Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geno says R-Z20 ?

<newbie>This is my first ever query here...</newbie>

I am having FTDNA deep clade run now and thus far it shows me at R-U106.

In the meantime, Geno 2.0 arrived today and reports me as R-Z20, but I don't see the Z-20 (yet) on any haplogroup or SNP reference trees searched thus far.

Is Z20 some special Geno nomenclature or shorthand? A new SNP?

Thanks in advance.

FamilyTree DNA - Europe (Western European) 93.60%, Middle East 6.40%
    AncestryDNA - British Isles 48%, Scandinavian 41%, Southern European 8%, Uncertain 3%

Transfer your Geno to your FTDNA account that contains your Y and see what FTDNA makes of it.

I did Deep Clade and Geno 2.0. My terminal SNP on Geno is different from the terminal SNP on my FTDNA Y page after I transferred.

Try this page:
    http://www.isogg.org/tree/index.html

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I will make the transfer after the Deep Clade comes through and see what happens.

I saw that ISOGG list had a long list of apparently new Z-series SNPs but skips from Z19 to Z34, hence my confusion about Z20.

Comment

Z20 is very close to Z19. A hungover touch typist could have make a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by hcolson View Post
          Thanks for the tip. I will make the transfer after the Deep Clade comes through and see what happens.

I saw that ISOGG list had a long list of apparently new Z-series SNPs but skips from Z19 to Z34, hence my confusion about Z20.
          When you transfer Geno 2 results to your FTDNA account, you will only see those SNPs that FTDNA currently "recognizes" in its own menu of testable SNPs. On the other hand, if you are a member of any of FTDNA's haplogroup projects you full list of Geno 2 SNPs will appear in the project's SNP view.

As yet, there is no comprehensive haplotree showing the positions of all of the SNPs that the Geno 2 chip tests for. However, the U106 haplogroup project's special interest discussion group is keeping track of those which are under U106 as those positions are determined, case by case.

If you are confirmed U106, you may join that group and we would welcome that.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...6/default.aspx

Update: The U106 work-in-progress tree currently shows Z20 on the same level as Z8 and Z5.
          Last edited by gtc; 5 February 2013, 07:45 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Geno uses alpha-numeric ordering for SNPs

Many haplogroups have multiple SNPs at the same level. The National Geographic Society (NGS) uses an alpha-numeric ordering to determine which of the multiple concurrent SNPs they use.

In the case of Z20/Z8, they both have the same letter (Z) but in strict alpha-numeric terms 2 comes before 8, so NGS lists Z20 for this level.

I would encourage you to transfer your results to FTDNA and to join the U106 Haplogroup Project (if you have not already done so).

Comment

Thanks for the help and encouragement. FTDNA has me "confirmed" U106, so I will submit a request to join the group today.

Comment

Working...
              X