Understanding Raw Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    Yes, mutations at the same location on the y have been known to occur in different haplogroups. They're called parallel mutations. They may be private mutations, that have occurred recently within one paternal line, or they may define a new subclade of the haplogroup where the new mutation is found.

ISOGG's ySNP index has examples of these parallel mutations - http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_YDNA_SNP_Index.html - which are given the same name as the original SNP with ".x" added. One example is L159.1, defining I2a1a, and L159.2, defining R1b1a2a1a1b3a5a.
    Thanks! I also noticed that a deletion can be ancestral/negative (M147) and so also positive if 'D' is in the derived position - correct?

Comment

Are Geno 2.0 using the DNAtribes geographical split as indicators for testers ........or as some form of relationship between companies.

DNAtribes , has southern italy as greek, austria as German etc etc .

Comment

Where is the raw data at?

I was looking at my results, but nowhere did I see anything about raw data, downloading it or tranferring it to FTDNA. I don't see any of that. Where can I find my raw data?

Comment

Understanding Y data

From reading the posts on this thread I have the idea that the data in the column labled Allele2 has no value (delete it) and the data in the column labled Allele1 are my test result. Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Applegatej1 View Post
            From reading the posts on this thread I have the idea that the data in the column labled Allele2 has no value (delete it) and the data in the column labled Allele1 are my test result. Is that correct?
            Not quite Applegatej1,

There are a handful of SNPs where they had to gerry-rig the result (as the chip had a difficult time distinguishing a positive from a negative).

So, if you have a split result in a Y-DNA SNP, it would usually mean that you are positive for this SNP. However, I have also seen cases where a split result means the chip is failing to read the SNP properly. (Somewhat of a mess, but it is what it is!)

Comment

FTDNA has my terminal SNP as L2 and Geno 2.0 puts it as Z49. As best as I can determine ISOGG has my downstream phonology as show below. Could someone help me understand how some one could have positive SNPs below a negative one? Also ISOGG considers Z51 a private SNP; how many people need to test positive for that SNP before it is no longer considered private?

L2+.....Z367-.....L20-.....Z35-
              ...........L196-
              ...........Z49(split)+.....Z142-.....L562+.....Z57-
              ..............................................Z51+
              Last edited by Applegatej1; 1 December 2013, 05:25 PM. Reason: spacing

Comment

Working...
              X