What does a transfer really get me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a transfer really get me?

It is a bit distressing to read how confusing the whole 'transfer of results' seems to be. I am glad to see that some posters have had some issues resolved. But I am very confused.

I have transferred my results from Geno 2.0. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what I should expect to see on my FTDNA site, or what exactly is worth upgrading. I understand that the Geno 2.0 tests are less complete for the 'autosomal', but I have no idea what to expect to see for my mtDNA.

Is there a simple table showing "what you will get if you do a transfer from provider A or B or C..." and what you will get if you order an upgrade?

My Haplogoup for mtDNA is H48. There is no project for H48. Should I expect to get more information on this site as it still says something about 'once your results come in'... Which results? The results that I would get if I ordered more tests? Or the results that I will see once the transfer from Geno 2.0 is finished? (It has been over a week since I did the transfer - I am assuming that it takes awhile to do whatever it takes to get information on to the website...so I was waiting...but maybe I am supposed to order more tests?? )

As well....
    I am waiting for the results of the Geno2 testing for my father. I had chosen the Geno2 test because it was a straightforward statement of what I would get for my money and I liked the idea of contributing to some of their projects. Once I get them I was going to transfer them here to join one of the Surname projects. But will I need more tests...

So here are my questions...

Do I need to order more tests to get the FamilyFinder/MyOrigins information (Autosomal tests), or do I get that with the transfer?

If I do need to order the tests that give me the FamilyFinder/MyOrigins information on this site, do I get an ability to download the raw data?

Do I need more tests on my mtDNA to see anything more than H48?

Will I need to buy a specific Y package for my father's Geno2 results to be able to join a Surname project?

thanks for any information...
    sign me confused..

If you have already transferred your Geno 2.0 results and you don't have a myOrigins link then you will have to order the Family Finder test. That will also give you a list of autosomal matches.

Yes, you will get an autosomal and x-chromosome file you can download from FTDNA if you get the Family Finder test. Once gedmatch is back up then you will be able to upload the files there.

If you order an mtDNA test you will get a short list of mtDNA matches. I'm not sure which test is more up to date now for mtDNA as far as the haplogroup information. It will be hard to prove a common ancestor with your mtDNA matches.

You won't have to order a Y-DNA package for your father for him to be part of a surname project but only having the terminal SNP won't be very helpful and his results would only show on an SNP page and not on an STR page. You should at least get a Y-DNA37 test since the Y-DNA12 tests too few markers to be very helpful a majority of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaLG View Post
      I have transferred my results from Geno 2.0. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what I should expect to see on my FTDNA site, or what exactly is worth upgrading. I understand that the Geno 2.0 tests are less complete for the 'autosomal', but I have no idea what to expect to see for my mtDNA.

So here are my questions...

Do I need to order more tests to get the FamilyFinder/MyOrigins information (Autosomal tests), or do I get that with the transfer?
      As you noted above, your Geno 2.0 autosomal results are not complete, compared to Family Finder testing. You have several hundred thousand less autosomal SNPs tested than Family Finder tests. This means that your Geno 2.0 autosomal results are incompatible with the Family Finder database and can't be used for matching purposes.

Also, the ethnic/geographic admixture percentages from Geno 2.0 relate to the last several thousand years of migrations. The myOrigins percentages relate to at most the last 2,000 years and even more the last several hundred years.

Family Finder is a separate test from Geno 2.0 and is offered by FTDNA, not the Genographic Project. If you want the ability to find cousins in the Family Finder database and get more recent admixture percentages, you'll have to log into your FTDNA account and order Family Finder. The good news is that FTDNA has access to your original DNA sample from the Geno 2.0 test, so you won't have to provide a new sample.

If I do need to order the tests that give me the FamilyFinder/MyOrigins information on this site, do I get an ability to download the raw data?
      Yes, you can download your raw data, both the autosomal raw data and the x chromosome raw data, which come in separate files. That allows you to upload your raw data to www.gedmatch.com, a free website. This website includes people who've uploaded their raw data from the autosomal tests at FTDNA, 23andMe and Ancestry.com. You'll be able to find matches in the gedmatch database from the other two companies. And gedmatch also has four different admixture calculators developed by genetic genealogy bloggers which can give you a more fine-tuned picture of your admixture. All this is free.

Do I need more tests on my mtDNA to see anything more than H48?
      As with the autosomal results from Geno, the mtDNA results are not complete. A full sequence of mtDNA involves 16,000+ locations. Geno tests only 3,352 locations. That's enough to give you a solid haplogroup/subclade assignment. But it's not enough to be compatible with FTDNA's mtDNA database for matching purposes.

You can also order FTDNA's full mtDNA sequence from your account. This will test all the locations and possibly find new mutations that may in the future create a new subclade, if scientists find others who match your new mutation(s). Also, the full sequence allows you to find matches in FTDNA's mtDNA database.

Will I need to buy a specific Y package for my father's Geno2 results to be able to join a Surname project?
      Geno only tests yDNA SNPs. I think that surname projects would ask that your father also have STRs tested. SNPs relate to deep ancestry and tell men what broad category of men they're related to. STRs relate to more recent ancestry, the last several hundred years, and can be used to estimate how recently two men share a common paternal line ancestor.

My guess is that, since a surname project is usually set up to find more recent paternal line cousins, the project administrator would want all members to have the minimum of 12 STR markers tested, if not the higher level of 37 or more markers. However, haplogroup projects are set up to research the deep ancestry involved in haplogroups and subclades, so your father may be able to join a haplogroup project without testing STRs. However, as a co-administrator of the R1b-U106 Haplogroup Project, I can tell you that we encourage new members with only Geno results to also order STR testing, although we do accept members with only Geno results.

You can find more useful information about Geno 2.0 at http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Genographic_Project#mtDNA which is ISOGG's page on the test.

Comment

It is a bit distressing to read how confusing the whole 'transfer of results' seems to be. I am glad to see that some posters have had some issues resolved. But I am very confused.

sign me confused..
        Which tests, if any, did you have with FTDNA before you transfered your Geno 2.0 results?

Comment

Thanks for all of the great answers!!

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          Which tests, if any, did you have with FTDNA before you transfered your Geno 2.0 results?

I have not yet had any tests performed specifically through the packages offered by FTDNA.

I was not sure what I was going to really use the tests to do and I found the various combinations of packages from FTDNA a bit overwhelming. I mostly decided to have the DNA testing done in the first place as a gift for my father. He has ben searching some of his ancestry but there is a question of whether he really is who he thinks he is (Surname wise). I decided to test myself out of curiosity. That is why I started with the Geno2 project.

It was once I got my own results that I became a bit more fascinated by all the different tests that one can now do with the raw data files. Ive tried out the DIYDodecad and have read about GED match. So I might go ahead and order the appropriate FTDNA tests for myself.

My mother's family were in North America for the last 300 years, and there a number of distant relations that have all contributed to the research, and have posted various family trees on various sites and written books etc. So researching my mtDNA was just a bit of additional info mostly for my Aunt.

As for my father's Y tests, if he is something other than an R1b-something, then it will give him quite a shock.... So I will wait to see what the Geno2 says. If he is an R1b, then I will order more tests.

cheers

Comment

I have no idea what a woman would see after a Geno 2.0 test was transfered to FTDNA.

I think your best test would be Family Finder. It looks at all of you line and will find matches with common ancestor back 4 or 5 generations. You should be able to add Family Finder to your existing kit without having to send in a new sample.

For you dad to gain information on his paternal line (father's, father's, father's ---- father's line) he should order a Y-DNA test. I would suggest at least the y-DNA37 kit.

If his Y-DNA matches have also ordered the Family Finder test and the common ancestor isn't too far back you might see them in your Family Finder matches.
            Last edited by Jim Barrett; 20th July 2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I transferred my old Geno test (pre Geno 2.0) to FTDNA last weekend. When the test results were transferred my mtDNA haplogroup was added to my FTDNA account and I then saw haplogroup matches from the most basic (T2) to those who took further tests to refine the subclade. I don't know my subclade yet so that isn't helpful to me. A bunch of basic information on human migration, haplogroups, and haplogroup T was added to my account as well.

I upgraded to a FF test for myself. It was batched within 3 business days and now I get to sit and wait. No new test kit was needed. We'll transfer my dad's results from Geno 2.0 in the future when there is a sale on something we're interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by andreastill.gen View Post
                No new test kit was needed. We'll transfer my dad's results from Geno 2.0 in the future when there is a sale on something we're interested in.
                Why not transfer now so his kit will be ready for upgrades when the sale is announced. Some sales are very short lived.

Comment

Working...
                X