• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anksil
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2014

Timeframe for Geno 2.0 these days?

Hi,

my Geno 2.0 kit was acknowledged as received on Oct 31, and progress was rather good as it entered QC on Fri Nov 21, but it is still sitting there although the Geno 2.0 site says I should have my results "very soon". I was wondering if anyone could give an example of about how long this step typically takes these days?

I found old threads with rather depressing descriptions of huge delays, but I'm given to understand it usually goes much smoother lately?

I know it's Thanksgiving in the US, so any manual process will likely not take place today or tomorrow. I don't begrudge the staff their well-deserved holiday.

Status emails seem to always come in around Fridays, or at least they have for me so far, so maybe I'll get some kind of update tomorrow.
  • anksil
    FTDNA Customer
    • Sep 2014

Yep, there it is: "We are still processing your DNA sample". Oh well, patience...

Comment

• KATM
      mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46377
      • Nov 2012

Hi anskil,

I don't know if my experience is still relevant, as I did the Geno 2.0 test 2 years ago, when it was very new.

Back then it was at least a 6 to 8 week wait. I didn't specifically note when my results were 100% completed, unfortunately, although the sequence went like this:
      • 25 Oct 2012 - Stage 1: Arrived at lab (20% complete); 6-8 wk. predicted processing time shown
      • 8 Nov 2012 - Stage 2: DNA Isolation complete (40% complete)
      • 11 Nov 2012 - Stage 3: DNA Analysis complete (60%); this stage was shown as completed earlier than predicted, and may not have been accurate; the prediction was 6-10 days, so should have finished this stage about 14-18 Nov.
      • 29 Nov 2012 - Stage 4: 80% complete

From other computer file creation dates I know I had my results at least by 12 Dec 2012, so it was no longer than 7 weeks, and within their predicted time.

It was hard to wait, so yes, have patience. If results are still taking 6-8 weeks as they did two years ago, you may receive yours before the new year!

Comment

• anksil
        FTDNA Customer
        • Sep 2014

Thanks, it's nice to have some idea.

I've got kits being processed and waiting to be sent to the lab, respectively, with two other companies... so at least I can wait in parallel.

Comment

• Hneel
          FTDNA Customer
          • Jul 2014

Mine took almost 1 month from the moment they received my sample.

23-09-2014 Received
          02-10-2014 Isolated DNA
          16-10-2014 Verifying DNA results
          22-10-2014 Ready to be viewed!

Comment

• anksil
            FTDNA Customer
            • Sep 2014

Thanks, Hneel.

I think this forum ought to adopt the practice of a "waiting, wishing and whining thread" like people are doing at 23andMe. A new thread is posted each month and people compare their progress (or misfortune, where applicable) and the time spent for each step.

Comment

• dna
              FTDNA Customer
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by anksil View Post
              Thanks, Hneel.

I think this forum ought to adopt the practice of a "waiting, wishing and whining thread" like people are doing at 23andMe. A new thread is posted each month and people compare their progress (or misfortune, where applicable) and the time spent for each step.
              Look for threads with Batch in their title in the Grumbles & Gripes sub-forum http://forums.familytreedna.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237

W.

Comment

• anksil
                FTDNA Customer
                • Sep 2014

Right, I've seen the Batch threads, but they aren't quite the same. They don't tend to attract very large numbers of posters and there isn't any systematic practice of laying out dates for steps.

The waiting/etc threads are posted each month by a guy who's volunteered for it, and start with a bunch of links to resources the freshly tested might be interested in (Promethease, GEDmatch, etc), and new and old people seem to flock to them to discuss the details of when various steps happened.

I suppose that sort of culture needs to evolve organically. Or I could volunteer to start posting those threads myself.

Comment

• dna
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by anksil View Post
                  Right, I've seen the Batch threads, but they aren't quite the same. They don't tend to attract very large numbers of posters and there isn't any systematic practice of laying out dates for steps.

The waiting/etc threads are posted each month by a guy who's volunteered for it, and start with a bunch of links to resources the freshly tested might be interested in (Promethease, GEDmatch, etc), and new and old people seem to flock to them to discuss the details of when various steps happened.

I suppose that sort of culture needs to evolve organically. Or I could volunteer to start posting those threads myself.
                  Possibly FTDNA customers are very patient

And they know that the results are going to be available when they are ready

W.

Comment

• anksil
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Sep 2014

Not bad. Got my results today. Surprised at having so much Denisovan.

For posterity:

Kit received: Oct 31
                    Isolated DNA: Nov 7
                    Quality Control: Nov 21
                    Results ready: Dec 12

Comment

• boutrosdu93
                      yussef961
                      • Oct 2012

the results are note always ... acurate

Comment

Working...