Geno 2.0 Markers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gtc View Post
    There has been some suggestion that only rs numbers will be used, but we need to wait for the full details which hopefully will be provided in papers scheduled to be presented at various conferences in the next few days.
    with 13000 snps , i see rs as the only way unlees they continue with the long format as per your sig.

http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_YDNA_SNP_Index.html
    Last edited by Bartot; 6 November 2012, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartot View Post
      with 13000 snps , i see rs as the only way unlees they continue with the long format as per your sig.

http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_YDNA_SNP_Index.html
      As has been discussed elsewhere, FTDNA has announced that it will cease using the increasingly unwieldy long format in the near future.

And, not all known SNPs have an rs number.

I believe that the only required attribute to identify a particular SNP is its position ("address") on the given chromosome ... along with its mutation characteristic.

Labels such as L48 are assigned to a comparative few of all of the known SNPs.

Comment

As has been discussed elsewhere, FTDNA has announced that it will cease using the increasingly unwieldy long format in the near future.

And, not all known SNPs have an rs number.

I believe that the only required attribute to identify a particular SNP is its position ("address") on the given chromosome ... along with its mutation characteristic.

Labels such as L48 are assigned to a comparative few of all of the known SNPs.
        so, if they go down the rs path and your latest SNP ( positive) which has no rs marker could mean the your marker would be the previous one ......could make a lot of people unhappy

Anway, they need to cover 13,000 and possibly more in the future

Comment

so, if they go down the rs path and your latest SNP ( positive) which has no rs marker could mean the your marker would be the previous one ......could make a lot of people unhappy
          Not sure that I understand what you're saying.

FTDNA has stated that it will just use the "shorthand" form, so under that proposal I expect to be shown in the near future as R-Z12, instead of R-L48 as they currently show me (because at the current time FTDNA uses the way out of date YCC tree).

As regards data files, and in terms of SNP identification, my 23andMe SNP file only contains chromosome "addresses" and rs numbers (plus a few "i" numbers which I understand to be SNPs that 23andMe has not published). That file does not contain labels like L48, U106, etc.

I'm given to understand that the Geno 2 files will likewise contain rs numbers. But, as I said earlier, we won't know for sure until we are told officially, and that should happen in the next few days or so.

Comment

I joined the Genographic 2.0 project and paid my money. How long before I get my results? I did it through Family Tree DNA. Will it come on my page or do I need to go somewhere else to find the information?

Comment

Originally posted by Linda Purcell View Post
              I joined the Genographic 2.0 project and paid my money. How long before I get my results? I did it through Family Tree DNA. Will it come on my page or do I need to go somewhere else to find the information?
              I just went to FTDNA and found no way to order Geno 2.0 on their site.

If you ordered the Geno 2.0 test through the Genographic site, you likely got an order confirmation via email and will soon receive a test kit with a kit# (keep track of that kit#!!!) that you can register online. Once you have returned your sample, your registered kit# will allow you to follow your test progress and access your results online.

Comment

Linda,

I found one of your posts in another thread. Perhaps you ordered a Y and/or mtDNA test through FTDNA and gave an additional $15 to have your test results included in the first phase of The Genographic Project. If that is the case then your test results will appear on your FTDNA page.

I contributed my HVR 1 to Genographic in 2005 and was never led to believe I could access my HVR 1 on the Genographic site. I expect that has not changed.

Comment

yes of course you can because I'm doing it I was given a reference number when paying the $15 et voila comme vous dites lol, it appeared on the genographic project site (after registering with the ref given by ftdna)

Comment

I ordered my Geno 2.0 a month ago and the test is in it's final stage, Yea.
                    I also donated the results to science.

Comment

Not sure that I understand what you're saying.

FTDNA has stated that it will just use the "shorthand" form, so under that proposal I expect to be shown in the near future as R-Z12, instead of R-L48 as they currently show me (because at the current time FTDNA uses the way out of date YCC tree).

As regards data files, and in terms of SNP identification, my 23andMe SNP file only contains chromosome "addresses" and rs numbers (plus a few "i" numbers which I understand to be SNPs that 23andMe has not published). That file does not contain labels like L48, U106, etc.

I'm given to understand that the Geno 2 files will likewise contain rs numbers. But, as I said earlier, we won't know for sure until we are told officially, and that should happen in the next few days or so.
                      Geno stated last week it will only supply FTDNA witha rs number for the tested......will FTDNA then convert this? , will they "create" a short-hand marker for rs supplied by Geno in some cases?

Geno will give the tested a single letter and SNP that are found positive, you will need to find another way to identify yourself.

You will be something like R - rs????????

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                        I just went to FTDNA and found no way to order Geno 2.0 on their site.

If you ordered the Geno 2.0 test through the Genographic site, you likely got an order confirmation via email and will soon receive a test kit with a kit# (keep track of that kit#!!!) that you can register online. Once you have returned your sample, your registered kit# will allow you to follow your test progress and access your results online.
                        I was told you need to order from Geno and receive a kit - cost $199 and when you get the results you need to pay $15 to transfer to FTDNA

Comment

I was told you need to order from Geno and receive a kit - cost $199 and when you get the results you need to pay $15 to transfer to FTDNA
                          Who told you that? I hope that's incorrect. FTDNA has never charged to transfer from the Genographic Project to FTDNA. It's only if you want to transfer from FTDNA that there's $15.00 charge.

Comment

Results have started to come in for some people, I've just read.

Comment

List of Geno 2.0 Y-DNA SNPs is Here!

New NatGeo Geno 2.0 List of Y-DNA SNPs

Looks like over 12,400 ... some Known old ones (up to Nov 2011) ... but many new ones.

Need help in IDing major Haplogroups these SNPs belong to. For example I am a L371 Y-SNP in this list and that is in Y-DNA Haplogroup "R" .... more specifically "R1b"

See Excel XLS File at: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62323876/NATGEO_YDNA_SNPS.xls

Comment

Working...
                              X