2.0 vs. Original Genographic Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.0 vs. Original Genographic Results

I had my son tested under the original Genographic test, and then, later, myself under Geno 2.0. His test puts him in Haplogroup R-M269, and mine puts me in R-M222. Why the discrepancy?

Originally posted by wcrisler View Post
    I had my son tested under the original Genographic test, and then, later, myself under Geno 2.0. His test puts him in Haplogroup R-M269, and mine puts me in R-M222. Why the discrepancy?
    Original Genographic project test 12 microsatellite markers (Y-STR) and haplogroup-defining SNPs. Genographic Project 2.0 test almost 12000 Y-SNPs.

So, Geno phase 1 didn't test many SNPs, just the SNP that defining the haplogroup, that's why your son get R-M269 instead of R-M222. R-M269 is upstream of R-M222. You can order R-M222 for your son in FTDNA if you want to make sure.
    Last edited by Parameswara; 26th August 2014, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Ok, and thanks for your helpful response. I thought it might be related to the difference in the tests. How do I order the RM222 test you mentioned? Should I just get him retested under Geno 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by wcrisler View Post
        Ok, and thanks for your helpful response. I thought it might be related to the difference in the tests. How do I order the RM222 test you mentioned? Should I just get him retested under Geno 2.0?
        You can log in to the account then go to https://my.familytreedna.com/y-dna-haplotree/ the use the search field on the right and type M222 then click ADD then then Order Selected SNPs.

It really isn't necessary though. Your biological son will have the same SNP. The money would be better spent on other tests such as subtending SNP markers.

M222 is under L21. You should join yourself and your son to the L21 project https://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21/
        and contact the admin there to see what should be tested under M222 or if you should just be under the M222 project.

Comment

Thanks, again. One day I will understand all this!

Comment

Working...
          X