Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do Geno 2.0 results show when printed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Geno 2.0 results show when printed?

For those of you who have received the results of your Geno 2.0 kits:
    1. Have you tried printing any of your result pages?
    2. If so, are the printed pages tailored for printing? In other words, instead of printing exactly what's on the screen, do they instead have a specific version made for print (possibly via a "print" button on the screen)? This would save paper, by omitting any page backgrounds, unnecessary headers, etc., and just show the pertinent results (text and any charts).
    3. If the printed pages are as seen on screen, how is that working for you? Do you find most pages to fit on one printed page, or do they get cut off midway?
    4. A statement on the Nat. Geo. "Buy the Kit" page says:
    "Plus, we’ve designed the Geno 2.0 kit box to serve as a beautiful keepsake to store your results after you access them online."
    Since the Geno 2.0 kit box is not 8.5" x 11", I'm wondering how that's supposed to work - maybe we're supposed to fold the pages in half?

I did write to the Genographic project asking these questions, but didn't get any reply, so I'm hoping some of you might enlighten me.

The print button just prints the web page. The "Who Am I?" page took 3 pages to print. Very poorly done for printing.

There is also a "Share" button which allows downloading as an image or PDF. The aspect ratio of the image(1024x2070 JPG) is nowhere near the aspect ratio of a printed page. The PDF is 16.54" x 23.39", also not a good aspect ratio for printing.

I'll probably print everything to PDF files, then cobble the relevant parts together in a single PDF.

Comment

Thanks - that's what I was afraid of. I'm still waiting for my results to see how it looks myself.

Comment

Genographic reply

Heard back from the Genographic project regarding any aspects of printing the pages, fitting in the kit box, etc.

Bottom line: The results are not designed to be printed out, since they are interactive, and the box (as is obvious) will not fit 8.5 x 11" pages.

I was interested in printing the pages, since
        1) The site said the box would be a keepsake to store the results. Now, I suppose results saved to a CD or thumb drive would fit, and thus satisfy that statement!
        2) I felt that a version designed to be printed would be easier for my elderly father to deal with, after printing. Even though he does have a computer & iPad, he cannot always follow everything online as younger folks do, and I anticipate that dealing with results only on screen may present some difficulties for him.
        3) Properly designed printed results, collected in a binder for example, would be easier to pass around and share at a gathering of relatives (or multiple copies to distribute). I can't see a passel of folks sitting around a computer screen, and then have delays viewing the results due to a busy server. I know there is a share option, but I'll have to judge that when I get my results and see how it works.

So, for the time being at least, this is how it is, and I guess we will deal with what we get. It would just be nice to have an option other than screen viewing.

Comment

If you want to do alittle bit of leg work, you could take a screen capture (ctrl + prt sc on a PC and then paste into something like Paint to edit.
          then paste relevent images into Word to make a printed report.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like it would do the trick for what I might need.

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
            If you want to do alittle bit of leg work, you could take a screen capture (ctrl + prt sc on a PC and then paste into something like Paint to edit.
            then paste relevent images into Word to make a printed report.

Comment

Working...
            X