Haplogroup M* South Siberia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup M* South Siberia

OK, not sure where to go next with this. My wife's mtDNA HVR-1 returned today, the HVR-2 is still pending. FTDNA is calling her an M*. Her maternal lineage is ethnic Buryat, from the region on the western shore of Lake Baikal in Siberia. I have only found one article about this, at

http://genetics.faseb.org/genetics/ashg99/f1102.htm

and this article refers to 25% of Buryats having a "16223T sequence" that if I read it correctly, marks them as belonging to the root group that gave rise to B, C and D. My wife has this marker. It is unclear to me if FTDNA's designation of M* means that she is specifically NOT assignable to B,C or D, or if other testing would be necessary to determine this. Her mutations thus far are:

16129A
    16223T
    16274A
    16278T
    16362C

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate it.

Exactly the same hvs1 type 129-223-274-278-362 was published at least twice: 2 identical sequences in Pakendorf's paper (Buryats) and 1 in Derenko et al. 2002. (Sojots). Dr Derenko classified her sample as G2*. In your case I'd like to have hvs2 info or 4831HhaI result to distinguish this type from D4/M*.

one important detail: from what position does FT sequence the hvs1? what is their L-primer?

Valery
    Last edited by vraatyah; 20 August 2005, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Thank you!! I was hoping for that kind of information. There are only 250,000 Buryats in the world and they all know each other, it seems; they have also been tested quite a bit because of their location, so I am not surprised and rather pleased to see that these mutations are shared with other known Buryat studies.

Our HVS-1 results came out yesterday but the HVS-2 results are apparently still pending. I am not sure why they are delayed. Once they are available I will let you know, and I thank you again for your help.

Jeff Schweitzer

Comment

Valery, just adding--I am not sure if this is the answer you want--the HVS-1 sequencing starts at position 16010.

Comment

>starts at position 16010

OK

Comment

Looking over the literature available on line I can see how difficult it might be to establish a specific mtDNA haplogroup without RFLP testing, which Family Tree DNA does not do. If the HVS-2 results leave the haplogroup still ambiguous, I will look elsewhere to see if I can get further testing done. My wife's matriline is from the Olkhon region, on the Western shore of Baikal, not far from the Sojot homeland, though my wife is not familiar with that group (she left as a child and grew up largely in Yakutsk, Ulan-Ude and Irkutsk). The Buryats certainly seem to be a polyphyletic group. It is my impression that the Western Buryats were culturally more Russified, but genetically may have been somewhat more isolated and have had less interaction with Mongolia and other regions to the south in the last few hundred years as well. All the family names in her background are Russified versions of Buryat names, as opposed to those in Ulan Ude which tend to be of Tibetan derivation.

Valery/Vraatyah, you have a very interesting website, with some interesting photos...

Comment

Working...
            X