A bit unhappy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit unhappy...

I was pleased to have moved through QC so quickly (24 hrs.) but I'm beginning to wish Geno had taken their time.

They labeled my Y chromosome H-PF1074. I expected H, but I've never heard of that one before.

Imported into FTDNA I was labeled H-M82, or H1a, the same as my brother's earlier test. That sounds better.

The problem is that PF1074 appears to come from a branch of the A tree. That can't be. This odd designation is based apparently on a positive result for PF1074. So it seems the problem is either a false positive or an IT mixup. Either way, it ain't so good. (Geno has not responded to requests for clarification.)

You have what's known as a "parallel mutation." This means that you're positive for a SNP that's already been found in another haplogroup, in this case A. So, I would not be unhappy about this result. It's a new discovery that you're part of.

This can either be a private SNP, something recent that may be specific to your paternal line, or may be a SNP under H that defines a new subclade.

We have a similar situation in R1b-U106. A member of the R1b-U106 project who is Z326+ uploaded his results to his FTDNA account and we discovered that he is PF740+. This is a SNP already known to be found in haplogroup A. Now we're hoping to see another Z326+ whose Geno 2.0 results show him to also be PF740+. That would indicate that PF740 is a SNP that defines a new subclade of Z326.

Is there someone investigating haplogroup H who is overseeing Geno 2.0 results among men in H? If so, make him aware of your PF1074+ result so that he can be on the lookout for other men in H who also have a PF1074+ result from Geno 2.0.

Comment

Man, just when I thought I was starting to figure things out, I go and mutate.

Thanks for the interesting reply! I'm learning a ton from everything I read. I appreciate your kind response.

-RJB

Comment

Thanks for that explaination MMadi!
        I was confused by the A - PF1074 result and believed it was an error on Geno's part, but if PF1074 is an indication of a new downstream SNP of H1a then that would be very interesting news indeed!

I know one of the latest Romany / Indian DNA studies that was published had stated their Romany samples were in M82 - H1a1, but M82 = H1a, so Geno maybe in fact identifying a deeper downstream SNP of H1a.

RJ so far is the only Romany H1a man to have taken the Geno 2 test.
        There is one man from India in H - M62 who has done the Geno 2 test and he was not tested for PF1074.

I think I will be ordering the Geno 2 test myself one day very soon to see if Geno will find the same PF1074 result for me. RJ's family and my family came to the American Colonies around the same time era so it would prove interesting to see if both of us carry PF1074.

Comment

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I've been checking out your Romany Project, Donald, since my mother's Ancestry Composition on 23andme shows 0.1% South Asian on it. I think this might tie into one of her Scottish ancestors from the Jedburgh area in the 18th century (possibly Young or Scott?).

Comment

yeah happy for you you went through in one day mate, for me it's been one month and a half in qc

Comment

Me too. I've been stuck at 60% but also supposedly in QC since early January. They've had my sample since early December.

Originally posted by boutrosdu93 View Post
              yeah happy for you you went through in one day mate, for me it's been one month and a half in qc

Comment

Just got the 80% notification, so maybe it will be a matter of a day or two.

Originally posted by NYMark View Post
                Me too. I've been stuck at 60% but also supposedly in QC since early January. They've had my sample since early December.

Comment

Originally posted by NYMark View Post
                  Just got the 80% notification, so maybe it will be a matter of a day or two.
                  Same here, I got the e-mail today that I'm at 80%.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                    You have what's known as a "parallel mutation." This means that you're positive for a SNP that's already been found in another haplogroup, in this case A. So, I would not be unhappy about this result. It's a new discovery that you're part of.
                    I took a look at my transferred results on the YHaploGroupH page and found listed 257 markers for which I tested positive. I compared this list against the entire Y tree at ytree.ftdna.com and found that 70 of the 257 markers in my result showed up on that tree. The funny thing? Only 30 of those 70 markers are in my haplogroup or its upstream antecedents: 43 of 80 (including PF1074 I was originally concerned about) are elsewhere on other branches of the tree! So what am I to think of those other results, results I would seemingly have to ignore if I am to use these SNP results to assign my haplotype? This is now making much less sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Locke View Post
                      Thanks for that explaination MMadi!
                      I was confused by the A - PF1074 result and believed it was an error on Geno's part, but if PF1074 is an indication of a new downstream SNP of H1a then that would be very interesting news indeed!

I know one of the latest Romany / Indian DNA studies that was published had stated their Romany samples were in M82 - H1a1, but M82 = H1a, so Geno maybe in fact identifying a deeper downstream SNP of H1a.

RJ so far is the only Romany H1a man to have taken the Geno 2 test.
                      There is one man from India in H - M62 who has done the Geno 2 test and he was not tested for PF1074.

I think I will be ordering the Geno 2 test myself one day very soon to see if Geno will find the same PF1074 result for me. RJ's family and my family came to the American Colonies around the same time era so it would prove interesting to see if both of us carry PF1074.
                      Originally posted by rjbailey View Post
                      I took a look at my transferred results on the YHaploGroupH page and found listed 257 markers for which I tested positive. I compared this list against the entire Y tree at ytree.ftdna.com and found that 70 of the 257 markers in my result showed up on that tree. The funny thing? Only 30 of those 70 markers are in my haplogroup or its upstream antecedents: 43 of 80 (including PF1074 I was originally concerned about) are elsewhere on other branches of the tree! So what am I to think of those other results, results I would seemingly have to ignore if I am to use these SNP results to assign my haplotype? This is now making much less sense.
                      This is an FTDNA problem, or so it seems. When results are transferred, not all SNPs show up. Only some show up in projects, and even fewer in the Haplotree window. I will see if I can do something with my .gz file to find out what my y-snps actually are. I have contacted ftdna, but have no response on this matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X