Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie questions

Hello

I have received the results of the Genographic Project. What do the 2 rows of 12 numbers mean? Also what is the next step I can take to fine tune these results, find out more, etc?

Thanks

Hap, since you refer to two rows of twelve numbers I'll assume you had the Y-DNA test. Have you checked with Family Tree DNA to see if there is a surname or regional project you might be interested in. If so I suggest you join it. Have you uploaded your results to Ysearch, the FTDNA data base? If not I suggest you do so: http://www.ysearch.org/ . You can check for matches with others on Ysearch.

One set of numbers are the names for the markers (DYS #'s), for the first 12 markers these will have values between 380 and 420, except for one which may be 19 which is also known as 394. The other set of numbers are called Alleles and are your values for the markers. By comparing these values to the values of others you may be able to found an indication of a common ancestor. Depending on how common your Haplotype (values of your markers) is you will probably need to have additional markers tested.

Comment

Hi Jim

thanks for the info and sorry for taking so long to acknowledge and reply. Yes it was the Y-DNA test. The Genographic Project has assigned a Haplogroup to me, and I consented to let Family Tree DNA use the data, so how come Family Tree are only predicting not confirming my haplogroup? Also why is my value from Genographic for the DYS marker 389-2 given as 17 while in Family Tree it is 30. When I went to a site which predicts your haplogroup based on the allelles you submit, I could not enter my value for the 389-2 marker since it is 17 and there are values only from 24 to 35. This happened on Ysearch a well. What does my value of 17 mean? Can it be a mistake?

As a general question, how common are mistakes in this kind of testing?

Thanks
      Hap

Comment

Hi all

I have many questions so please bear with me

If my sister submits her DNA tests (mtDNA test) what extra info can we uncover?

Upon reading more I have found out about why the 389-2 marker is different. Seems it is a common cause of confusion.

Comment

The Haplogroup predictor can be found at https://home.comcast.net/~whitathey/predictorinstr.htm

Comment

The reason your results are just suggestive is that you took an STR test rather than a SNP test, standard practise for the genographic project. Ftdna and other commercial programs offer the definitive SNP tests. As for testing your sister, the Mtdna results should be the same for you or any sibling.

Comment

Thanks Josh W.

If I am understanding correctly, my sister will still have the same patrilineal Haplogroup, though right?

Can a haplogroup change in between STR and SNP tests? What I mean is if I was assigned a certain haplogroup by the Genographic Project just by utilising statistics, can the haplogroup change if I do the SNP test?

Comment

Your sister should be a descendant of the same paternal line as you (presuming the same father). However she only can be tested on her maternal line, i.e. a Mtdna test, not on her paternal line. In other words, she needs your results to establish her paternal line whereas you can rely on your own Mtdna results to determine your maternal line.

Male haplogroups are defined by SNP results. STR results are correlated with SNP results but the correlation is not perfect. This forum contains many stories where they did not match. It is just a matter of how certain you wish to be.(I have not had a SNP test because circumstantial information suggests that it was not needed in my case.) The unique value of STRs is for tracing recent ancestry rather than haplogroup identification. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by hap
                  Also why is my value from Genographic for the DYS marker 389-2 given as 17 while in Family Tree it is 30. When I went to a site which predicts your haplogroup based on the allelles you submit, I could not enter my value for the 389-2 marker since it is 17 and there are values only from 24 to 35. This happened on Ysearch a well. What does my value of 17 mean? Can it be a mistake? As a general question, how common are mistakes in this kind of testing? Hap
                  389-2 is reported two different ways. I'll bet your 389-1 is 13. FTDNA adds the two values together to report your 389-2 (13 + 17 = 30). Ysearch is a FTDNA database so enter 30, not 17.

Comment

Originally posted by josh w.
                    Male haplogroups are defined by SNP results. STR results are correlated with SNP results but the correlation is not perfect. This forum contains many stories where they did not match. It is just a matter of how certain you wish to be.(I have not had a SNP test because circumstantial information suggests that it was not needed in my case.) The unique value of STRs is for tracing recent ancestry rather than haplogroup identification. Good luck in your search.
                    If STRs are for tracing recent ancestry why do Genographic say "think in thousands or even tens of thousands of years". I feel a bit let down. Anyway if I decide to do the SNP test with FamilyTree, I would like to carry out the test anew swabs and all, without using the values obtained by Genographic Project.

Comment

I am keeping all these questions in one thread so that anyone who is green like me can follow my reasoning and steps without having to search all over the forum or net. I really appreciate the people who reply.

How can I get the 25 or 37 marker results? Is it done automatically by Genographic Project?

About the predictor I posted above, it easy to understand that the result between 50 and 100 is the correct haplogroup. The instructions say so. What I would like to know is this. Can one assume that the second biggest value between 20 and 50 is the nearest related haplogroup for that bloodline, and so on down the other values, or it does not work that way?

If it does, one can get a good idea how the mixing between haplogroups in that particular bloodline was carried out, even though the results are still basic and vague.

Also can you get two haplogroups between 50 to 100?

Comment

Originally posted by hap
                        If STRs are for tracing recent ancestry why do Genographic say "think in thousands or even tens of thousands of years". I feel a bit let down. Anyway if I decide to do the SNP test with FamilyTree, I would like to carry out the test anew swabs and all, without using the values obtained by Genographic Project.
                        Hello hap,
                        If you have transferred your data from the Genographic Project to Family Tree DNA, it would be useless to send a new DNA sample, because both the GP and FT DNA use the same lab facilities (University of Arizona), and your DNA sample is kept in this lab. Through your Family Tree DNA personal page, you may order "the 12 to 25 refine", so you'll have your DYS values for 25 markers, and the haplogroup predictor will certainly give you a more accurate prediction. In addition, if you previously join a project (surname project, for instance), it will be less expensive. I apologize for my poor English.

Roberto

Comment

Originally posted by hap
                          About the predictor I posted above, it easy to understand that the result between 50 and 100 is the correct haplogroup. The instructions say so. What I would like to know is this. Can one assume that the second biggest value between 20 and 50 is the nearest related haplogroup for that bloodline, and so on down the other values, or it does not work that way?
                          Also can you get two haplogroups between 50 to 100?
                          I tried the predictor and both R1B and Q(!) were between 50 and 100.

R1B was the highest at 74. The Genographic Project put me in M343.

I also had R1A and J2 between 20 and 50.

If I had to predict before the test, I would have guessed either R1B or J2 and possibly R1A - the high Q prediction totally baffles me.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the input. From what I've read about Q, it is being considered as a fully fledged Norse line. So considering that you have sizeable R1a traces, it should not be too surprising. As I understand it native American Indians have high Q levels because of Norse migration to North America through Siberia thousands of years ago or more recently during the Viking voyages. Is this the right reasoning or have I got it wrong?

As for myself, my Q level after the 12 markers are input into the predictor is 17. Is this as simple as saying that I have a good chunk of Q ancestry or is 17 too low?

Comment

Any thoughts on this please?

Also, the haplogroup predictor I posted previously, what do the parts indicated by the letters show exactly? I mean I can understand the part which goes "Values above 50, etc, etc, etc" but would like a more in depth explanation? Please see screenshot below.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by hap; 18th January 2006, 10:13 AM. Reason: Forgot screenshot

Comment

Working...
                              X