Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

User Survey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • User Survey

    When I logged-in to Geno 2.0 this morning, I was asked to take and took a user survey.

    After completing it I had another suggestion for improvement - have Geno accept data transfers from Ancestry, FTDNA and 23&Me. If you think that is a good idea and have the opportunity to take the survey, please suggest that.

    I did suggest they publish the long-awaited Y tree, refine their admixture analysis, oblige users to provide information about the geographic origins of their Y and Mt and make a greater promotional effort to bring-in new users.

  • #2
    I put in a pitch to generate some sort of a printable format for results reporting that can be shared with others away from a computer. I think the programmers got a bit carried away and overlooked something basic.

    Originally posted by tomcat View Post
    When I logged-in to Geno 2.0 this morning, I was asked to take and took a user survey.

    After completing it I had another suggestion for improvement - have Geno accept data transfers from Ancestry, FTDNA and 23&Me. If you think that is a good idea and have the opportunity to take the survey, please suggest that.

    I did suggest they publish the long-awaited Y tree, refine their admixture analysis, oblige users to provide information about the geographic origins of their Y and Mt and make a greater promotional effort to bring-in new users.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rjbailey View Post
      I put in a pitch to generate some sort of a printable format for results reporting that can be shared with others away from a computer. I think the programmers got a bit carried away and overlooked something basic.
      I suggested the same. Seems like a style sheet for print would do the trick. Also put in some of tomcat's suggestions.

      Comment


      • #4
        On some of my Geno pages there is a Share button in the upper right corner some of which have what seems to be a printer icon. I haven't tried any of them.

        Comment


        • #5
          It looks like the printer icon simply does the same thing as the Print... command in your browser, and the Share button generates the same single-sheet infographic as they've had before. Nothing new here.

          Originally posted by tomcat View Post
          On some of my Geno pages there is a Share button in the upper right corner some of which have what seems to be a printer icon. I haven't tried any of them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Geno 2.0

            So I look what Geno 2.0 is and it's a project they want me to pay to see the results although I already donated my FTDNA results to them years ago?

            Seems kind of cheesy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by B52 View Post
              So I look what Geno 2.0 is and it's a project they want me to pay to see the results although I already donated my FTDNA results to them years ago?

              Seems kind of cheesy.
              Absolutely incorrect. You are getting three DNA tests--Y-DNA, mtDNA, and atDNA--in partnership with FT-DNA for $200 US. It is strictly voluntary.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MFWare View Post
                Absolutely incorrect. You are getting three DNA tests--Y-DNA, mtDNA, and atDNA--in partnership with FT-DNA for $200 US. It is strictly voluntary.
                They state that the project began in 2005 with National Geographic and was being run by a Dr Spencer Wells: I definitely signed up in 2005 for that project and it was definitely free when I did so.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by B52 View Post
                  They state that the project began in 2005 with National Geographic and was being run by a Dr Spencer Wells: I definitely signed up in 2005 for that project and it was definitely free when I did so.
                  There's no comparison between the Genographic Project that began in 2005 and the current Geno 2.0 test that the Genographic Project offers.

                  Why would you expect them to provide you with a $200 test for free merely because you somehow were associated with the Genographic Project in 2005? They only tested 12 yDNA STR markers and mtDNA for HVR1 in 2005, the most basic genetic genealogy tests there are. As the previous poster wrote, the Geno 2.0 test provides results for yDNA, mtDNA and autosomal DNA and comprehensive results, especially for yDNA, at that.
                  Last edited by MMaddi; 1 May 2013, 04:27 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by B52 View Post
                    I definitely signed up in 2005 for that project and it was definitely free when I did so.
                    Are you saying that in 2005 you tested through FTDNA, then transferred the results to NatGeo/Geno1.0 for free? Or are you saying that there wasn't an additional charge to add your results to the NG database, after paying NG for your y and/or mt test? I first tested through NG in 2006 and paid $99.00 each for a 12 marker y-test and an HVR1 mt-test. Since I tested through them first, of course there wasn't a charge to add my results to their research project. Neither was there a charge to upload to FTDNA, as it remains today, despite the fact that there's no guarantee that someone who first tests with NG will in fact continue testing with FTDNA. Personally, I think NG should rethink its policy of charging people who want to add their results to the NG research project.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                      Are you saying that in 2005 you tested through FTDNA, then transferred the results to NatGeo/Geno1.0 for free? Or are you saying that there wasn't an additional charge to add your results to the NG database, after paying NG for your y and/or mt test? I first tested through NG in 2006 and paid $99.00 each for a 12 marker y-test and an HVR1 mt-test. Since I tested through them first, of course there wasn't a charge to add my results to their research project. Neither was there a charge to upload to FTDNA, as it remains today, despite the fact that there's no guarantee that someone who first tests with NG will in fact continue testing with FTDNA. Personally, I think NG should rethink its policy of charging people who want to add their results to the NG research project.
                      I am saying: "in 2005 you tested through FTDNA, then transferred the results to NatGeo/Geno1.0 for free"

                      NatGeo wasn't charging for that project then. I assumed that by transferring my results to NatGeo at some point in the future after enough had done likewise there would be a series of those cool NatGeo articles, pictures, and maps I liked so much as a kid...they've went downhill with the founding of the NatGeo channel if you ask me. At one time in the 90s you could buy an archive of all their old magazines in PDF format but I didn't know about it until after they realized their mistake and pulled it off the market.

                      I believe at that time FTDNA only transferred 12 of the 37 markers I had tested. It was just a check box & submit button to transfer results, a bit like Y-Search and mtDNA-Search...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                        Personally, I think NG should rethink its policy of charging people who want to add their results to the NG research project.
                        The $15 charge to transfer Y-DNA12 and HVR1 from FTDNA to Genographic is a contribution to the Genographic Project Legacy Fund

                        https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/legacy-fund/

                        A portion of the proceeds from every Geno1.0 kit sold by NG went to the Legacy Fund, so that's why there's no charge for NG customers to transfer into FTDNA.

                        Elise

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Elise, forgot about that - thanks for clarifying. Still, it's different to order a product for $99 and receive results knowing that a portion of the money and the results were going to a research project, than to pay someone else for the same product and then pay additionally to add the results; the latter is a true charitable gift. Do you happen to know how many people have transferred from FTDNA to NatGeo?
                          Last edited by vinnie; 2 May 2013, 08:21 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by B52 View Post
                            NatGeo wasn't charging for that project then.
                            Interesting. I wonder how many more data sets they would have received had they not started charging, despite any real need to garner additional funding.

                            Originally posted by B52 View Post
                            I assumed that by transferring my results to NatGeo at some point in the future after enough had done likewise there would be a series of those cool NatGeo articles, pictures, and maps I liked so much as a kid...they've went downhill with the founding of the NatGeo channel if you ask me. At one time in the 90s you could buy an archive of all their old magazines in PDF format but I didn't know about it until after they realized their mistake and pulled it off the market.
                            A lot of us had higher expectations vis-a-vis publications, etc...

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X