Geno 2.0 still in Beta?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geno 2.0 still in Beta?

Geno 2.0 has been in Beta since it's inception in Dec. 2012.
    (does "beta" mean abandoned?;')

It is now 2014 and dust is starting to collect.

Anyone know when the Geno 2.0 website will be updated?

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
    Geno 2.0 has been in Beta since it's inception in Dec. 2012.
    (does "beta" mean abandoned?;')

It is now 2014 and dust is starting to collect.

Anyone know when the Geno 2.0 website will be updated?
    Hi,

I know that there are updates planned. I do not have the privilege of saying more than that. :-X

Comment

The Genographic website doesn't show beta anymore but since Monday it is almost completely broken.

Comment

So it goes from beta to dead. It does not give me much faith in the quality of the upcoming Geno3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post
          The Genographic website doesn't show beta anymore but since Monday it is almost completely broken.
          What's not working for you?

The Genographic website was updated earlier this week. I'm able to log into my brother's account and it's working well for me.

Elise

Comment

New Geno 2 site seems to be working o.k., but I couldn't find the Our Story thing in the new version. Maybe yet to be reworked. I know that before, some of the people who had stories under my terminal SNP didn't really belong there. They had terminal SNPs that were not on the same line as mine. I hope they will get that sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by PNGarrison View Post
              New Geno 2 site seems to be working o.k., but I couldn't find the Our Story thing in the new version.
              It's in the sidebar on the right side of the page. These are the sections on the right:

Share Your Journey With Friends
              Print Your Results
              Family Tree DNA Analysis
              Our Story
              FAQs
              Breaking the Code

Elise
              Last edited by efgen; 3rd July 2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PNGarrison View Post
                New Geno 2 site seems to be working o.k., but I couldn't find the Our Story thing in the new version.
                It's there, but difficult to find. After you log in and click on Check Results, you should see the Dashboard. Near the bottom, on the right, you should see a heading "Our Story" and a hyperlink labeled "Contribute Your Story >". Click on that, and the bottom right of the next page should have a button labeled "Read Stories >".

Comment

It doesn't work when accessing from either Linux or iOS no matter what browser used. Loading takes for ever for available results and the page is misformated for pending results. It works fine when accessing from Windows.

Comment

Former "Expert Options?"

I see they retained the Heatmap section, and it looks the same to me, compared with the previous version of the website.

What I'm not seeing is what used to be the "Profile" tab, in the top menu of old (see attachment, if I've uploaded it correctly). Within that, the section under the "Expert Options" tab said
                    Several features throughout the Genographic Project are labelled "Expert Options" This is detailed information available for users with more advanced understanding of genetic data. Check back regularly as we add more options and features!
                    Adding more options & features never seemed to happen.

That's also where you used to go, in the Profile > Expert Options tab, to download your data. Their FAQ still says that's where it is, so I wonder if a download is indeed still available anywhere in the new website layout. I couldn't seem to find it.

The Transfer Data to Family DNA link, that used to be in the same area, is now featured more prominently in the Dashboard.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's my changes to my previous reply, which I took too long to type. Not sure how to "contact an administrator" to fix the first one, so just adding it here:

I see they retained the Heatmap section ("Explore Your Results" link under "Your Deep Ancestry" in Dashboard), and it looks the same to me, compared with the previous version of the website. And I'm glad they made a printable version of the results, finally.

What I'm not seeing is what used to be the "Profile" tab, in the top menu of old (see attachment, if I've uploaded it correctly). Within that, the section under the "Expert Options" tab said
                      Several features throughout the Genographic Project are labelled "Expert Options" This is detailed information available for users with more advanced understanding of genetic data. Check back regularly as we add more options and features!
                      Adding more options & features never seemed to happen.

That's also where you used to go, in the Profile > Expert Options tab, to download your data. Their FAQ still says that's where it is, but I just finally found it: go to the very top right, and click on the small white icon (a head & shoulders?). There is a link in the resulting drop menu to "My Profile," where you can agree to the terms and then download your file. You can also contribute your results to science in another tab in My Profile. No options as in the old layout for "Account Settings," or the previously not available tabs for "About Me," "About My Family," or "About My Ethnicity."

The "Transfer Data to Family Tree DNA" link, that used to be in the same area, is now featured more prominently in the Dashboard sidebar.

So I guess it covers most of what it had before, just hard to find, as lgmayka said. Seems like some of these site "improvements" actually work against usability.

Comment

The website now works on Linux too.

If you download raw data, you get only one file which isn't very handy if you only want to check Y-SNP data for example.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
                          What I'm not seeing is what used to be the "Profile" tab, in the top menu of old (see attachment, if I've uploaded it correctly).
                          Click the little person icon next to your username at the top right, and you'll get a menu with My Profile as one of the options. Here's also the direct URL to My Profile:

https://genographic.nationalgeograph...ults/myprofile

Expert Options is at the bottom of the My Profile page.

Elise
                          Last edited by efgen; 3rd July 2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

One neat thing about the new website is that if you took both the Y-DNA and mtDNA tests in Geno1.0 (or transferred both of these from FTDNA), you can now link both to your Geno2.0 account -- the option is available at the top of the MyProfile page.

Previously, you could only link one Geno1.0 result to your Geno2.0 account, so it had to be either Y-DNA or mtDNA, not both.

Of course, this only applies to male testers, since women don't have their own Y-DNA results anyway

Elise

Comment

Working...
                            X