List of ySNPs tested by Geno 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of ySNPs tested by Geno 2.0

Here's the information everyone interested in yDNA SNP testing has been asking about - what are the 12,000 SNPs on the y that Geno 2.0 will test. Thanks to CeCe Moore and David Reynolds for collaborating to create this spreadsheet - at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lg9fdpumz...tyfile.csv.zip - we now have a list of all SNPs tested by Geno 2.0. The list of ySNPs can be found in rows 12,074-18,415 and 20,653-25,838 and 153,715-165,621.

I looked for Z SNPs on my branch, R1b-Z326. There are SNPs included on the chip that are on the branch, but FTDNA has not yet offered for testing. Take a look at Greg Magoon's diagram of the Z SNPs below U106 at https://www.box.com/s/7ae5f36a90c474e3ab81 The SNPs in red are offered for testing by FTDNA on the Advanced Orders menu and those in black are not yet offered.

Looking at my Z326 branch, Z314-319, Z322-325 and Z308-309 are on the Geno 2.0 chip, but not yet offered for testing by FTDNA. So, we may get some new subclades defined if more people on the Z326 branch test Geno 2.0.

I suggest that those in other haplogroups/subclades do the same thing and consult with their haplogroup project administrator to see which new SNPs relevant to your haplogroup/subclade not yet offered by FTDNA are on the Geno 2.0. This should help people on the fence decide whether ordering the Geno 2.0 test will be helpful in getting them into a downstream subclade from where they are now.
    Last edited by MMaddi; 21 November 2012, 10:51 PM.

MIL GRACIAS! Thank you so much. I've been waiting for this exact info for forever.

Comment

My computer wouldn't let me open up a .csv file. I'll have to try and find a way to do it. MMaddi, thank you so much for the info though.

V/r,
      Don Potter Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
        Here's the information everyone interested in yDNA SNP testing has been asking about
        Thanks.

However, on the topic of geno 2.0 I have a much more basic and seemingly very stupid question:

Although the geno 2.0 test reputedly supersedes FTDNAs now discontinued Deep Clade test I see no where on my FTDNA account any information on how to order the geno 2.0 test - preferably in a manner that does not require a new DNA-sample.

So how do I order the geno 2.0 test - preferably without sending a new DNA-sample ?

Thanks again,
        -Lars.
        Last edited by Lklundin; 22 November 2012, 09:26 AM. Reason: "try and use long words"

Comment

Originally posted by Lklundin View Post
          So how do I order the geno 2.0 test - preferably without sending a new DNA-sample ?
          You can order the test here. It requires fresh samples though, so you'll have to do a buccal swab again.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Potter View Post
            My computer wouldn't let me open up a .csv file. I'll have to try and find a way to do it. MMaddi, thank you so much for the info though.

V/r,
            Don Potter Jr.
            Open it with MS Excel or another spreadsheet program if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lklundin View Post
              Thanks.

However, on the topic of geno 2.0 I have a much more basic and seemingly very stupid question:

Although the geno 2.0 test reputedly supersedes FTDNAs now discontinued Deep Clade test I see no where on my FTDNA account any information on how to order the geno 2.0 test - preferably in a manner that does not require a new DNA-sample.

Thanks again,
              -Lars.
              There's no way to order Geno 2.0 without providing a new DNA sample. The test is only offered by the Genographic Project, not FTDNA, which actually does the testing for the Genographic Project.

When Geno 2.0 was first announced by the Genographic Project this summer, there were indications from FTDNA that they would eventually offer it as a test of their own. But FTDNA seems to have backed away from that plan.

The bottom line is at this time the only way to order Geno 2.0 is to do it through the Genographic Project and provide them with a DNA sample.

Comment

Mike, tante grazie and Buona Festa!

Comment

I can't imagine that they could do a test this large with any fewer than two new vials. The Family Finder often requires new samples as it is, so I doubt the Geno 2.0 would work with the majority of people's leftover samples.

Comment

V/r,
                    Don Potter Jr.
                    What you're downloading is a zip file. Did you unzip the file to get the actual .csv file? Once you have it unzipped, all you need to opern a .csv file is Excel or one of the free spreadsheet programs, like Open Office Calc. You can download Open Office at http://www.openoffice.org/download/

Comment

V/r,
                      Don Potter Jr.
                      A .csv file is plain text. If you don't have Excel or another spreadsheet, then any application that can open plain text files can also open .csv.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                        Here's the information everyone interested in yDNA SNP testing has been asking about - what are the 12,000 SNPs on the y that Geno 2.0 will test. Thanks to CeCe Moore and David Reynolds for collaborating to create this spreadsheet - at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lg9fdpumz...tyfile.csv.zip - we now have a list of all SNPs tested by Geno 2.0. The list of ySNPs can be found in rows 12,074-18,415 and 20,653-25,838 and 153,715-165,621.

I looked for Z SNPs on my branch, R1b-Z326. There are SNPs included on the chip that are on the branch, but FTDNA has not yet offered for testing. Take a look at Greg Magoon's diagram of the Z SNPs below U106 at https://www.box.com/s/7ae5f36a90c474e3ab81 The SNPs in red are offered for testing by FTDNA on the Advanced Orders menu and those in black are not yet offered.

Looking at my Z326 branch, Z314-319, Z322-325 and Z308-309 are on the Geno 2.0 chip, but not yet offered for testing by FTDNA. So, we may get some new subclades defined if more people on the Z326 branch test Geno 2.0.

I suggest that those in other haplogroups/subclades do the same thing and consult with their haplogroup project administrator to see which new SNPs relevant to your haplogroup/subclade not yet offered by FTDNA are on the Geno 2.0. This should help people on the fence decide whether ordering the Geno 2.0 test will be helpful in getting them into a downstream subclade from where they are now.

thanks

It a pity that Geno took a stance of a November 2011 as the cut-off

It means the new T1a3 branch is missing

Lucky I am in the T1a2 branch

Comment

Here is a helpful chart for L21 that was posted at another forum.

Since I am DF41+ and now mostly interested in DF41, it doesn't look like Geno 2.0 is going to do that much for me.

If it is applied to the Genographic Project's European samples, then it could be helpful in a broader sense, but my impression is that the Genographic Project's focus has been on the Third World. That's nice - for the Third World - but not that much of a draw for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post

Since I am DF41+ and now mostly interested in DF41, it doesn't look like Geno 2.0 is going to do that much for me.

If it is applied to the Genographic Project's European samples, then it could be helpful in a broader sense, but my impression is that the Genographic Project's focus has been on the Third World. That's nice - for the Third World - but not that much of a draw for me.
                            From the diagram you linked to, it looks like someone who's L21+ or DF13+, but hasn't tested yet for downstream SNPs, might benefit from testing Geno 2.0. Given all the SNPs downstream from those two that Geno 2.0 tests, it looks like a pretty good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post

Stevo,

Thanks for the chart. The chart shows (downstream of DF13) the "Big 6" (which I have tested negative for already), M37 (which I got tested negative for way back for some reason) and 4 others that one would seem slim of being positive for. I'm an optimist though so I ordered the test for L371 (seemingly the least restrictive of those 4).

I have since found a STR pattern (on-line) that seems to predict L371 and I'm not close to it so I'm not holding out for a postive on this test either.

V/r,
                              Don Potter Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X