All Genographic results full letters? e.g. U,L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Genographic results full letters? e.g. U,L

My results tell me i'm a U, their map and all others that i've seen show U near Lithuania/Finland but the trail doesn't go any further. I am Indian as is every one my mothers side and has been for generation after generation. I've read notes elsewhere that U7 is an Indian Haplogroup. So should i assume i am U7? does anyone know if there is a reason why the Genographic project didn't bother to break my group down and tell me i'm U7? or do they not break anyones group down? To my mind my result is very much incomplete because i cannot see the Journey of my U genes to or from India.

Long journey ahead!

Nothing to be confused about, Fey. Your $99 bought you a ticket for the first leg of your journey. More tests will be necessary to resolve what subclade of U you belong to, however I'm not the person to tell you what tests are currently available.

Comment

>So should i assume i am U7

definitely you shouldn't. Only the sequence type is the reason to place it in a haplogroup.

Comment

thanks Victor well i'm not going to shell out more £'s on more tests, think i'll just stay a little a bit longer where i am before carrying on with my journey its only a bit of fun anyway.

vraatyah when you say sequence i assume you the HVR sequence that came with the U result 16309G, 16519C, 16318T.

Well maybe as more people are tested more and more people will post results on the web and there will be more pins on the world map.

Ta

Comment

No more confusion!

Exactly. As more people get tested you may be able to narrow down your sub-group just by comparing your mutations to others'.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Fey
          thanks Victor well i'm not going to shell out more £'s on more tests, think i'll just stay a little a bit longer where i am before carrying on with my journey its only a bit of fun anyway.

vraatyah when you say sequence i assume you the HVR sequence that came with the U result 16309G, 16519C, 16318T.

Well maybe as more people are tested more and more people will post results on the web and there will be more pins on the world map.
          Ta

Comment

it's a real U7 and most sequences that match your hvs1 type are from Northern and Central India, Iran and Near East.
            Last edited by vraatyah; 8 September 2005, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Many thanks Vraatyah obviously a mine of information!

Now I wonder why the geno project people couldn't just have told me that? maybe it would have meant Dr. Spencer Wells having to record too many info. videos :-) if they were to break it down further, or maybe the point is just to identify the origin of the main group, afterall thier focus is the study of indigenous groups/tribes.

Ta

Comment

Working...
              X