PF SNPs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PF SNPs

I have a new SNP, PF970. Does anyone know anything about it?

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
    I have a new SNP, PF970. Does anyone know anything about it?
    Just this.

Comment

Looks English.

Comment

I would be very skeptical of this SNP on the Geno 2.0 chip. Do a Google search for "PF970+ Family Tree DNA." The results show that FTDNA customers are showing a PF970+ result on the SNP page of various haplogroup projects.

This SNP has had a positive result in men from haplogroups C, I1, E1b1a8a, R1b-Z343 and R1b-M343. There may be other haplogroups where PF970 is showing up as positive, but I think the point has been made sufficiently by citing 5 different haplogroups that have a positive result.

Either the Geno 2.0 is generating false positive results for PF970 or the SNP is located in an unstable area of the y chromosome and probably isn't reliable to use for updating the haplotree. At least that's how it looks to me.

Comment

According to the Finch it's hg A

PF970 ChrY 17678877 17678877 C to T Approx. hg: A Extracted from genome study of Sardinian samples CTS9952_F CTS9952_R

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
            Looks English.
            Then there is something wrong with your eyesight.

Comment

Then there is something wrong with your eyesight.
              Huh? Take a look at the map. More samples are in England than anywhere else. It's likely the higher density is because more English / Americans (with English ancestry) tested and not a true representation of the frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by emmental View Post
                According to the Finch it's hg A

PF970 ChrY 17678877 17678877 C to T Approx. hg: A Extracted from genome study of Sardinian samples CTS9952_F CTS9952_R
                It looks like a hunter-gatherer SNP.

Comment

Shows up in my brother as well, and he is in an R1a1a haplogroup.

Comment

I've got it too. It showed up in my FTDNA Y-Group page.

Comment

Some say that it is a Sardinian SNP. It looks like our ancestors came through Sardinia on there way to Northern Europe.

Comment

Some say that it is a Sardinian SNP. It looks like our ancestors came through Sardinia on there way to Northern Europe.
                        Have you read my post (#4) and posts 9 and 10 in this thread? We are now up to 7 different haplogroups/subclades in which this SNP is yielding a positive result in Geno 2.0 testing.

As I posted earlier, this is not a reliable SNP, either because of false positives being given by the testing chip or because the SNP is located in an unstable area of the y chromosome, which is very prone to mutation. If these are false positives, then the different variants really don't exist and therefore come from nowhere. If it's an unreliable SNP that's occurred multiple times in different haplogroups, then there's no one geographic origin for the different variants.
                        Last edited by MMaddi; 21st February 2013, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Which part of the dna can we rely on? I dont get this false positive language.Its either one or the other.

Comment

Which part of the dna can we rely on? I dont get this false positive language.Its either one or the other.
                            Just think of the obvious answer to a simple question. Does a SNP that occurs in at least 7 different haplogroups/subclades sound reliable to you?

Comment

It's hg A. Of course it will be found all over the place. Its practically in the roots of the tree.

Comment

Working...
                              X