No announcement yet.

Genographic transfers - what do I get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genographic transfers - what do I get?

A relative requested I look into transferring his NGS/Geno results to FTDNA. He does not currently have an FTDNA account of any kind.

After looking at the various help screens etc., and a number of forum threads here I am confused. What exactly will he gain by making this transfer? As near as I can tell, he ends up with nothing more than an account on the ftdna website. It seems that he then still has to upgrade in some fashion to get anything new.

Can someone offer me some specifics? Have I understood it correctly?

Thanks!

The only other thing he gets is to see his positive and negative SNPs in the haplotree page and in the SNP page of any FTDNA project that he joins and has the SNP page enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Haggis View Post
      It seems that he then still has to upgrade in some fashion to get anything new.
      That is the primary advantage: He can order additional tests on his existing DNA samples. (If FTDNA's web site charges you a shipping fee, you'll have to contact their staff to refund that bogus charge.)

Comment

Which Geno Test

A relative requested I look into transferring his NGS/Geno results to FTDNA. He does not currently have an FTDNA account of any kind.

Can someone offer me some specifics? Have I understood it correctly?

Thanks!
        There is no way to provide the correct answer to your question without knowing which Geno test he ordered. Was it Geno 1.0 or Geno 2.0?

Comment

Which test did he get?

My relative got the geno 2.0.

Seems to me that if nothing new (in the way of matching and analysis) is provided by the transfer, there isn't much reason to do it other than to save the $10 S&H fee for a new kit and maybe save a couple weeks in the process of another test.

Thank you for helping me out here!

Comment

My relative got the geno 2.0.
            That's what I had assumed. It is extremely rare for a person to ask about a Geno 1.0 transfer after all of these years.

Comment

Jim - just a "BTW" here

Thought I'd mention that I read your response while listening to the video of your presentation from the August conference here in DC. Definitely among the more educational talks - thanks for that!

Comment

Thought I'd mention that I read your response while listening to the video of your presentation from the August conference here in DC. Definitely among the more educational talks - thanks for that!
                I think you are talking about Jim Bartlett from Virginia and not Jim Barrett.

Comment

what's in a name?

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                  I think you are talking about Jim Bartlett from Virginia and not Jim Barrett.
                  Whoops . . .

where's the delete key on this forum?

Comment

Working...
                  X