Delay in Releasing Geno 2.0 results for men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay in Releasing Geno 2.0 results for men

I have recently received a posting on another forum from Charles Moore as follows:

I have been officially informed as a member of the ISOGG Y-Tree Committee that Geno 2.0 results are not expected to be released for the male participants for another one to two weeks. This news ultimately comes from Spencer Wells and Bennett Greenspan.

However, there is a lot of good hiding behind this delay. They are being continually surprised, particularly in Haplogroups I, J, and R, that SNPs previously thought to be multiple SNPs defining the same subclade levels, are in fact actually layering out the tree. Yeeha!

The large number of tests of a large number of SNPs are apparently revolutionizing the Y tree. Even some major classification levels, potentially affecting some long-known ancestral naming conventions such as "R1b" could potentially be at risk of being changed by the layering taking place.

I was not given any specifics, but we can look at subclade levels on the R1b-U106 Comprehensive Tree where there are a large number of SNPs with the background painted green or yellow, and see the potential layering that might take place over time as more guys get tested for Geno 2.0. The clade defined by Z5 is one potential example where layering might take place.

Although I was told to expect the results in one to two weeks, the publication of the new tree itself is another matter. Spencer and Bennett decided to further delay the publication of the new tree for the simple reason of the fact that it is changing too rapidly as a result of all the tests they are running. Despite the frustration of the delay, this is really great news. I imagine that these guys fully realize that they have to pull these triggers regardless, but it really is terrific that this chip is having this significant effect on the tree, and that a sufficiently large number of initial "blind" testers signed up, to cause all of this revolution to occur.

I was not told whether any list of SNPs or locations or an update to TK's draft tree or yMap would accompany the release of the results, or not. Obviously if not, that would be rather frustrating if we have to wait for publication of the tree to understand where the CTS SNPs are located. So on this point, I am merely "hopeful".

Nevertheless, the bottom line is that we have a lot of SNPs already in our group, painted green or yellow on the tree, that Ray will be reporting on his spreadsheet as soon as the results are released and we send him our raw data. So we might begin to see some of that potential layering taking place as Ray updates his sheet.

So it is unfortunate about the delay, but we might have a nice Christmas present.

Ray reports that at least 18 of our testers are now waiting in QC, otherwise known as the Alcatraz of DNA, from which there is no escape, until Uncles Spencer and Bennett say so.

It sounds like it will be worth the wait.

Charles

Very interesting news. I'm currently at 40% so the delay won't affect me anyways. I'm very curious to see if I have any of the downstream SNPs from M222.

Comment

Originally posted by Wing_Genealogis View Post
      Although I was told to expect the results in one to two weeks, the publication of the new tree itself is another matter. Spencer and Bennett decided to further delay the publication of the new tree for the simple reason of the fact that it is changing too rapidly as a result of all the tests they are running.
      They have a lot riding on Y so I suppose the delay is for QC as revised assignment is entirely dependent on the acceptance of the revised tree.
      Last edited by tomcat; 2nd December 2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Delay in Releasing Geno 2.0 results for men.

I've been in QC for a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping my results will be among the first.

Anyone know how the Y SNP results will be displayed? The sample pages for women do not seem to be very detailed. I'm wondering how the individual results and the new tree might connect.

Jim

Comment

I have been officially informed as a member of the ISOGG Y-Tree Committee that Geno 2.0 results are not expected to be released for the male participants for another one to two weeks.
          One or two weeks from when?

Comment

Originally posted by JTR View Post
            One or two weeks from when?
            I take it as from now.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
              I take it as from now.
              Yeah I figured it so. Oh well, I was hoping for it to come this week since I have been at 80% for a cuople of days now but it looks more like it wil be around the 10th-14th.

Comment

O.K. so then how about releasing our mtDNA & atDNA in the mean time?

BTW, it would be nice if NG or FTDNA would be more transparent and give us updates directly on their webpages.

Comment

Originally posted by aidan View Post
                  Very interesting news. I'm currently at 40% so the delay won't affect me anyways. I'm very curious to see if I have any of the downstream SNPs from M222.
                  I was going to wait until the downstream SNPs from M222 could be ordered individually from FTDNA, but it looks like it may be some time before that happens. I'm thinking it might be worth it to go ahead and order a Geno2 test, even though I'm really only interested in the Y-DNA stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Wing_Genealogis View Post
                    Ray reports that at least 18 of our testers are now waiting in QC, otherwise known as the Alcatraz of DNA, from which there is no escape, until Uncles Spencer and Bennett say so.
                    Charles
                    I'm waiting in QC.
                    I hope I'm amongst those results that help layer the new tree... that would be really cool. The only y-DNA matches I have are at the 12 level so hopefully I have given them something that they haven't seen. (as apposed to just sitting in QC)

Two more weeks in QC will be worth the wait to see all the new exciting changes!

Comment

Originally posted by brenden View Post
                      I was going to wait until the downstream SNPs from M222 could be ordered individually from FTDNA, but it looks like it may be some time before that happens. I'm thinking it might be worth it to go ahead and order a Geno2 test, even though I'm really only interested in the Y-DNA stuff.
                      Go for it. I'll let you know if I have any of the downstream SNPs from M222.

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                        BTW, it would be nice if NG or FTDNA would be more transparent and give us updates directly on their webpages.
                        I take your point, but I think that NG and FTDNA don't know what to say to the average NG-type tester just yet, other than there's been a delay. I think it's great that they have at least brought ISOGG into the loop for the benefit of those of us who follow this stuff at a deeper level.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
                          I take your point, but I think that NG and FTDNA don't know what to say to the average NG-type tester just yet, other than there's been a delay. I think it's great that they have at least brought ISOGG into the loop for the benefit of those of us who follow this stuff at a deeper level.
                          Apparently, the information shared with the ISOGG was suppossed to be kept secret.
                          Why?

Comment

Originally posted by aidan View Post
                            Go for it. I'll let you know if I have any of the downstream SNPs from M222.
                            Sounds good. I ordered the kit today, maybe by the time I get it sent back a lot of these issues that are holding up the results will have been resolved. I'm really looking forward to see how these new snps will reshape the M222 crowd, and help us define where we fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                              Apparently, the information shared with the ISOGG was suppossed to be kept secret.
                              Why?
                              Why?

I guess the only person who can answer that is CEO Bennett Greenspan.
                              ([email protected])

I find a "secret" classification laughable in this context.

Comment

Working...
                              X