the scope of the 99$ test the Genographic Project is able to offer its customers.

Also, keep in mind that there probably were no villages yet at the time most mtDNA mutations occurred, and people were moving around a lot.

Comment

They are just examples. L2 is common-I think it avarages about 30%-in just about all groups in western, central and southern africa.

Comment

Working...
          X