Is this common to get this message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this common to get this message

Today I logged into the genographic website to track my kit and found the following comments:
    ----------------------------------------
    Your sample has completed the DNA analysis phase of testing. However, during quality control your initial results failed to clearly indicate your haplogroup. We must perform additional testing to accurately determine your deep ancestral lineage. This is not uncommon, but will delay the posting of your results by two to three weeks.

We appreciate your patience. Please also note that this delay is a sign of the Project's success in increasing the diversity of samples in our database.

--------------------------

What does it mean? Is it very common? Have you guys recieved similar comments?

Thanks,
    Haider

Originally posted by haider
    Today I logged into the genographic website to track my kit and found the following comments:
    ----------------------------------------
    Your sample has completed the DNA analysis phase of testing. However, during quality control your initial results failed to clearly indicate your haplogroup. We must perform additional testing to accurately determine your deep ancestral lineage. This is not uncommon, but will delay the posting of your results by two to three weeks.

We appreciate your patience. Please also note that this delay is a sign of the Project's success in increasing the diversity of samples in our database.

--------------------------

What does it mean? Is it very common? Have you guys recieved similar comments?

Thanks,
    Haider
    It means that they need to do an SNP test to verify your Y-DNA Haplogroup. They initially do an STR test that PREDICTS your haplogroup based on the STR. So, most people get results that are a 'probability' based on STR and are not confirmed by SNP (a different test). This is a blessing in disguise, because you will then be sure beyond a shadow of a doubt of your Haplogroup, where as most everyone else has an 'educated guess' of their haplogroup. Normally, people have to pay for this service (which is extra) and it can cost anywhere from $65-$100 depending on the company. Your STR results must have had ambiguous results.

Comment

Thank you very much bobr for the explanation.

I am happy now

Comment

Working...
      X