how- hg I- can have relations with -hg C3-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how- hg I- can have relations with -hg C3-

I have recently received my test result. I have submitted the data this web site. In accordance with Genographic Project, my haplogroup is I or M170 or Eu 7. When I checked the database I have found the following results:

Haplogroup I
    Your SNP Tests P19+

I assume this is I1b-P37 SUBHAPLOGROUP

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches

Two Step Mutations
    C3
    Mongolia

3 Step Mutations

C3
    Mongolia

C3
    Russia
    Native Siberian

C3
    Uzbekistan

C3c
    Russia
    Native Siberian

The results confuse me. How I can have 2 Step and 3 step mutations with a different haplogroup? Or my haplogroup is C3 rather than I1b-P37.

Any comment would be appreciated.

You are probably Haplogroup I. The matches just suggest what your Haplogroup COULD be, based on the STR test they gave you. The SNP test is the test that verifies the Haplogroup. If your SNP test is positive for Haplogroup I, then that is what you probably are.

Comment

This happens quite a bit and is very misleading. I have a relative who is a J2 but has matches at one or two steps who are I and C also. STR matches only suggest what your haplogroup might be based on where STR patterns similar to yours are most commonly found. The SNP test is definitive. If you have had a SNP test that is P19+ then by definition you are haplogroup I, and you just happen to have an STR pattern similar to some people who are C3. Keep in mind also that the database to which you are being compared is not random or representative of the world population. If there are many C3 individuals in the database but few I individuals, for example, the likelihood of matching a C3 goes up.

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

My sample have had a SNP test because STR test did not give any definitive result. I understood that SNP test is a definitive test for haplogroup definition and I should not worry about my results. The problem I have seems to be a rare STR number combination which does not match easily with my group.

Comment

Working...
        X