Raw Data from Geno 2.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Data from Geno 2.0?

Hello, I'm new to understanding the whole DNA experience, although I have taken the Geno 1.0 and 2.0 tests, as well as the Ancestry DNA test. I have my results back from the Geno 2.0 test, and I found the place I can download a .csv file with my sequenced genetic information, but when I try to open it, it says the file is too large. Any ideas on how to open it? I'm on an iMac with Numbers as my spreadsheet program, but I also have Excel, though I can't figure out how to tell the file to open using Excel.

I'd like to send it to Dr. McDonald to be analyzed, but do I need to do a Family Finder test and send those results?

I'm a little confused.

I'm a female and don't have a brother or father to send their information.

Does anyone know if NG still has the Geno 1.0 results online, I think the sequence was on that site, and I might be able to print it out and send it to him.
    Last edited by TribalCat; 4 December 2012, 06:57 PM.

Thanks anyway, I finally got the file to open using TextEdit

Comment

Geno 2.0

@TribalCat

I don't think he is doing anything with the Geno results yet. He of course is analyzing the FTdna raw data and 23&me raw data. He will be going away in a few days and asked for people to send data only up to Dec 10th. He will be back in the beginning of January 2013 and will resume analyzing.

Comment

Originally posted by auntsha View Post
        @TribalCat

I don't think he is doing anything with the Geno results yet. He of course is analyzing the FTdna raw data and 23&me raw data. He will be going away in a few days and asked for people to send data only up to Dec 10th. He will be back in the beginning of January 2013 and will resume analyzing.
        Thank you. I did get hold of him tonight and sent him the data I had from Geno 2.0, but he said it wasn't as good as data I could get from other tests, but he didn't tell me yet which tests would be better. Do you know? Is the FTdna data different from the Geno 2.0 data? And is it different from the Family Finder test?

Comment

Dr Doug McDonalds developped a program to analyse results from 23andme and Family Finder from Family Tree DNA. At the moment, he is only able to analyse the markers the Geno 2.0 has in common with these other tests, so the results will be of course inferior. It should greatly improve when he is able to use all the Geno 2.0 markers.

I would advise you to read this article which will tell you what else you can already do with your data: http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...resources.html

I (and I guess the other people on this forum too) will be glad to help if you need it.

Sincerely,

Itaï Perez.
          Last edited by Itai; 5 December 2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Itai View Post
            Dr Doug McDonalds developped a program to analyse results from 23andme and Family Finder from Family Tree DNA. At the moment, he is only able to analyse the markers the Geno 2.0 has in common with these other tests, so the results will be of course inferior. It should greatly improve when he is able to use all the Geno 2.0 markers.

I would advise you to read this article which will tell you what else you can already do with your data: http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...resources.html

I (and I guess the other people on this forum too) will be glad to help if you need it.

Sincerely,

Itaï Perez.
            Thank you! I'll look into taking those other tests, too. Is the Population Finder yet another test, or does it use the results of the Family Finder test?
            Last edited by TribalCat; 5 December 2012, 03:15 AM.

Comment

Geno

@TribalCat

FTDNA has Population finder and gives you matches and raw data to analyze..23&me a more health related site gives you those type of results plus a clue to ethnicity and Relative Finder list which gives you matches. This test is more expensive and it is hard to communicate with matches from there but raw data is provided for outside analysis. I think most are there for Health results and not genealogy so not friendly except for their boards (people are terrific and informative). A third company is Ancestry.com DNA test which everyone is taking now ( slightly cheaper) but gives you a population finder ((ethnicity) and matches but NO raw data as of yet so it cannot be analyzed by anyone. They might change that in the future. .

Comment

Originally posted by auntsha View Post
                @TribalCat

A third company is Ancestry.com DNA test which everyone is taking now ( slightly cheaper) but gives you a population finder ((ethnicity) and matches but NO raw data as of yet so it cannot be analyzed by anyone. They might change that in the future. .
                AncestryDNA stated that they WILL release the raw data in "early 2013" which is only 26 days away.

What will happen first?: The release of raw data from AncestryDNA or the release of our Geno 2.0 y-DNA results.

Comment

Originally posted by TribalCat View Post
                  Hello, I'm new to understanding the whole DNA experience, although I have taken the Geno 1.0 and 2.0 tests, as well as the Ancestry DNA test. I have my results back from the Geno 2.0 test, and I found the place I can download a .csv file with my sequenced genetic information, but when I try to open it, it says the file is too large. Any ideas on how to open it? I'm on an iMac with Numbers as my spreadsheet program, but I also have Excel, though I can't figure out how to tell the file to open using Excel.
                  I don't have a Mac, but you may be able to use Excel if you open Excel first, then use its " File | Open " dialog (or whatever its called on the Mac) to locate your CSV file. The CSV file has 154,621 lines in it, so you will need the equivalent of Excel 2007 or higher. Older versions were limited to 64K lines.

For people with Excel 2007 or higher, I have written a spreadsheet macro to convert the GenoChip raw data download to the format used by 23andMe, which many 3rd party utilities can handle.

Please write to me directly [email protected] if you'd like a copy of my spreadsheet GenoConvertTemplate.xlsm. In return, I will ask for your feedback on the instructions, general method, any refinements, and how the output file fares when used with your favorite 3rd party utilities. Note that the output file uses Build 37 numbers for the chromosomal locations of the SNPs. FTDNA currently uses Build 36 numbers, so you may not be able to mix and match files in utilities that key off the SNP position instead of the rs number.

I have received a couple of raw data files, and the concordance rate is very good when results are compared with the person's 23andMe file. The GenoChip and 23andMe files have 102,789 autosomal+X SNPs in common. The number of different base calls was 22 for one file and just 4 for the other file.

My spreadsheet covers only data lines with rs numbers (chromosomes 1-22 and X). James Lick is covering mtDNA SNPs, and Y SNPs will also need special handling.

James Lick would appreciate receiving examples of GenoChip data for his utility http://dna.jameslick.com/mthap/. His e-mail is [email protected]. If you have mtDNA results from FTDNA, send those along as well.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses! I'll be taking the FTdna test next. Dr. McDonald already sent back my results today (he's quick!), but that was just with the Geno 2.0 data. It's very interesting what he found out so far, and it matches up very well with what my genealogical research has turned up. I guess after I send the FTdna data, the results will be even more fine tuned.

Comment

Working...
                    X