No announcement yet.

Etruscan DNA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mainly these two guys: Manlio Farinacci and Andrea Scatolini. The former has recently died after writing several things about the argument (and after going mad in the last period of his life...)

Comment

• Originally posted by F.E.C.
      Mainly these two guys: Manlio Farinacci and Andrea Scatolini. The former has recently died after writing several things about the argument (and after going mad in the last period of his life...)
      Whoa! I guess digging up the bones and monuments of old Celts could drive one over the edge . . .

Maybe you should get in on that Nordic & Celtic Project talked about in the thread of the same name posted by John Raciti (a smart guy, it seems to me) here in this forum, Francesco.

(Sorry for repeating myself, but I added that last sentence to my earlier post too late.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Stevo
        Maybe you should get in on that Nordic & Celtic Project talked about in the thread of the same name posted by John Raciti (a smart guy, it seems to me) here in this forum, Francesco.
        I don't know, that project puzzles me. Don't get me wrong: I've got nothing against John, at all.

The only thing is I can't see any link between "Nordic" and "Celtic" ancestries. Even if (IF) my ancestors were Italian Gauls I wouldn't have any link with Danes, Norses & co.
        Last edited by F.E.C.; 18 May 2006, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I don't know, that project puzzles me. Don't get me wrong: I've got nothing against John, at all.

The only thing is I can't see any link between "Nordic" and "Celtic" ancestries. Even if (IF) my ancestors were Italian Gauls I wouldn't have any link with Danes, Norses & co.
          My guess - and I could be wrong - is that it may be a kind of catch-all project for R1bs, as well as various clades of I and maybe R1a, too.

Not all R1bs were Celts, after all. Some were Germanic tribesmen, as well as any number of other things.

My own feeling is that, while Celts and Germanics may have been predominantly members of this or that y-haplogroup, they were a motley crew (like all of us) and probably included members of all of the y-haplogroups common to Europe.

Comment

• Nordic/Celtic project

Originally posted by F.E.C.

John is a member of the Sicily Project and is R1b. He has put up a website on his theories and speculations about his deep ancestry and how it may have arrived in Sicily. The website is at http://www.genoproject.com/, so take a look if you're interested in finding out more.

To be honest with you, I am much more cautious when forming opinions about deep ancestry questions. John, to my mind, may have jumped the gun in making a definitive judgement on his deep ancesty. But you can judge for yourself.

Mike Maddi

Comment

• For me it's finding the 2000,000 possibilities and looking at them all. i might be a Roman one monday...and a Scythian by lunch time.

I am having fun with the (mostly outragous) possibilities of my origin.

...and I think I'm learning something along the way.
              Last edited by M.O'Connor; 18 May 2006, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MMaddi
                To be honest with you, I am much more cautious when forming opinions about deep ancestry questions. John, to my mind, may have jumped the gun in making a definitive judgement on his deep ancesty.
                I totally agree with you.
                On the other hand, I think John has put up one of the few projects (and yours is one of the few, Mike) in which the admin's passion and commitment are evident.
                Last edited by F.E.C.; 18 May 2006, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O'Connor
                  For me it's finding the 2000,000 possibilities and looking at them all. i might be a Roman one monday...and a Scythian by lunch time.
                  Yes, that's amusing (and a curse as well...)

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O'Connor
                    For me it's finding the 2000,000 possibilities and looking at them all. i might be a Roman one monday...and a Scythian by lunch time.

I am having fun with the (mostly outragous) possibilities of my origin.

...and I think I'm learning something along the way.
                    Yes, that's amusing (and a curse as well...)
                    It's a curse I would like to share!

Now, if my results come in on time (by tomorrow), then I can join in the wild speculation.

And believe me, I can speculate as wildly as anyone!

Comment

Now, if my results come in on time (by tomorrow), then I can join in the wild speculation.

And believe me, I can speculate as wildly as anyone!
                      Looking forward to it...

Comment

• Well, we're cousins, Francesco!

Looking forward to it...
                        I'm R1b1, brother.

Was my ancestor a Roman soldier, a Celt, a Germanic barbarian . . . a village idiot? (Probably the last one.)

Comment

• Originally posted by cacio
                          F.E.C:
                          I don't really know much about haplogroup H (I am U1a). As far as I know, most H subgroups are found throughout the whole of Europe, so I'm not sure which additional information regarding, say, geographical ancestry these subgroups tell. I know that H1 and H3 are highest in Northern Spain/SW France and then decrease going NW, which has been interpreted as a sign of a post-glacial colonization of Northern Europe from Cantabrian refugia. But that's the only example I know. Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge about h-mtdna will step in.

As for the test, just send an email to FTDNA (with whom I believe you tested) asking them for H subgroup refinement test. A friend of mine did it, I believe it costs around $100 or so.
                          cacio

Cacio, even though you did not reply to me specifically, ( I asked you a question a few pages back...) I think you answered my question in regard to H haplogroup. I am just going to have to do another test to get more specific information. Has anyone seen in the news that Christopher Columbus' remains were found....

Fri May 19, 9:48 PM

MADRID, Spain - Scientists said Friday they have confirmed that at least some of Christopher Columbus' remains were buried inside a Spanish cathedral, a discovery that could help end a century-old debate over the explorer's final resting place.

DNA samples from 500-year-old bone slivers could contradict the Dominican Republic's competing claim that the explorer was laid to rest in the New World, said Marcial Castro, a Seville-area historian and high school teacher who devised the study that began in 2002.

However, some of Columbus' remains also could have been buried in the Dominican Republic, he said.

Comment

I'm R1b1, brother.

Was my ancestor a Roman soldier, a Celt, a Germanic barbarian . . . a village idiot? (Probably the last one.)

Has Mike said that yours looks like a Frisian cluster haplotype?
                            Wow...Frisian R1bs are often S21+, then we could be even more recently related then you could think...
                            Our Germanic village idiot grampa would be proud of us!

Comment

Has Mike said that yours looks like a Frisian cluster haplotype?
                              Wow...Frisian R1bs are often S21+, then we could be even more recently related then you could think...
                              Our Germanic village idiot grampa would be proud of us!

Yeah, that's what Mike said. I want to check that out myself, but I haven't done it yet.

I'm not sure exactly what that Frisian thing means. I know who the Frisians were and are; I'm just not sure I know what it means for me.

I know we're all a big mixed bag of things.

It's great to be related to you, cousin Francesco!

Comment

• some more news on the Etruscan DNA thing...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-aeu052506.php

Comment

Working...
                                X