Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Transferring my Geno 2.0 results - whats up next

Hello!
    I just transferring my Geno 2.0 results to FTDNA.
    The results are Y-DNA: R-CTS4065, mtDNA: H
    I found it in the haplotree. So far so good. I try to find out something about CTS4065 but didnĀ“t found much information about it. National Genographic told that only 0,2% of the tested person have it.
    The questions for me are: what nation, tribe (Celts, Germans, Slavs) had it.
    What should be my next step?

You should join the DF27 project and email the admins. https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b-DF27/

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
      You should join the DF27 project and email the admins. https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b-DF27/
      That looks like an old address. FTDNA, in their infinite wisdom, changed the links to all public pages when they rolled out myGroups and they didn't change the old links to transfer us to the new links. Thanks FTDNA!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        That looks like an old address. FTDNA, in their infinite wisdom, changed the links to all public pages when they rolled out myGroups and they didn't change the old links to transfer us to the new links. Thanks FTDNA!
        https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1b-DF27/ appears to be one that was not migrated. That is, it is working.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
          Thank you for the answer. I going to try this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
            The projects that didn't switch to myGroups still use the same address. That is why that link still works.

Comment

Glad to know they haven't messed them up yet. Beware April 16th.

Comment

When transferring Geno 2, why is FTDNA mtDNA haplogroup not updated?

I have transferred my National Genographic results to FTDNA, but it refuses to show my updated mtDNA M66B haplogroup, determined by Geno 2. It persists in showing my old and very broad FTDNA haplogroup M.

This is frustrating, since I might as well not have done the transfer if it is not going to show the updated result.

Is there some way in which to facilitate this to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by dnaexplorer View Post
                  I have transferred my National Genographic results to FTDNA, but it refuses to show my updated mtDNA M66B haplogroup, determined by Geno 2. It persists in showing my old and very broad FTDNA haplogroup M.

This is frustrating, since I might as well not have done the transfer if it is not going to show the updated result.

The transfer is useful for people that haven't had an mtDNA test at all and haven't had extensive Y-DNA SNP testing.

In your case you would have to get a Full Sequence test for your mtDNA to show up as a more accurate haplogroup.

Comment

I had this situation when I transferred my Geno 2.0 into FTDNA. I wrote to the FTDNA Help Desk (not National Geographic). This is the reply they sent (I've bolded an important part):
                    Thank you for contacting the Genographic Project. The only information that would have been transferred would be found under the mtDNA>Haplogroup Origins section of your FTDNA profile. Since you do not have any mtDNA matches with our database, you do not have any information at this time. The data-set for mtDNA is not compatible with FTDNA. The mtDNA portion of the Geno 2.0 test is run on a chip, whereas FTDNA must individually sequence strands of your mitochondrial DNA. It is possible this information will be transferable in the future.
                    I suppose you could think of this mtDNA situation as one similar to FTDNA's prediction of Y haplogroup based on their STR tests (12, 25, 37, 67, 111). You really need to test SNPs to determine your Y terminal subclade.

Similarly, if National Geographic's Geno 2.0 bases your mtDNA haplogroup on only some parts of the mtDNA that the chip can test, then they may not have the full story on your haplogroup. It would be a prediction, even if it usually is right or very close.

To verify your mtDNA haplogroup, you would need the Full mt Sequence test at FTDNA. I ended up doing the FMS, and ended up with exactly the same haplogroup as Geno 2.0 gave me, but not everyone will have that result.

Comment

Are you sure that FTDNA's mtDNA haplotree even recognizes M66b yet? If FTDNA's tree does not yet have that branch, your account will not show it either.

Comment

mt-DNA not transferred from Geno 2 to FTDNA

It seems rather pointless and a duplication of cost to have to repeat the analysis that has already been done by FTDNA for Geno 2, by ordering a full sequence mtDNA test through FTDNA just to get the haplogroup details established already by Geno 2 showing up in FTDNA.

It makes transfer of Geno 2 data pointless for females unless they had not been tested at all before.

Surely if FTDNA was customer and service focused they would develop a program to convert the mt-DNA data or transfer the Geno 2 data to a new profile so it can be displayed, instead of trying to merge it with existing data - I am sure if it was to their advantage it would be done. Now not being helpful in this respect makes it appear as if they trying to encourage duplication of testing at financial advantage to themselves - not a good look IMO.

I will really appreciate if they work on finding a way to transfer Geno 2 mt-DNA data to FTDNA customer's profiles.

Comment

It seems rather pointless and a duplication of cost to have to repeat the analysis that has already been done by FTDNA for Geno 2, by ordering a full sequence mtDNA test through FTDNA just to get the haplogroup details established already by Geno 2 showing up in FTDNA.

It makes transfer of Geno 2 data pointless for females unless they had not been tested at all before.

Surely if FTDNA was customer and service focused they would develop a program to convert the mt-DNA data or transfer the Geno 2 data to a new profile so it can be displayed, instead of trying to merge it with existing data - I am sure if it was to their advantage it would be done. Now not being helpful in this respect makes it appear as if they trying to encourage duplication of testing at financial advantage to themselves - not a good look IMO.

I will really appreciate if they work on finding a way to transfer Geno 2 mt-DNA data to FTDNA customer's profiles.
                          Exactly how much of mtDNA is tested by Geno 2?

Complete HVR1 & HVR2 and some haplogroup defining SNPs?

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                            Exactly how much of mtDNA is tested by Geno 2?

Complete HVR1 & HVR2 and some haplogroup defining SNPs?

W. (Mr.)
                            http://www.isogg.org/wiki/MtDNA_test...mparison_chart

Comment

Thank you Armando, something clouded my mind.

@dnaexplorer, if you take a look at the table Armando pointed to, you will realize that Geno 2 testing does not even cover the areas HVR1 & HVR2 used by FTDNA to show the basic matches.

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Working...
                              X