• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andreastill.gen
    mtDNA T2b
    • Jun 2014

What can I do with Geno 2.0 results?

One of the threads I read here today spurred me to take a look at my dad's Geno 2.0 results. (I tested too but using the old version of the test and only mtDNA.) I was a bit surprised to see 4 separate files of raw data including autosomal DNA because I don't remember seeing that the first time I downloaded the data.

My question is other than transferring his results to FTDNA what can I do with the data files I downloaded? I have attempted to figure out how to use the data at some of the online tool sites mentioned on these boards but when I look for instructions for Geno 2.0 results I can't find anything. The usual suspects (FTDNA, 23andme, and Ancestry) are the ones mentioned. Do I need to do something with the file format before I can use these other online tools?

All future testing in my family will be at FTDNA so I hope not to run into this issue with the 3 people who have agreed to test in the past couple weeks.
  • Parameswara
    FTDNA Customer
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by andreastill.gen View Post
    One of the threads I read here today spurred me to take a look at my dad's Geno 2.0 results. (I tested too but using the old version of the test and only mtDNA.) I was a bit surprised to see 4 separate files of raw data including autosomal DNA because I don't remember seeing that the first time I downloaded the data.

My question is other than transferring his results to FTDNA what can I do with the data files I downloaded? I have attempted to figure out how to use the data at some of the online tool sites mentioned on these boards but when I look for instructions for Geno 2.0 results I can't find anything. The usual suspects (FTDNA, 23andme, and Ancestry) are the ones mentioned. Do I need to do something with the file format before I can use these other online tools?

All future testing in my family will be at FTDNA so I hope not to run into this issue with the 3 people who have agreed to test in the past couple weeks.

You can read this one :

Comment

• Stephen Parrish
      FTDNA Customer
      • May 2011

Andrea -

You do not need to do anything with the file format; what you downloaded are four .csv files that spreadsheet software can open.

Stephen

Comment

• andreastill.gen
        mtDNA T2b
        • Jun 2014

Thanks for your quick replies. I'll check out the link. If I've got more questions I'll be back.

Comment

• andreastill.gen
          mtDNA T2b
          • Jun 2014

Okay, so I've taken a look at some of the information available through the link but I'm still confused. I swear I'm not this dense in real life.

Every admixture tool or Y-haplogroup subclade predictor I see requires me to, at the very least, transfer my dad's results to FTDNA first before I can get a usable format I can submit to one of these tools. GEDmatch requires FTDNA, 23andme, or ancestry formats. No Geno 2.0. I guess that may have something to do with a totally different type of testing done in the lab through Geno 2.0?

Is my only option to transfer my dad's test to FTDNA now? Or is there something out there I haven't found yet that would help?

Comment

• Armando
            FTDNA Customer
            • Jun 2009

Okay, so I've taken a look at some of the information available through the link but I'm still confused. I swear I'm not this dense in real life.

Every admixture tool or Y-haplogroup subclade predictor I see requires me to, at the very least, transfer my dad's results to FTDNA first before I can get a usable format I can submit to one of these tools. GEDmatch requires FTDNA, 23andme, or ancestry formats. No Geno 2.0. I guess that may have something to do with a totally different type of testing done in the lab through Geno 2.0?

Is my only option to transfer my dad's test to FTDNA now? Or is there something out there I haven't found yet that would help?
            For the autosomal data:

In order to use Gedmatch you have to transfer the Geno 2.0 kit to FTDNA then order the Family Finder test at the current price Family Finder price or you can wait for another sale. They will then give you a format you can use to upload to Gedmatch.

You can use Globe13 with Geno 2.0 files. There is a wrapper http://www.y-str.org/2013/07/diy-dod...1-wrapper.html

Or you can use the regular program that would allow you to use Oracle. http://dodecad.blogspot.com.au/2011/...ecad-v-21.html

For the Y-DNA data:

You can look up individual SNP markers in the ychromo.csv file and then look up their mutations, to see if they are positive, at http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_YDNA_SNP_Index.html

It's much easier to do the transfer to FTDNA then copy and paste the results to http://ytree.morleydna.com/ or to the Chrome ISOGG AddOn http://blog.kittycooper.com/2014/04/...-dna-analysis/

What is your father's terminal SNP according to Geno 2.0 ?

Comment

• andreastill.gen
              mtDNA T2b
              • Jun 2014

Thank you, that is very helpful. I'll have to find the time to squeeze this in between looking at reels of microfilmed parish records. lol

My dad was placed in E-L241 by Geno 2.0. That was a big surprise to us knowing where his direct male line comes from. But given this is ancient DNA who knows what happened in the intervening 'years'. His mtDNA results were more run of the mill and expected - H11.

Comment

• Armando
                FTDNA Customer
                • Jun 2009

E-L241 descends from E-V13 which was found in the 7,000 year old remains of a person found in funeral cave in Avellana, Cataluña, España. So we know that E-V13 has been in western Europe for at least 7,000 years.

I have not read the paper, so I can't comment in detail. Two quick comments: The discovery of G2a is added to the finds from Treilles , Dere...

Comment

• andreastill.gen
                  mtDNA T2b
                  • Jun 2014

That's what I meant by stating 'years'.

My dad's direct paternal line traces to the Danzig/Gdansk area and the family was one of many of the German families recruited to move to the Black Sea area. We have no idea where the family was a generation before the visa to travel to Russia was issued in 1819. It was entirely possible that the family started out further west then moved east.

However, given my dad's test results I suspect it is more likely the family didn't trek all the way from Germany to settle in what is now Poland and then trek all the way to Canada in 1905. Some of the Black Sea Germans did just that but it is entirely possible this family originated in eastern Europe which would be shocking news to my dad's now deceased aunts! They refused to believe they might have Polish ancestors.

We're on to the next phase of testing with Family Finder. I just have to find enough people on my dad's paternal side to test. I have to convince my dad's 1st cousin who did all the paper trail research to test. We'll see what those results show about more recent ancestors.

Comment

• PNGarrison
                    H4a1a4a | R1-BY3322
                    • Dec 2013

Hg E projects

There is an E-M35 project, and a Jewish E project. Your SNP is downstream of M35. If you join relevant projects (and their discussion groups,) you get the benefit of what all the other folks know. Don't know about the E projects, but the U106 project folks are very helpful and knowledgable.

Comment

• lgmayka
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Mar 2006

My dad was placed in E-L241 by Geno 2.0.
                      Here is a list of men confirmed or predicted to be E-L241.

Comment

Working...
                      X