Geno 2.0 data file size ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geno 2.0 data file size ???

My Geno 2.0 data file size is 737 KB. My FTDNA autosomal data file size is 7568 KB. My FTDNA x chromosome data file size is 191 KB. If the files contain similiar information why is the Geno 2.0 so small?

Are you looking at the file size for the file you downloaded from the site, or the unzipped file?

NGS has "zipped" the file, to make it smaller (as a way to make it easier on their servers to download the information).

There are currently two versions of the uncompressed Geno download. The original download was quite a bit larger, and some data in it apparently caused an issue (and downloads were unavailable for some for almost a week). When they "fixed" the issue, they also trimmed back much of the file size (which has caused its own issues for people looking at the mt-DNA data).

Comment

Originally posted by rdegnen View Post
      My Geno 2.0 data file size is 737 KB. My FTDNA autosomal data file size is 7568 KB. My FTDNA x chromosome data file size is 191 KB. If the files contain similiar information why is the Geno 2.0 so small?
      Geno 2.0 covers 130K autosomal SNP's plus a much smaller menu of Y and Mt SNP's, in all, just a fraction of the hundreds of thousand autosomal SNP's covered by FTDNA FF.

Geno 2.0's autosomal SNP's were chosen to yield "similiar information" as FF only as regards deep ancestry.

Comment

All GZ files

The FTDNA and Geno2.0 are both GZ files. The Geno 2.0 were downloaded 12/18/2012.

Comment

Working...
        X